Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unconventional Build

Neonhorse

I talked about this in the introduction section, but this seems like a more appropriate place for it.
I picked up a Tbucket body on craigslist a little while ago. Looks like an old build that someone took apart. I was thinking I would file it until i found enough parts to start on it, and i have a bunch laying around from other hot rod builds (33 plymouth 2 door sedan).
I just picked up my drivetrain donor, and this is where it gets weird. It is a 1989 Nissan 240 SX. If you are not familiar with these, they are really popular with the drift crowd as they are light, fun, and rwd. I am planning on using the engine, trans and hopefully the complete rear suspension. I want to adapt all this to a standard tbucket frame.
Has anyone out there tried something like this? I saw a RB26 build on another site, but that is a 6 cylinder. I am planning on building something along the lines of "how to build a tbucket for $3000.00" but in a 21st century way. So far I have complete drivetrain, rear suspension, body and a bunch of left over parts from other projects and am still in it for under a grand. and, I will be able to sell off all the body parts from the 240.
What do you think? Too weird? tips or tricks?

It depends on your skills. If you can fabricate and weld, no problem. Whether it’s weird or not is up to the man in the mirror... even weird things done well can be cool. It all comes down to what your end result vision is. I’m all for being thrifty and low budget, but time and effort are valuable as well as the finished project. One thing about being unconventional is you won’t find many prebuilt parts, hence my skills comment. Post some pics of the components so we can wrap our heads around your vision.

From my perspective, true original hot rods were all low buck builds with donor or bone yard parts... no shame. I used to build some really cool, fast cars out of bone yard and used or bartered for parts... necessity then, wish I had the energy now.

Ah, the good old days! Where did they go?

The Good Ole Days are still here. Individual creativity is what has build hot rods since the wheel and tire came together. While older wrecking yards are disappearing the newer yards still have a wide choice of engines and rear driveline choices. Small Block Chevrolet engines are still easy to find at bargain prices. Frames are very affordable from our sponsors but if you want to build one tubing is very easy on your wallet. Even if you can't weld you can cut and fit it up then bribe your buddy with a case of his favorite beer and get after it. These cars can be up and running long before you consider it finished. That is what I call a work in progress.

George

I'll be following your build. My avatar has a Mustang v6 drivetrain. So use your creative juices. I'm anxious to see what you do.

Ah, the good old days! Where did they go?
Yeah, I was there in the good old days. I have had big block mopars that would pass anything but a gas station. Unfortunately I cant go down to the boneyard and pull a running 440 for 50 bucks any more, but there is a shitload of old nissans and toyotas. In a Tbucket, it will be great top down summertime fun no matter what is pushing it around.

It depends on your skills. If you can fabricate and weld, no problem. Whether it’s weird or not is up to the man in the mirror... even weird things done well can be cool. It all comes down to what your end result vision is. I’m all for being thrifty and low budget, but time and effort are valuable as well as the finished project. One thing about being unconventional is you won’t find many prebuilt parts, hence my skills comment. Post some pics of the components so we can wrap our heads around your vision.
I am working on the skills, I have spent the last couple years teaching myself to weld. I am kinda putting myself out there on this one. On the plus side if it is a total fail, I shouldnt have much in it.
Aparrently I have to have ten posts before I can post pics. As soon as I do I will post some up.

I am working on the skills, I have spent the last couple years teaching myself to weld. I am kinda putting myself out there on this one. On the plus side if it is a total fail, I shouldnt have much in it.
Aparrently I have to have ten posts before I can post pics. As soon as I do I will post some up.
I am self taught. In the shop with an old stick welder and whatever else. I later became state certified for iron work...practice and basic knowledge goes a long way. There are some good resources on line... welder manufactures, etc produce some informative tutorials. Proper prep and rod/material selection is big. Funny story, a friend of mine also self learned. He learned on an old buzz box that was stuck on like 200 amps. He figured out how to adapt and is now a very proficient welder by trade...

If your worried about resale or seeing your money back out of it I wouldn't do it. But if its for you and you wanna do something different then have at it! This isnt the HAMB lol

Responding to our comments will help you meet the 10 posts requirements. Hope this is helpful , i'm looking forward to seeing some photos. We are all here to give help & also receive help.

If your worried about resale or seeing your money back out of it I wouldn't do it. But if its for you and you wanna do something different then have at it! This isnt the HAMB lol
Not trying to make any money. I learned a long time ago that unless I wanted to be a mechanic like my dad, there is no money for most people building hot rods.

You might have to explain for some of old timers what we are looking at ???
hehehe !!!

It is a 1989 Nissan 240 SX. If you are not familiar with these, they are really popular with the drift crowd as they are light, fun, and rwd. I am planning on using the engine, trans and hopefully the complete rear suspension. I want to adapt all this to a standard tbucket frame.

Looks like what you need. Did you also get the rear suspension pieces you mentioned in your earlier post?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back