Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

t bucket engines

tea tom

I would like some suggestions on 4 or 6 banger engines for a lightweight t bucket. These must be readily available domestic engines for a rear drive setup, and have a readily available transmission setup. Someone suggested a pontiac 4 valve,but i don't know about the rear drive trans setup. Thanks tea tom

I was also wondering about the chev 4.3 V 6 it is a 350 with the two back cyl shaved off. I know that is over simplifing but any turbo 200-700R4 would fit it and their is a lot of aftermarket stuff for them . I think Edlebrock makes a manafold, headers would be easy to find and the motors should be fairly cheap to find. And in a T the power would be pleanty . It also has a very small footprint compared to most motors. IMHO

rooster, good suggestion except i have had 2 vehicles with that engine and as far as gas mileage and power you might as well use a 350.

Your right about that i got sold a bill of goods when i purchased one in a van about 12 years ago. I thought you were just going for something diff i didnt know fuel was the driving force. OOPS sorry my bad

When you put a little engine in a big vehicle it has to work harder and therefore use more fuel. Now in a light weight T it is a whole different ballgame. That little 4.3 V6 would loaf along giving very respective fuel economy. And as rooster mentioned, parts are readily available and they are a good looking engine as well.

Jim

One of my boats had a 4.3 in it, great engine. Lots of power (for a 6) and the fuel economy was pretty good too. I've seen some dressed up ones in hot rods, and until you count sparkplugs you don't realize you aren't looking at a sbc.

However, here is my take on small motors in hot rods: We build these to be more fun than our daily drivers, and part of that fun comes from not fearing too many other cars when you pull up to a red light. Not that we race from red light to red light, but it is nice to feel the push in your back when you slightly lean on it.

Don

My mother had a 4.3 in a Chevy van she used to drive to Arizona and back every winter. It got around 20 mpg which I figure wasn't bad for a brick. Of course she never drove over 55 mph. The 60 degree V6 like the 2.8/3.1/3.4 could be a good option for a track roadster. It's small and compact and would easily fit under the hood. I had one I was putting in an MG a few years ago until I sold it. A lot of MG drivers are doing this conversion. Here is a company in Grandview, MO that does engine work and sells parts for these motors. A.R.I. Engines GM 60-degree V6 Products and Information

One of my all-time favorite T-bucket concepts was the Red Baron by Tom Daniels. It was actually the first model car I ever built as a kid and probably sparked my interest in building a real bucket.

That Mercedes inline-six engine was just plain cool. If different is what you're after, an inline-six would get my vote. There are several to choose from that would bolt up to a good ol' American drivetrain.

Now if only my Cummins diesel wasn't so darn heavy..........

Mike

For a 4 cylinder I would go with a 2.3 liter ford and a manual tranny with the right gearing that would run great,and wouldn't be no slouch..
6cylinder I would do the 3.8 liter buick basicly the grand national motor without the turbo..

Another good inline might be the old 300 inline ford, they are nearly indestructable, not bad economy..

You could put a 350 chevy in a T and put a programable fuel injection system on it and get over 20mpg easy I think, probably around 22 with the right cam...

I agree with Brucer the 2.3 Ford is a great motor. There are plenty of opitions, Turbo, intercooler and upgraded electronics. I had a T-bird that had a intercooled turbo that I was able to get 300,000 miles out of. The car fell apart before the engine. I also like the 5 speed, altough not sure I'd like that in a "T", lbut an auto was also available. Good luck.

donsrods said:
One of my boats had a 4.3 in it, great engine. Lots of power (for a 6) and the fuel economy was pretty good too. I've seen some dressed up ones in hot rods, and until you count sparkplugs you don't realize you aren't looking at a sbc.

However, here is my take on small motors in hot rods: We build these to be more fun than our daily drivers, and part of that fun comes from not fearing too many other cars when you pull up to a red light. Not that we race from red light to red light, but it is nice to feel the push in your back when you slightly lean on it.

Don

I'm with you Don, Hot Rod and fuel economy don't belong in the same sentence. There's no replacement for displacement.

I have a sonoma with the 4.3 and 5sp. the new venture 5sp is junk, but that v6 is great. barks the tires and gets 19-21 around town and 23-26 on the road and will haul 3 flatheads and a trany across town!:)

Concider this. Henry designed and built the T for a 40 hp motor.

Ron

After toying with the idea of a 4-banger, I'm going with my 283 sbc...figure it'll be cheaper and easier to rebuild. Besides, it may be able to pull my boat :)

tea tom said:
I would like some suggestions on 4 or 6 banger engines for a lightweight t bucket. These must be readily available domestic engines for a rear drive setup, and have a readily available transmission setup. Someone suggested a pontiac 4 valve,but i don't know about the rear drive trans setup. Thanks tea tom

Both the 4 and the 6 have tons of equipment out there for them, and they're durable if built correctly. The 4 you can get up to 400 to 500 HP with a turbo......500 to 600 with a straight 6 with siamese head setup. V6 about the same.....more with a blower..........
I welded on a setup back in the 70's where there was a inline 6 cyl. Ford, 6 individual cylinder head chambers were brazed together.......I believe it made well over 600 horses....I don't remember. I do remember the fella closing his eyes and gritting his teeth everytime he tried to start it. Ran like a Spotted Ape though..................

About the Pontiac 4 Banger.....there was a racing program that used the rear engined Fiero........they were quite stout......used some of Smokey Yunicks tricks doing the lean burn thing to get the horses way on up there...................:cool:

your better off with the 283, in the long run it will be way cheaper than hopping up an inline 4 or 6, they get pretty expensive pretty quick...

just put a good set of heads on the 283, 1.94 and 1.5 valves will be plenty, if you can find a set of the gm lean burns off a 305 they would work great and they will give that 283 a little bit of torque, and be cheap.. dont go with too much lift and it'll run great..pick a good converter, and tranny and it'll be decently effecient ..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back