Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

t bucket engines

thanks for all the suggestions, some of which i had not thought of. i am currently building my first T, a 27 roadster. I already have a one pc. 350 to go in it. I have not tried to keep the weight to a minimum on this car since it will be a learing experience, and we are building a 23 T bucket for my brother at the same time. but i got to thinking what if you really planned for a minimum safe weight and powered it with something like a 4 valve 4 cylinder or a chev. inline 250 six with a weight about 1200 lbs. and about 150 to 175 hp or more, that would really be fun to drive. i have picked up a lot of information from the forums and a lot of it applies to saving weight. i am not at all concerned about fuel economy. maybe just something different and fun. any more suggestions?

Brucer said:
your better off with the 283, in the long run it will be way cheaper than hopping up an inline 4 or 6, they get pretty expensive pretty quick...

just put a good set of heads on the 283, 1.94 and 1.5 valves will be plenty, if you can find a set of the gm lean burns off a 305 they would work great and they will give that 283 a little bit of torque, and be cheap.. dont go with too much lift and it'll run great..pick a good converter, and tranny and it'll be decently effecient ..

Brucer has a point.....go with the 283.......you can go as crazy as y ou want and get any # for Horses........if you got the money you can get the #'s on the dyno!.....and they're light to boot.

I have a 250 six that came out of a 1980 Chevy pickup that I was going to use. Sometime in the 70s, or maybe before, Chevy made the intake manifold part of the cylinder head so to do what i wanted I was going to have to find an earlier head. I decided that rather than be different and since I was going to have to spend real money anyway I would go with either a 383 or a 406. Here are a couple of sites that have 4 and 6 cylinder stuff:

Clifford Performance :: Make 6 = 8

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/

der Spieler said:
I have a 250 six that came out of a 1980 Chevy pickup that I was going to use. Sometime in the 70s, or maybe before, Chevy made the intake manifold part of the cylinder head so to do what i wanted I was going to have to find an earlier head. I decided that rather than be different and since I was going to have to spend real money anyway I would go with either a 383 or a 406. Here are a couple of sites that have 4 and 6 cylinder stuff:

Clifford Performance :: Make 6 = 8

Langdon's Stovebolt

Yea....I had one of these foul little engines.......were bad about running hot and having the head/intake crack.......:eek::eek::eek::eek:They came in some of the Chevy Nova's of that period..........

I did some work for a guy and he owed me so when he crashed his buick V6 5 speed vega he had it towed to my place. the engine had just been rebuilt with a hot cam. holly 4 barrel ..bored 20 over. I put it in my track T and had plenty of room and enough power. his bill was about 20 % of what the engine work cost him. 2 weeks before he crashed it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back