Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T/P Front Spindles

McDenny

I started working on my 23 T. For a short description, the frame sat outside for a long time. I have 1 spindle off and the other is froze in the axle, I can press is out no problem. The issue is, what do they take for parts (rotors, caliper mounts), with T/P gone, I am having a hard time finding info. Does anyone have the manual for a T/P 23 T? Any info would be great. The car was bought through T/P as a kit with a 8" Ford rear.

Your brakes will be up to you. Depending on what you want. Most people tend to use the early Ford spindles, so you'll need a bracket , rotor and caliper to fit those spindles or whatever ones you have. Speedway owns most of TP's stuff and should have what you need or you can contact RPM. He has a lot of stuff as well.

I started working on my 23 T. For a short description, the frame sat outside for a long time. I have 1 spindle off and the other is froze in the axle, I can press is out no problem. The issue is, what do they take for parts (rotors, caliper mounts), with T/P gone, I am having a hard time finding info. Does anyone have the manual for a T/P 23 T? Any info would be great. The car was bought through T/P as a kit with a 8" Ford rear.
There are some spindles "TP" I think that are ford hub size[axle bearings ect.] with Chevy backing plate hole size and arms , have Econoline kingpins,I have a set of them under my bench doing nothing. They were made to use any brakes on Econoline axle.

I do have a E copy of the T/P 23 T.
If you want Sent me your email

Get ahold of Jim at Wintec(one of our sponsors)as he was a driving force at T/P for many years and has a complete line of the parts you'll need.

The T/P spindle uses a combination of parts. The King pin is an Econoline, the hub is Ford, and the Disc brake bracketry is an early Chevy. Give me a call, I can help.
-Jim
203/294-1339
Wintec Fabrication

Just call our sponsor Wintec at the top of this page they were Total and can get you set up same Employees differnt name because they own it now.King T in Florida is Mickey that did own total before and speedway still sells Total goods because they bought out part of the line.I would start with a call to Wintec

Thanks for all the info, I will be in touch with Jim, the spindles are in pretty rough shape and I am going to try to clean them up, if not, may have to replace. I am just getting this project going, and I have a feeling it may be a long one.

Dennis

Thanks Jim at WinTec for explaining the TP spindle peculiarities. I had heard they were different, but never knew why.

I should have learned more about spindles before starting my project. I have '36 Ford spindles for which I made inner wheel bearing adaptors and caliper mounting brackets before I had a front axle. Yup, these spindles won't allow the installation of the Ford ball bearing between the axle and spindle.

Alas, I'm not (too) worried. I have thin thrust bearings installed in the small gap normally occupied by the Ford ball bearing.

I anticipate a potential problem. The thin thrust bearings are likely to indent the thrust washers in some unknown period of time. A pair of replacements a year is acceptable. It would probalby be easier to make new caliper mounting brackets for later spindles than to machine my spindes and axle for the larger bearings.

To seal the otherwise open beaings I greased'em and put an O-ring around'em

Welcome to the wrong spindle club Rotor. You are in good company. lol

Ron

OK, I am starting to get very confused, I am a mechanic by trade. but I will admit I am lost. Jim from Wintech has been extremely help-full, but I am lost to be honest. I have enclosed a picture of my front spindle. I was told it was 37-48 Ford, but I look them up and I get a total different picture, when I use a TP or Speedway spindle id sheet, it shows them as a 49-54 Chevy. If they were 37-48 Ford, they would have to be drum brakes unless someone makes a rotor to go on a hub that fits this spindle. I purchased the Chevy caliper mounts for a TP spindle through a fellow member here. Can someone shine some light on this for me??

Attachments

• DSC_0003_208.jpg
    DSC_0003_208.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0004_209.jpg
    DSC_0004_209.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0002_207.jpg
    DSC_0002_207.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0005_210.jpg
    DSC_0005_210.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0006_211.jpg
    DSC_0006_211.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0007_212.jpg
    DSC_0007_212.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0008_213.jpg
    DSC_0008_213.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0009_214.jpg
    DSC_0009_214.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 49
Here is the answer. They are Total spindles a hybrid that they had made up just for them.
I understand about the kingpins, Chevy brackets, and Ford hubs. I have the kingpins, I have the Chevy caliper brackets. What I would like to know is what year Ford hubs and Chevy calipers, or do I have to by "special" so called Ford hubs because a 37 - 48 would have drum brakes, correct? I cross reference the bearings through a parts book at work and I come up with a 46 Ford hub for drum brakes. I understand if the spindle was made just for TP, but does this mean I can only get hubs and rotors through them, or is there another hub and rotor that fit?

I'll see if I can help you here. What bolt pattern wheel do you want to use? What does that spindle mic where the bearings go on?
I will bring home my calipers tomorrow from work and measure them. I really hadn't given the wheels much thought, I thought I would have to match them to whatever hub I put on, considering the front wheels will be different from the back. I honestly just thought someone would just say "use a 19xx front hub from a xxxx car with a 19xx front rotor from xxxx car" I didn't realize TP would have made it difficult, but then again, that's how they made money, if it was easy, everyone would do it. Thanks for they help and I will get that info tomorrow.

The spindles measures .7450 +/- .005 on the outer bearing, 1.1820 +/- .005 on the inner bearing, and the seal surface is 1.5555 +/- .005 on the seal surface. The over all length of the spindle from seal surface to end of thread is approx 5 1/2".

Seal is SKF # 15620
Outer bearing SKF # BR09074
Inner bearing National # 15118

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Dennis

The spindles measures .7450 +/- .005 on the outer bearing, 1.1820 +/- .005 on the inner bearing, and the seal surface is 1.5555 +/- .005 on the seal surface. The over all length of the spindle from seal surface to end of thread is approx 5 1/2".

Seal is SKF # 15620
Outer bearing SKF # BR09074
Inner bearing National # 15118

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Dennis

Those sizes are the same as the early Ford, I got some new spindles here and miced them this morning. The sizes are the same. Now we have a bearing adapter kit that we sell that allows the use of Mopar rotors on these spindles. You would use the bearings from the Mopar and the kit comes with seals. This gives you the 5-4 1/2" Ford bolt pattern. Now is the diameter right on these rotors to work with the Chevy caliper brackets? I don't know.

So hopefully I have helped you some but not completely solved your problem. You might call Jim at Wintec and ask about this some more as he was with Total when they where in business.

Thanks RPM, I appreciate it, I have talked to Jim at Wintec, he gave me the bearing and seal numbers. I just dont like calling someone asking alot of questions, I feel like I am bothering them, specially if I am not buying anything. Jim was great to talk too and has a wealth of information, he rambled off bearing and seal numbers off the top of his head, I had to be fast with a pen to write them down !!!! I am very new to building a T Bucket and the combination of parts is sometimes confusing.

Well, took some parts to work today and started glass beading them, coming out pretty good, lots of rust from being outside for years. I have been doing alot of reading and my eyes hurt from looking at the computer screen. I have been to Jim's site several times, Speedway, and several others to gather information since I pretty much have no clue. I think I figured out that there is no "common" hub or rotor to fit my spindles, I am going to need to buy a "kit". Like I said before, I figured a " Hub from a Granada and a rotor from Mustang" for example. I did not realize that Radir, Hallcrafts, or Dayton wheels where "spindle" mounts until I read about them. Guess I better start saving up some coin so I can buy that kit :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back