Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TUNNEL RAM

I THINK IT WILL DO FINE IF YOU JET THE CARBS AND GET THE ACCELERATOR PUMPS TUNED IN. SMALL CARBS IS THE TICKET AND YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE RESTRICTOR PLATES TO INSTALL UNDER THE CARBS TO DECREASE THE CFM OF THE CARBS EVEN MORE. I,AM GOING TO INSTALL A TUNNEL RAM WITH 2 MECH 450 CFM HALLEYS ON MY 302 FORD, 9.5 :1 COMPRESSION, PORTED HEADS, BIG VALVES, ENGLE 6000 RPM CAM, 2400 STALL,3.89 GEAR THIS WINTER. SEEN MANY A 289 FORD WITH A TUNNEL RAM. AND IF YOUR 305 IS A H/O MODEL IT HAS GOOD FLOWING HEADS.
JMO
BOB

A H/O 305? A high output 305? A lot of things can be said for the 305's, inexpensive, cheap-to-build, very underpowered, good-reliable-motors....
We built a motor for one of our folks that wanted to race a small motored car a few years back. So, we thrashed the 305 motor.....spent a bunch-o-money to develope this 'killer' motor.
We finally dropped in a stroker crank and bored a 283....and it was basically a very warmed up full tilt 302. Thats one thing nice about the chevy's...you can build all kinds of hybrids.
One thing I can say....the tunnelram thing can be run. No problem there. Will look cool and perform decent....HOWEVER....don't try to spend your money and get the horses up there with a stock 305. Chevy has done alot of work with motors, and while your cranks and all can be changed and swapped around....do your homework.
305's are a great, mild motor, high output they're not....but when your only pushing around 1500 pounds and you got 3.05's to 3.73's in the rear.... that combo seems like a top notch bracketcar, acceleration wise, if its running anywhere near normal.
Remember, you can drop a high perf. stock 350 and powerglide in a econo-altered and get into the 10's in the 1/4 mile.....
That, in my opinion, is the same thing as a econo-altered, but with lights.... :hiding:

I THINK IT WILL DO FINE IF YOU JET THE CARBS AND GET THE ACCELERATOR PUMPS TUNED IN. SMALL CARBS IS THE TICKET AND YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE RESTRICTOR PLATES TO INSTALL UNDER THE CARBS TO DECREASE THE CFM OF THE CARBS EVEN MORE. I,AM GOING TO INSTALL A TUNNEL RAM WITH 2 MECH 450 CFM HALLEYS ON MY 302 FORD, 9.5 :1 COMPRESSION, PORTED HEADS, BIG VALVES, ENGLE 6000 RPM CAM, 2400 STALL,3.89 GEAR THIS WINTER. SEEN MANY A 289 FORD WITH A TUNNEL RAM. AND IF YOUR 305 IS A H/O MODEL IT HAS GOOD FLOWING HEADS.
JMO
BOB

Bob, please stop yelling. Turn off the cap lock, this isn't the first time.

Hey Bruce, maybe he knows I'm hard of hearing.... :wacky:

The restrictor plate is an interesting alternative. I might plan to keep the demon 525 but i must detune them (re jet them) but by how much.........................
JMO
BOB

I run 3.73 with a t-5 tranny ,set up is very nice for 250hp max so my 305 should be enough. My major issue was the look and few hp's but not the racers edge., otherwise i will have to change the whole set-up. And you know like it is its real quick ( at least for me)
A H/O 305? A high output 305? A lot of things can be said for the 305's, inexpensive, cheap-to-build, very underpowered, good-reliable-motors....
We built a motor for one of our folks that wanted to race a small motored car a few years back. So, we thrashed the 305 motor.....spent a bunch-o-money to develope this 'killer' motor.
We finally dropped in a stroker crank and bored a 283....and it was basically a very warmed up full tilt 302. Thats one thing nice about the chevy's...you can build all kinds of hybrids.
One thing I can say....the tunnelram thing can be run. No problem there. Will look cool and perform decent....HOWEVER....don't try to spend your money and get the horses up there with a stock 305. Chevy has done alot of work with motors, and while your cranks and all can be changed and swapped around....do your homework.
305's are a great, mild motor, high output they're not....but when your only pushing around 1500 pounds and you got 3.05's to 3.73's in the rear.... that combo seems like a top notch bracketcar, acceleration wise, if its running anywhere near normal.
Remember, you can drop a high perf. stock 350 and powerglide in a econo-altered and get into the 10's in the 1/4 mile.....
That, in my opinion, is the same thing as a econo-altered, but with lights.... :hiding:

Hey WickedJack, I know we kinda got sidetracked a little....we usually thrash things out so we cover all angles....Yu can do a tunnelram, if thats what you want....its not hard and would lk cool.
What we were trying to say is yu gotta be careful not to over-carb that 305. If you were on a budget, you could do a tunnelram, complete for abut 500 to 600 bucks. Just gotta shop around!
3.73's with a 525 carb, a good intake, and a 5 speed....yep....it would perform great. Also, put the same things behind a 6 cylinder and it'll feel like a rocket, too, stoplight to stoplight....
If you decide to the the TR, just go small with your carbs....disconnect your back 2 barrels at first, then if you wanna try and hook them up....its up to you. Essentially you'd be running 2- 2-bbl carbs, or a single 4. Idle off the one carb, and have the other carb shutdown except for your mains....turn the 2nd idle screw all the way off,(seated close) and disconnect the back 2 barrels by taking the linkage off and plugging the fuel line of the back 2 barrels.
Or just do as Ted said....take the butterflys out and run a plate where the rear 2 bbls are closed off.

On the single carb running a restrictor plate, you can detune your carb like that,BUT, you have to be careful not to let your fuel/air mix hit any sharp ledges so the heavier, wet fuel will fall outta suspension.
Wanna detune the 525, put a heavier vaccuum can spring in there to keep the back 2 from flopping open....this is essentially a restrictor plate, cause your back 2 barrels won't operate fully. Just keep putting the springs in till the back 2 barrels barely open, and you should be about right.
Remember....the Nascar motors are running big restrictor plates and fairly small carbs, and they're well over 700 horses! If you saw how small those throat passages were with the plates on them, you'd scratch a bald spot on your head trying to figure it all out..... :zingy:

It brought a smile to my face too. :jester:

My gray matter might be a little corrupt also.... :wacky: ....30+ years of all the blower whine, the smell of nitro and alky....those fumes aren't the best for a persons health, ya know. -My momma dropping me on my head probably didn't help out either!- :whisper:
HeHe....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back