Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TUNNEL RAM

jackfordt

Hello, i am thingking about investing in a dual quad tunnel ram for my sbc 305 probably just for the fun and look of it. So this question is for all tunnel ram owner, is it worth it, is it dependable will i enjoy it........................ let me know you toughrs.:fidget: :flip:

IMHO it is more important to enjoy how your T performs than how the engine looks. With that said, I would go with the basic dual plane intake manifold. Better torque in the rpm range you will doing 99% of your driving.

Bob

Hello, i am thingking about investing in a dual quad tunnel ram for my sbc 305 probably just for the fun and look of it. So this question is for all tunnel ram owner, is it worth it, is it dependable will i enjoy it........................ let me know you toughrs.:fidget: :flip:

I put a dual quad tunnel ram on mine for the looks. It runs about they way the single 4 barrel manifold ran, but there was some tuning issues for the street. I don't run hard on the street to worry about the torque, I just cruise and look cool. It did have a sputter when leaving a red light, so I put the larger accelator pump on the carbs. I like it, It's dependable for my needs. But you have to think about how YOU drive and what you like, I don't have any problems. I have a SBC 400 with 2 450CFM Holleys.
Total 900 CFM for 400 cubes. Run both carbs at a 1-1 ratio, no staggered linkage.

I've been an edelbrock street tunnel ram w/2 450 holley's w/progressive linkage on 388 sbc for 6 years now. minor issues at first [mainly me not going back to basics when diagnosing] other than that , runs like a raped ape, lots of grins. out of the hole performance is great, so heck yes,go for it.

dave

Tunnel Rams and Blowers look mean cool, lets face it. That 305 will be easy to over carb, so you might think of 400CFM vac 2ndary carbs. It'll never go near as well as a good dual plane, like the old Weiands, but what the hell, she'll LOOK GREAT!!!!!!

I've been an edelbrock street tunnel ram w/2 450 holley's w/progressive linkage on 388 sbc for 6 years now. minor issues at first [mainly me not going back to basics when diagnosing] other than that , runs like a raped ape, lots of grins. out of the hole performance is great, so heck yes,go for it.

dave

I too have ran tunnel rams on full size cars in the 70s, I noticed running a single quad Tunnel ram, was easier to tune than dual quads. When I build my T I'll probably go tunnel ram with a single carb if I go normally aspirated otherwise dual quad, either way on a light T, I dont think it will hurt throttle response noticeably. On a full size car it definitely was less snappy off the line than a dual plane single carb setup, but hell we were into cutting a hole in the hoods back then and sticking a big velocity stack out of it. It is easier for fuel to pool in that big intake especially on a cold engine when starting, with that said, it is a matter of tuning the accelerator pump and jetting. Pick some small carbs like 450-500cfm on small blocks, bigger is not better here.

Yea, Mango is right....that 305, well, its a 305! If you want to run a tunnelram on it, go SMALL. The 450's? is small. Now, if you can find them, 390's would be better....but really too much. You'd really have to detune them bigtime! If you have a open chamber tunnel, set it up so your idling off one carb, and the other comes is close to wide open....and you'd be OK. The 305 heads are really restrictive, so you have to enbrace that....
If it were me, theres a guy on the boards here that has a T, I think he's got a 283 or something and has 2-2bbls. Said it runs fine, and looks sharp, too!
If I were going that route....I'd get 2 Rochester 2g's or a couple of Carter 2-bbls and rebuild them and polish them up to a diamonds finish, snazzy aircleaners, put a mild cam in her, along with your headers and with the really low weight....she'd be just fine. :flip:

OR------change out your top and run a single 4. You's still have the cool lookin' tall intake!

SS is right, smaller is better....on a single 4 tunnel....don't go above the 600 mark. 500 would be better....

They tend to sweat a lot, messes up the windshield... block off one of the carbs with a plate under it, block the fuel line also, take the bottom butterflies out, now everything can look like it works but no problems anymore, One 4 barrel is plenty... :)

you also have to remember you are limited on dist.s and if you run a 700r you will have to get a new d-ten cable hei dist. won't clear and you may have to change you throttle cable if you are already set up

If you could ever achieve 100% volumetric efficiency (good luck on that, none of us live in Utopia), a 305 cubic inch motor running at 7,000 RPM would require a carb with 617 cubic feet per minute flow ratings.

If you can manage to achieve 80% volumetric efficiency, that same engine combination would require 495 CFM.

Do you plan on screwing that motor up to 7,000? Ever? What are the chances, somewhere between no way and zero?

So let's assume a more reasonable maximum RPM number of 5,000 (keeping in mind that cast crank). At 100% VE, you would need 442 CFM. At 80% VE, that drops to 354 CFM.

Off idle, you need an accelerator pump to crutch the near-stall of air flow through the carb. At low RPM, you need the carb to be as close to the Intake valve as possible, to maximize the vacuum signal at the bottom of the boosters. And you want plenum and runner volumes to err on the small side of things, to maintain port velocity (read: throttle response).

Walk outside, remove the nozzle from your garden hose and turn the tap on. Have you got a pretty good stream of water flowing? Now, using your thumb, cover about 1/2 of the end of the hose. What happened? Spraying water out into the street, are you? Bigger is not better, unless we're talking wide-open throttle.

Need another example? (And this one will help you understand what that big plenum is going to do to you.) You are going to need a helper and a drinking straw. Have your helper blow as much air through the straw as possible, whilst you hold your hand 3-4 inches from the straw. Feeling a pretty good stream of air? Now, repeat the experiment, whilst you hold your hand 3-4 feet from the end of the straw. Can you feel anything on your hand? This last time, you hold your hand up on one side of a room, whilst your helper does the huff and puff routine at the doorway of the room. How much air do you feel moving on your hand?

When an intake valve opens and the piston starts moving downward, it creates a vacuum at the top of the cylinder. That vacuum signal will travel through the intake runner (if bigger was better, why isn't that intake runner 4.000" in diameter?) and then the signal arrives at the plenum. As the plenum has more volume than that intake runner, the signal loses strength before it makes its way to the bottom of the carb, where we need it to do its thing. If the signal is so weak at the bottom of the carb, the carb can't accomplish what you want. Carbs have no brains, they're dumber than ordinary garden dirt. If a carb senses a pressure differential between the top opening and bottom opening, it will start to flow air and as that air flows past orifices, it picks up fuel, carrying it to the cylinder.

What this all boils down to is this - tall intakes with big plenums work well on race motors. Short intakes with small plenums work well on street motors. Does a 180° single 4bbl intake have the same sex appeal as a sheet metal tunnel ram with a pair of split Dominators? Nope, that race setup is what gets our blood flowing, isn't it?

I suspect you could take a smaller, unmodified tunnel ram, pillow up the plenum to reduce volume and weld up the runners to eliminate some cross section and really make it work better on a street application. But you're still going to want wee carbs and that means a pair of 390 CFM carbs are still going to be too big for your 305. So now, it's time to start tweaking on the accelerator pump and main jet circuits, to get the carbs to work the way you want. How much time and money are you going to invest in that process, when you can simply buy a single 4 bbl intake and a 600 CFM vacuum secondary carb for a lot less money. That vacuum secondary configuration will keep throttle response where you want it and the carb can open the secondaries as needed when you want to play. With the money you just saved (have you priced 390 Holleys lately?!?), you can keep purchasing parts that will make real power.

I reckon the question comes down to whether or not you want to look good and give up some driveability, or have a more tame appearing combination that will rip your head off when you stab it. To each his own, aye?

When people ask if a tunnel ram can be made to work, that gives me a clue they have no idea of how to make one work well. And if you don't know what you're getting into, why not stick with something you do know? You can always work yourself into unforgiving combinations when you gain some experience. Take a look at GT63's blower/EFI setup. Are you ready to sort out that kind of combination? If you are, go for it, because I'm betting you can have the best of a lot of worlds. I would love to play with that combination, myself. But I will still opt for a single 4 bbl. combination, because I want simplicity from the get-go.

Man...I love it when we get Mike on the jazz and he starts talking all that sexy techno stuff!

Aw yes, I also enjoy when Mike comes out of the woodwork to attempt enlightenment of a soul. What it boils down to is do you want "show" or "go"? Since our T's typically run less than 2000 lbs, folks can misengineer the engine build, wind up with only 200 hp, but because of the power to weight ratio, think they have the hottest ride in town.

Bob

Who can remember, this member last year posted some pics of his tunnelram with 2-2's on it. Looked totally cool.... I had saved some pics but my computer crashed and I lost them for just such occasions....
And as you were told, you'll probably have clearence issues with a HEI. Best bet is get a good points dist. thats in good shape but cheap and put in pertronix setup in it. But Mallory and others have electronic distributors the size of the points ones pretty reasonable.
Ted is right....they sweat and ice up when you got em' going good. Keep a few extra rags in the car to wipe the windshield! Ha!
If your gonna run a single 4, go with the 450....I wouldn't go any bigger if your gonna keep it mild....But hey....It'll look awesome!!!!

Put a good coat of raindance on that windscreen!!!! :hooray:

Who can remember, this member last year posted some pics of his tunnelram with 2-2's on it. Looked totally cool.... I had saved some pics but my computer crashed and I lost them for just such occasions....
And as you were told, you'll probably have clearence issues with a HEI. Best bet is get a good points dist. thats in good shape but cheap and put in pertronix setup in it. But Mallory and others have electronic distributors the size of the points ones pretty reasonable.
Ted is right....they sweat and ice up when you got em' going good. Keep a few extra rags in the car to wipe the windshield! Ha!
If your gonna run a single 4, go with the 450....I wouldn't go any bigger if your gonna keep it mild....But hey....It'll look awesome!!!!

Or you could go for EFI and squirt it in instead of suckin it in. Gas that is.
Gerry

Another trick for the problems a big intake presents, build yourself a small tube "adapter" so to speak, that will make the runners now long but smaller, so the carb works much better, and it all is hidden inside that big looking intake on top of your engine... just go to one carb... A way to have your cake and eat it too... :)

Wow, it looks i am starting a full project by itself. I run a performer intake with a demon 525 with a 5 speed manual transmission. My idea looks good but its like a breast enlargement is it necessary and with a 1 000 bucks or more i could start a second T....................:suicide:

Don't mind us....we're just throwing all the options out there for ya!
You should be able to set yourself up with a tunnelram intake complete, if your thrifty, and look around for under $500.
New, you can get the streetrams for about $250, good used carb 50, rebuild kit, then air cleaner. Electronic dist. is about 100. Rest is just minor stuff you can build.

Just think of the coolness factor! :hyper:

Wow, it looks i am starting a full project by itself. I run a performer intake with a demon 525 with a 5 speed manual transmission. My idea looks good but its like a breast enlargement is it necessary and with a 1 000 bucks or more i could start a second T....................:suicide:
The 305, Performer, 525 Demon, 5 speed trans, sounds like the hot set up. Let us know how you do the clutch pedal assembly. $1000.00 will get you 1/10 of a head start on another T and seriously, talk to a psychiatrist about self-esteem issues before you get breast augmentation. You have to love yourself for who you are, not who you aren't.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back