Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turn signals

Francis Blake

I am replacing my $20. speedway flashers before I even get them wired up. They don't have emergency flashers or dimmer switch, so rather that wire all this separately I will just start over. Carquest has a set with all the good stuff for $65. What do you guys think or use on your own t's? I started buying lots of parts four years ago before I really had any idea about what I was doing, and now I keep finding better parts. And like my dad always tells me if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

I used an Ididit tilt steering column with turn signals and hazard flashers built in. Regular GM connection. Used old fashion floor mounted dimmer sw. Both work great

I used the $20 lights from Speedway and have a floor mounted dimmer switch. Nice and simple.

I am replacing my $20. speedway flashers before I even get them wired up. They don't have emergency flashers or dimmer switch, so rather that wire all this separately I will just start over. Carquest has a set with all the good stuff for $65. What do you guys think or use on your own t's? I started buying lots of parts four years ago before I really had any idea about what I was doing, and now I keep finding better parts. And like my dad always tells me if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

I think that you should have stepped up to the heavy duty unit (910-62860) for only $10 more because it has a 4 way flasher. As for a dimmer switch, use a floor button. If you want all these features combined in one unit, I think that you'll have to spring for a later model column either with or without tilt.

Since I made my own column and like the clean simple look, I have a turn signal unit similar to Speedway's and have it mounted below the dash with only the arm showing. I also have a floor mounted dimmer switch. You can see the arm just to the left of the column in the picture below.

IMG_2906.jpg

Jim

I wanted all of the switches in the column so I used a 97 Cavalier tilt column. It uses a 3/4" Double D shaft making it easy to find universal joints to connect with the steering. GM refers to the assembly as the ignition control module because it contains the logic for the ignition wiring, turn signals, 4 way flashers, DRL's, headlights, wipers and horn as well as the switch for cruise control. There is one complication with the headlight switch, the factory uses a grounding switch which means they send power directly to the headlights and the ground wire returns to the switch. I choose to use relays for the high and low beams and the ground wire from the relay runs to the switch. The ground for the high beam indicator light must also be grounded through the switch and requires a diode to prevent back feed to the relay when the ignition is in the off position.

Al

We use the head light switch for the dimmer. Pull it to the first click for low beams, (normally parking lights) second click for high beams. There is just not a lot of room for a switch on the floor in most of these cars.

If you want a dimmer switch and don't have room on the floor, mount it in the seat riser. I know it's hard the get your foot on it there but you can use your fingers to trip it. :ring:

I have decided to go with the heavy duty unit, I will order it with some more parts that I need as soon as I am off of the computer. I already have a dimmer switch wired into the system so I will mount it on the seat riser.(thanks Youngster)

My order came from speedway today, and I wired up my turn signals and e- flashers. Now put the seats in it to stay and it will be a finished car ( they are never truly finished).

Reminds me when I bought my house, old neighbor stopped by daily to check progress on the addition I was building,[another kid on the way] when the project was nearly done he said "when ya' gonna be done?" I responded ,"about another week" to which he laughed & said , "You're a homeowner now son , you ain't never gonna be done"

dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back