Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tfeverfred's project

Glad i could help Fred.Take a look around the rest of that site..they have alot of cool stuff at pretty good prices:)

Very nice thread you did on this build up Fred........enjoyed all of it. There is a round tank that is just like the Speedway one I am running but it has a provision for a sender. My Son bought one and I will ask him tomorrow where he got it.

I'm kind of a risk taker, so no gas gauge for me.:eek: I just look inside the filler every so often to see how much is left. Surprisingly, even with an 11 gallon tank I don't have to put much in very often. I drove all over one day and when I got gas it only took 3 gallons. These things just loaf along.

Don

Ta heck with the aluminum tank. Go with the T repo! Might want to add a piece of tubing to raise the filler cap a bit. Gas has a nasty way of coming out of the vent hole in the cap and messing up the paint on the tank and such. Voice of experience!

donsrods said:
Very nice thread you did on this build up Fred........enjoyed all of it. There is a round tank that is just like the Speedway one I am running but it has a provision for a sender. My Son bought one and I will ask him tomorrow where he got it.

I'm kind of a risk taker, so no gas gauge for me.:eek: I just look inside the filler every so often to see how much is left. Surprisingly, even with an 11 gallon tank I don't have to put much in very often. I drove all over one day and when I got gas it only took 3 gallons. These things just loaf along.

Don
Thanks, Don and the rest of you guys for the good words. It really means a lot to a beginner to read good things from you veterans.:)

I measured for the round Model T tank and it will fit, but the straps will be tight. The bracket for the watts linkage may make me adjust the straps a little, but the look would be just what my car needs.

Youngster said:
Ta heck with the aluminum tank. Go with the T repo! Might want to add a piece of tubing to raise the filler cap a bit. Gas has a nasty way of coming out of the vent hole in the cap and messing up the paint on the tank and such. Voice of experience!

Depending on how messed up it is, it could add a little charecter to the tank. I'm considering leaving it as is with no paint. I'll check it out after I get it and run it for a while. Thanks for the input!:)

Thanks for posting your build progress Fred! It has been great to see your progressand your money saving ideas (we all need those..lol). I need to get in gear and post some pics of my project. Actually, not a project, just re-design of a few things. Thanks again!!

Steering column stuff!

Today, the rest of my stuff for my steering column came in from Total P. So, I promptly measured everything about 50 times and fit it together. It went together just like it was supposed to. Tomorrow, I'll take everything to my friend in Pearland and he'll school me on welding. Again.:eek: I hope to be able to weld on my own by this summer. Might start looking for something else to put together. God knows I have a ton of ideas floating in my head already!:rulz:

So, here's the pics.

I bolted my wheel to the quick disconnect hub assembly. The color is a nice match for my interior. Then, I attached the shaft to the coupler that connects it to the steering box shaft.

steeringwheel004.jpg

Next, I put it in place and slid the column over it. I then measured the column sleeve about 50 freakin' times before I marked and cut the shaft. I got the sleeve longer than I needed because I wasn't sure about how long I really wanted my steering column to be. Sure enough, after everthing was in place, I decided to add one more inch. Now, when I sit in my car, the steering wheel is about 2 to 3 inches above my knee and at a good angle so my arm won't get tired while driving. Like I would care!:) It also won't be too tall or out of proportion to the 14" windshield I plan on running.

steeringwheel001.jpg

When I set the assembly in place, I was really surprised at how accurate my measurements and cutting were when I cut the holes for the column and brake arm.

steeringwheel002.jpg

Here's what it will look like from the drivers seat. I'll take a side shot when it's finally painted black and installed permanant. I also got the Wellnuts and spacers to mount the body to the frame. I'll post picks when everything is buttoned up.

steeringwheel003.jpg

Guys, when I saw everything mocked up, I couldn't believe how firm it fits! Hardly any movement and it wasn't even bolted in! I can't wait to do my next "test drive". I'll send flyers to the shop owners on my street before I take her out.

I want to thank EVERYONE who gave me advice on my setup, I can't belive how complicated I made it seem. I also can't belive the setup I was going to try and keep.:eek: I will keep it to remind me not to cut corners.

Re: Steering column stuff!

Atta boy Fred. We're all proud of you.

Ron

Hey, Youngster, there's a warning sticker on the hub for the steering wheel. It reads: "Warning! Driver is responsible for checking mounting of steering wheel before each race." Needless to say I'm leaving it. Adds a little drama to my T Bucket!:rulz:

Re: Steering column stuff!

Good job Fred.

When you start your weld schoolin' remember practice, practice, practice.

Well, my friend welded the coupler and steering wheel hub on. I decided to put it on tonight as well as the mounts for the body. I'm dead tired. I started at about 9PM and finished around 11:45PM. I had to move and bend and poke and curse a whole lot, but she's in and the body is mounted tight as a drum. Pics tomorrow morning, I was too tired to take any tonight.

Good night nurse!

Steering column pics

Pics of my steering column installed.

steeringwheel007.jpg

steeringwheel006.jpg

steeringwheel005.jpg

Re: Steering column pics

Fred I would like to thank you for posting your build thread I have enjoyed all the pictures the questions the answers and ideas that you and the others have came up with. It has kept me inspired to keep working on mine we are at about the same place on our builds and your thread has been fun and knowing their are others out their with limited funds to put into one of these and still make it safe and a fun daily driver has been great.
By the way this is my very first post .
Once again thanks to you and all the guy's for a great thread !!!!!!
Fred from Dumas TX

Thank you, RocknT. I have been lucky to have the wisdom of others who came before me and I thank them every day. I started loving T Buckets and hot rods almost 33 years ago. In that time, I did a lot of dreaming, but I also checked out what people were doing and how they did it. In my head, I talked myself out of doing it way too many times to count. Basicaly, I priced myself out of having fun. Hot Rods don't have to be the mega dollar, chrome plated, candy coated bank accounts that you usually see at a show. All they have to be is planned out properly. I now know that that is the secret formula. Know your limits, ask questions and NEVER give up. That is what I said to myself all through this build and I'll continue to say it as long as I live, because it applys to just about everything.

I really wish my dad could see it. He never had the time or money to finish his projects, what with raising a family. He passed away back in '99. He told me after my first car show visit that I could do it. Too bad it took me so long to get my crap in gear. A mistake I'll never repeat.

I wish you the best with your build and if you could, start a thread, post some pics and introduce yourself. There's a whole bunch of guys like you and me on this forum, along with some veterans who are more than willing to help with advice or a warm word of encouragement.:)

Keep with it, brother. The best is yet to come.

My first gauge!

My girlfriend was with me and I had to go to the auto parts store. I was just looking at their gauges and she said I could get one for my birthday, as long as it was less than $30. So, heres what I got!

tach001.jpg

Just a simple tach.:) Cost was right at $27. After I mounted it, I scrapped off the little "Made in Taiwan" sticker and tossed on a vintage sticker I had from my little collection. Kinda sets off the "Hot Rodder" image!

tach002.jpg

Afterwards, I cranked her over. It was raining, so I couldn't get a "test drive" in, but it was cool to see that Miss Behavin' was purring right at 550 RPMs. Sweet.

The details

Details. Every car seems to have them. The really good ones have a few. Whether it's a way the owner ran his wires or maybe it's a special shift knob, it's always fun to spot 'em. Well, today I got to add a little something to my T that will also make a friend feel real good.

My company imports concrete core drills from Italy and then we distribute them to companies in the states who sell them nationwide. We sometimes have their salesmen stop in to see if anything new is coming out or sometimes they just wanna shoot the bull. Well, one is a really good guy who has been excited to see my progress everytime he stops in. About 7 months ago, he gave me a door sill out of a '28 Model A. I thought it was a cool gesture and explained that I'd have to find a place for it. Up until today, I had no idea where I could put it so that he would be able to see it. Then, I saw the perfect spot!

trimpiece.jpg

Kinda looks like it belongs there.:D I can't wait for him to stop in and see that a piece he donated is in my car. The last time he saw it, I hadn't even cranked her over. Boy, won't he be surprised.:D

Re: The details

Looks good there Fred.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back