Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T-Bucket Bob's Home Made Paint booth

Here it is. I finally got my Paint Booth done :cry:. Thanks Ex-Junk. Now, how do I check for cross-flow ventllation... any ideas?

T-Bucket Bob

PaintBooth004.jpg

PaintBooth002.jpg

I did mine in the garage, but had plastic hung all over the place to wall in one of the bays... for ventilation, I had a window I stuck a box fan into... sealed it off and covered the face with furnace filters... it blew the air out... for the intake air, I cracked the bay garage door open about a foot and again used furnace filters along the bottom to filter in incoming air... In a nut shell, what I called a ghetto paint booth! :eek:

Very cool booth there. :) I think you have to watch sucking paint fumes through an electric fan, they are not ignition protected and can cause the fumes to explode. I can't swear to that, but think I have read some posts on the subject.

Don

donsrods said:
...I think you have to watch sucking paint fumes through an electric fan, they are not ignition protected and can cause the fumes to explode. I can't swear to that, but think I have read some posts on the subject...

Don

Well that would sure mess up the day! Clearly, I didn't have that problem but hard to say... fan moved a ton of air and with a 8 foot wide 12 inch tall air intake, even shooting clear never got too bad or thick in there...

I know, I've done the same thing, I put two big box fans at the bottom of the garage door and brought it down on top of them, it sucked the fumes out pretty well. But on some forum someone mentioned that the fumes are highly explosive and a pilot light from a water heater or the fan motors can trigger an explosion. Don't know how true that is, but just wanted to mention it.

One thing I DO KNOW for sure........don't spray paint in the garage while the clothes dryer is running. All the surrounding air gets sucked into the dryer, and my ex-wifes white nurses uniforms turned out the same shade purple I was painting my frame!! :eek: (and I still can't figure out why she left me!:confused::):lol:)

Don

When I was doing body work for a living (early 60s) we had an expolsion proof motor and switch in our paint booth. On another note two fellas painting a boat some time back used bed sheets on a 2x4 framework dont know what they used for a exhaust fan. looked good when they were through...Francis

Nice job, BOB!:lol:

Martin said:
For cross ventilation try spraying an aerosol paint can and see where it goes.

Yep... we had cross ventilation... window with fan removing air for the paint area was in the front side of the garage, main door was in rear which was air-intake... so worked pretty well..., again, used furnace filters to keep dust down. My furnace doesn't have a pilot light so we were good to go there... just turned the breaker off to the furnace to make sure it didn't fire up!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back