Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TUNNEL RAM

Wow, it looks i am starting a full project by itself. I run a performer intake with a demon 525 with a 5 speed manual transmission. My idea looks good but its like a breast enlargement is it necessary and with a 1 000 bucks or more i could start a second T....................:suicide:

Im not too sure that men should get their breasts enlarged. If thats one of your options, I would recommend that you blow all your cash on the tunnel ram :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I have a tunnel ram on my T coupe - its a 302 Ford and they really are dogs. I started with a pair of Holley Projection throttlebodies, then gave that idea away & got a pair of old 390s and then gave that idea away & got a pair of new 465s. Its still way too much carb for the little engine but with a polished tunnel ram and a pair of new carbs and a pair of old style K&N flowerpots it looks pretty cool. As I dont race the car I figured I could live with that big deadspot I get when I hit the accelerator

I went from the 390s to the 465s because I was told that mechanical secondaries were better suited to the tunnel ram than the vac secondary carbs.

But Im sure that Mike can put me right if Im off on a tangent

Please to clarify things breast augmentation is for females not for t-bucketers. OK for the chlutch thing ....... tp brackets yes yes tp brackets. First you go hydraulic (howe bearing with s-10 t-5 tranny.) I used the vw beetle(air cooled) principle .The brake pedal uses the clutch pedal shaft as a pivot and at the end of that shaft is the lever that actuate the clutch master cyl. Too bad words will never cover the story and my computer is long gone .I will reteive my pictures from my hard disc and start a new topic in a couple weeks. But i can tell you 5 speed in a T-buckett is completely Wicked just figure the torque i have on the first gear and the fun cruising on the hyway with 32 in tires running 100 km/h at 2200 rpm.
The 305, Performer, 525 Demon, 5 speed trans, sounds like the hot set up. Let us know how you do the clutch pedal assembly. $1000.00 will get you 1/10 of a head start on another T and seriously, talk to a psychiatrist about self-esteem issues before you get breast augmentation. You have to love yourself for who you are, not who you aren't.

John

Attachments

• wickedt 2.bmp
    71.2 KB · Views: 27
Another trick for the problems a big intake presents, build yourself a small tube "adapter" so to speak, that will make the runners now long but smaller, so the carb works much better, and it all is hidden inside that big looking intake on top of your engine... just go to one carb... A way to have your cake and eat it too... :)

Teddy , what are ya doin'???? :whisper: :gum:

A long time ago, some one at Valley Head Service explained to me how to gain more midrange by constructing an extension that was the same size as the carb opening and would extend down into the plenum of the tunnel ram, effectively lessening the amount of plenum available and directing the air/fuel flow directly straight down into the runners.
Ya understand what I mean? Hope Screaming Metal understands.

John

A long time ago, some one at Valley Head Service explained to me how to gain more midrange by constructing an extension that was the same size as the carb opening and would extend down into the plenum of the tunnel ram, effectively lessening the amount of plenum available and directing the air/fuel flow directly straight down into the runners.
Ya understand what I mean? Hope Screaming Metal understands.

John

OK John, what are you doin"!!!! :whisper: Ya know....trade secrets.... :bubble:

OKOK, since I'm gonn be out of it in a few years....the little trick of the tubes extending toward the intake runners thru the open chamber below the carb is more or less how the sheetmetal intakes make the power. Look at the chamber below the carbs and the shape. Thats how you can have the low end torque needed without really sacrificing the top end breathing ability of the tunnelram.
Well....I could sit here all day and explain the math and physics behind it....more or less, John and Ted have pretty well said it.

Seriously....if your thinking about a tunnelram, its doable and its not expensive. You can pick up a good used unit at the swapmeets for about 100-150, theres still alot of them out there. Because of the VE, (see Mikes post), you don't need a whole lotta carb. Matter-of-fact less is better with a stock 305. Now, if you were building a High compression 388 for rompin and stompin....Mike and I would give you other advice....
You can get the TR intake for around 150 used, a decent rebuildable Holley for 50, then get a holley kit to put in it....and a custom aircleaner (25 to 100, depending on how nice you want it to look), and a Mallory/Accel std.looking dist w/ electronic ignition or Pertronix type.
It'll run good on the street, with the low weight and high power to weight ratio.... like you were told....it'll still give you rocket like acceleration. And even if you decide to the 2x4's is more your style....the performance will all be in the tuning....just gotta run small carbs on the street. If done right....noone will know that those carbs aren't 600's and that the 305 isn't a 327 or a 350....well....until you really romp on it, that is! Ha!

Like Mike said in a book,Tunnel ram is a big cave and the pull for fuel of a 305 is small,so with out messing around a lot it bearly works,even on a 350 at low end it's poor,too much cave inside lets fuel fall out and make lakes that don't brun.
Hope that short enough

My opinion is that for street use, vacuum secondaries are the only way to go. The idea of using two 2 barrels (the 350s) has always been intriguing. The 2 barrels combined with the extensions down into the plenum area just might make for a snappy little set up, especially with a stick trans. Maybe even put a venturi type of choke about a third of the way into the plenum to speed things up. Wouldn't need to be much.

Maybe Mike would like to chime in, John

IF you really wanted to run your 4's., theres a way to fudge here....you could disable your back 2 barrels on both carbs. Now, if you were running the 390's, with just the front 2 bbls. of each carb running....you'd be at 390 cfm which would work with the 305. Then do the tube thing with a aluminum plate under the carb.....

On my .030 302 ford (approx 306ci) I'm running two 500CFM Edelbrock's on a mid rise dual quad manifold. As has been said before in this thread, does it work? yes. It is optimal? not really. I'm running a progressive linkage set up adjusted so the car basically runs on the back carb unless its WOT. I know I gave up some low end, mileage, and ultimately some horses, but it has the look I wanted. I may switch it over to a single carb some day, but since this isn't my daily driver and its working well, its staying on for now. It can work, but I suspect it will cost more and more effort. On the SBC (283) we built for our latest build, we are using a Performer dual plane with a 600 Edelbrock...easy pezy...

Does anyone know what the cfm of the Holley two barrels are? I know that the 4 barrels are tested differently than the 2 barrels, hence there is a difference. Since we are all used to running 4 barrel carbs and relating to their cfm measurements does anyone know how to convert the 2 barrel cfm measurements to 4 barrel measurements?

John

Does anyone know what the cfm of the Holley two barrels are? I know that the 4 barrels are tested differently than the 2 barrels, hence there is a difference. Since we are all used to running 4 barrel carbs and relating to their cfm measurements does anyone know how to convert the 2 barrel cfm measurements to 4 barrel measurements?

John

500 and 350....

500 and 350....
Screaming Metal, I know that Holley 2 barrels are 350 & 500 cfm (so are Barry Grants). 2 barrels are measured at a different pressure drop and if measured @ 4 barrel pressure drop, they would measure smaller.

I have posed the question over on the HAMB and if i'm not arrested by the HAMB Police or fed to the wolves for not researching the info, then we will have the information tomorrow.

John

I have found that a 4 barrel will give better millage than most 2 barrels, I believe it is because with a two barrel the main butterflies are larger than with the 4 barrels, as they have the rear barrels for top end when needed... So, two 4 barrel carbs with the rear barrels disconnected and blocked completely off including any fuel, would be a good working and nasty looking setup... I would be using a 4 barrel inside my blower case, but things are a bit tight, so that is why I need another GM 2 barrel that works since I wore out mine... People love the blower sound and look, I can make it quiet or loud by how tight the 4" belt is... I for sure do not need more power... :)

OK, For OneFingerJohn, heres what you want....

http://www.candsspecialties.com/ratings.html

When I flow carbs on my flowbench for blower and tunnel setups....I use a few specialized formulas that seem to conflict with how Holley gets their numbers. Some of mine has to do with the milling of the airhorns and also resizing the throats inside the main body of the carbs, but the majority of motor builders that have their own flow equip. such as myself noteced long ago that our numbers for a stock carb on a flowbench is diff. than what holleys rating is....

OH, WE wouldn't do that to ya over at the HAMB, we're sweet gentle folk over there.... :sly: :rolleyes:

I have found that a 4 barrel will give better millage than most 2 barrels, I believe it is because with a two barrel the main butterflies are larger than with the 4 barrels, as they have the rear barrels for top end when needed... So, two 4 barrel carbs with the rear barrels disconnected and blocked completely off including any fuel, would be a good working and nasty looking setup... I would be using a 4 barrel inside my blower case, but things are a bit tight, so that is why I need another GM 2 barrel that works since I wore out mine... People love the blower sound and look, I can make it quiet or loud by how tight the 4" belt is... I for sure do not need more power... :)

I was going to say. I remember that one of the sweetest street setups was running a Q jet, very small primaries for great throttle response and mileage, big vacuum operated secondaries. The carb looked like hell but it worked. That said, for the look I will be running a single 600 Holley Vacuum secondary on a street tunnel ram intake. I've seen this work before, it does just fine. another thought would be to run a Holley Projection unit for finer fuel atomization but I cant get by all the wiring hardware and sensors an plastic crap, it just makes the top of the engine look like Fito's @ss IMHO.

I THINK IT WILL DO FINE IF YOU JET THE CARBS AND GET THE ACCELERATOR PUMPS TUNED IN. SMALL CARBS IS THE TICKET AND YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE RESTRICTOR PLATES TO INSTALL UNDER THE CARBS TO DECREASE THE CFM OF THE CARBS EVEN MORE. I,AM GOING TO INSTALL A TUNNEL RAM WITH 2 MECH 450 CFM HALLEYS ON MY 302 FORD, 9.5 :1 COMPRESSION, PORTED HEADS, BIG VALVES, ENGLE 6000 RPM CAM, 2400 STALL,3.89 GEAR THIS WINTER. SEEN MANY A 289 FORD WITH A TUNNEL RAM. AND IF YOUR 305 IS A H/O MODEL IT HAS GOOD FLOWING HEADS.
JMO
BOB

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back