Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Radiator mounting

Jhexide

im using an aluminium radiator in my T Bucket,whats the proper way to mount it to the frame,

Thanks

Well, it depends on if its alum. or if its copper, maybe even brass. Usually there are mounts coming up off the frame to attach to the radiators ears, or side brackets. Some are attached inside a radiator shaped housing, then are bolted to the frame. Some people incorperate the radiator brackets into the headlight brackets....
Look around at the T's and there are many diff. ways. Do a search, there are a few posts, the guys ought to be rolling in after they're up and had their coffee. I'm fixing to get violent here, I have not had my egg and cheese bisquit yet....

Alum.... :confused:.... duh, sorry, if you have side brackets, build some uprights out of angle iron, that will fit in the radiator housing you will be using. Whatever you do, use either some rubber/struct. foam to help hold it in place. Vibration put into the radiator will make it leak and crack.
My alum. radiator for the 460 Ford doesn't have brackets, I have a alum. channel frame that it slides down into and there is structural foam between the radiator and the channel. There is a bracket that goes across at the top that bolts into place that traps the radiator. Then, a shell goes over that....:cool::coffee:

You can get mounts from Speedway and the Vendors here on the site also, if you don't want to make your own. There are some radiator shells that incorporate the mounts, then you attach the shell to the frame at the bottom....

Last edited:
Here's how I did mine. My rad came with T-slots in the outside frame, so I used the bottom ones with aluminum angle to attach to tabs that were welded to the frame. Some folks say you should not hard-mount your rad due to vibrations, but I have had my T on the road for eight years with no rad mount issues.

Radshots002_zpsd080072b.jpg

Radshots003_zps133f06ea.jpg

Mine is similar to the above photo, except the aluminum bracket is welded to the radiator and bolts to the brackets between the frame rails.

Here's how I did mine. My rad came with T-slots in the outside frame, so I used the bottom ones with aluminum angle to attach to tabs that were welded to the frame. Some folks say you should not hard-mount your rad due to vibrations, but I have had my T on the road for eight years with no rad mount issues.

If mounted correctly, there shouldn't be any issues, such as yours.
The problems are usually when theres a pulling or tugging at the mount points when it is fastened down. Or frame flex. Alum is soft, yet strong, fit is everything. A alum. assembly such as a radiator doesn't like any twisting when being torqued down. Welding always induces stress of some kind of stress into the parent material so when attaching your radiator mounts, make sure all is straight and square so that radiator will have a nice easy life.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back