Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total brain fart moment.. angles..

TheYeti

Can't remember my geometry days to figure this one out. I need someone to help me with my geometry homework...

My seatback is sloped 11 degrees. I can't figure out how to find my angles to cut my frame rails to meet up to the seat back and then lay back down for the floor.

20220315-190327.jpg

It's a good idea to use a backer plate inside your frame rails. You can do a rosette weld either from the inside (be able to do it with a stick) or on the outside. It'll help align the frame rails and you can blast a good bead without burning thru. It doesn't have to be big either, only about 1" wide but it should go from top to bottom of the frame.

It's a good idea to use a backer plate inside your frame rails. You can do a rosette weld either from the inside (be able to do it with a stick) or on the outside. It'll help align the frame rails and you can blast a good bead without burning thru. It doesn't have to be big either, only about 1" wide but it should go from top to bottom of the frame.

Would this be better than fish plating? I was planning to fish plate both sides of the frame rail on the rear kick up everywhere it was cut and welded.

There is no right or wrong answer as long as the welds are solid, no inclusions and is full depth of the parent material. With the fish plate, you are making the weld bead longer and spreading any stress over a wider area. Some people don't like the look of fish plates. How are you going to locate your rear end? Radius Rods? Four Link? If you are going to use a FL or some kind of triangular set up you can incorporate these mounts with the fish plate.

There is no right or wrong answer as long as the welds are solid, no inclusions and is full depth of the parent material. With the fish plate, you are making the weld bead longer and spreading any stress over a wider area. Some people don't like the look of fish plates. How are you going to locate your rear end? Radius Rods? Four Link? If you are going to use a FL or some kind of triangular set up you can incorporate these mounts with the fish plate.
I've got a parallel 4 link kit here I bought from RPM like a year ago. That's a good idea making the fish plates part of the mount. The 4 link setup was the whole reason I wanted to fish plate the rear kick ups

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back