Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T-bucket Front Suspension

gsagona said:
How can you tell the panhard bar is not adjustable? Also, where would I find one (an adjustable bar) online? Thanks for your help gentlemen!
An adjustable bar would have rod ends that screw in and out of the bar to adjust the length in small increments, similar to a tie-rod or drag link. The most commonly used rod ends are referred to as "Heims" or "Heim joints." This is what they look like...

12240747K.jpg

Finding a pre-fabbed panhard bar that would fit your application is going to be pure dumb luck. You'll probably have to have one made. I would go ahead and take your bar off, flip your shackles, make sure the axle is centered on the frame, measure eye to eye from the frame mounting point to the axle mounting point, then post that measurement here. The chassis experts (I'm not one) should be able to give you a good recommendation on proper length.

If you look closely at the pictures, you will see that there are adjustable Heim joints on both ends of that panard bar. I believe that a lot of his problem is that the bar itself is too long and the adjustment is all the way in. The bar should be mounted parallel with the ground when it is in its neutral position. As you can see in the pictures, the bar is at a downward angle from the frame mounting point. To correct this, the frame mounting point should be lowered.

Jim

gasgona,

If the bar ends up being to long you probably can just shorten one end and re-thread or tap it. Most people use a tube with a heavy enough wall thickness to do that. Just be sure to cut the end with the right hand threads. No need to have to finf a left hand tap. Good luck.

George

EX JUNK said:
If you look closely at the pictures, you will see that there are adjustable Heim joints on both ends of that panard bar.
Upon closer inspection of the pix, I believe you are correct, sir. I agree the bar itself is too long.

I took a pry bar on each of the shackles.... and within 30 seconds...thump. All is correct. The front end is off by less than 1/2 inch and there is enough room to adjust the heim joint to correct this. All has been fixed.

You guys (could be some gals too - lets not discriminate) with all your help and photos saved me time, money, effort and hair (did not need to pull any out)! If I could buy you all a beer, I would!
:)

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!

Nice to see thing worked out without having to spend any dollars.It probably handles a little bit better now to. Small things like this can make a big difference.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back