Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Was just thinking back.. :)

Ted Brown

How was it for you???
I just was thinking about when my T Bucket was first born, She was a He that Day, as when I took my first ride, with the pedal down, I said "WHOAAAAAAAA there Big Fella", where as I should have said, Easy there Girl, like I do NOW.. hehe
Took a while to get Her tamed down a tad... Plus getting used to all that roller coaster feeling in the Tummy, that first BIG Hill will get you, and that is what people now tell Me how it feels to take a ride at full throttle out of the Gate...
My Wife used to not mind it too much, in Her younger Days, not so any more, She will only ride slow and easy, and not much of that either, she hates to get Her hair all up in a frazzle, She is no fun any more as far as riding in the T goes ...
He who rides fastest, rides alone.. well with a small block that is. :hide:
What was your first ride like?

I finished my Present Tbucket and had no plates but i wanted to see what she would do so i pulled out into the street and nailed it.With those slicks in the back it didnt wanna break loose so the front end came up and not being a posi it made a left turn in the air and came down in the other lane with a bunch of cars comeing at me i turned the car around in a parking lot went into the house changed my shorts and locked the garage till i could make myself undumb.I only do that now for the jap crap buzz bombs now.They come up next to you with a hopped up 4 cyl. engine and a 55 gallon drum for a muffler rev the engine up and i dump it twice to keep the front end down.And no iv'e never been able to SMOKE the tires it just shoots out like a cannon shot with a 6" wheel stand.

Rick, I have heard that from several people, one fellow that I built a (street) chassis for, was showing off in his driveway, stood on the pedal and then skidded through the back garage wall, needless to say, I had a ton of work to do, made another complete front end, new radiator, windshield brace rods, windshield, and had to fix the body where it tore the posts loose.. and I then also installed a automatic trans, as he had a 4 gear in it, had to have it back when I built it.. hehe
As far as wheel stands go, I am not allowed that action... I got paid too much money to stop them on Drag cars, to do them in my own car.. hard to steer with the wheels up... :sofnny:

Ted Brown said:
Rick, I have heard that from several people, one fellow that I built a (street) chassis for, was showing off in his driveway, stood on the pedal and then skidded through the back garage wall, needless to say, I had a ton of work to do, made another complete front end, new radiator, windshield brace rods, windshield, and had to fix the body where it tore the posts loose.. and I then also installed a automatic trans, as he had a 4 gear in it, had to have it back when I built it.. hehe
As far as wheel stands go, I am not allowed that action... I got paid too much money to stop them on Drag cars, to do them in my own car.. hard to steer with the wheels up... :sofnny:
But it does make a REAL GOOD left turn

Ted Brown said:
Left turns are caused by improper weight adjustment... Like I say, there is a very big difference betweem a street car and one set up to drag race, most people will not have their cars sitting crooked, on purpose.. hehe :sofnny:
No Ted mine is from no posi and only one wheel is limited slip differential when you go up the right wheel is driving and bammm you go left.

Not enough HP it sounds like..hehe in all reality, a posi in a light car is a real pain, if one has enough HP you can still spin both tires, if you try... Many old race cars did not have a posi or welded spiders... and still went straight... I can fix that... :sofnny:

Sounds as if we are married to sisters, ha!! When I was to drive in the local parade this year her response was, "Please don't ask me to sit in that nousy rough-ridin' uncomfortable piece of junk for two hours, especially since we are looking into 100 horses rear-ends. Not a pretty site, but is a smelly experience."

AZCOWBO said:
Sounds as if we are married to sisters, ha!! When I was to drive in the local parade this year her response was, "Please don't ask me to sit in that nousy rough-ridin' uncomfortable piece of junk for two hours, especially since we are looking into 100 horses rear-ends. Not a pretty site, but is a smelly experience."
Well in the early days, some of that was true for me also, but I soon cured everything but the messed up hair thing.. I did not care for the exhaust that near to me on the sides, not only noisy it burns the eyes, so I now have them running clear out back, also much quieter inside where we are, by a ton.. hehe BUT, all the rest of the Gals, all want to ride, NO PROBLEM :rolleyes:

Re: Was just thinking back.. :)-->

Ted, three stories..
1. First ride, TUB-T took me for a spin in his tub. As he'll admit, it's not the fastest, but I give him alot of credit for lighting a lot of fires for people, as his car is a blast. Anyhow, he tagged some road kill as I had my right arm out the side of the body, and I got a nice coating of warn Squirrel parts.

2. First drive, someone elses. Granny-T and Liber-T out of Dallas. The whole Dallas bunch really clinched being a buckethead for me with their generosity. But the Selfs handed me the keys to their shiny, pretty blown SBC bucket like they had known me for years and allowed me to drive by myself on a cruise. I'm still not sure I could do that, but It left an impression on me. Climb on in.

3.Memorable moments in MINE... Rolling down the driveway with nothing but frame and suspension. First time the motor fired up between the rails, first time I put it into gear and felt it surge forward. First time down the street, sneaking a few miles down the road with no plates, completing the DMV nightmares, Then the first LEGAL cruise! First LOOOONG burnout. First time a beat a mustang. Up next is the blower.

I did a blog about letting other people drive MY Baby, SORRY but no, I'll ride you to the ends of the World, but drive, you have to build your own for that my Friend.. as I always said, it is just like handing a child a loaded 44Mag, with a hair trigger, with the safety OFF... They would not know how to react to what is going to happen, not IF but when, SOON... :rolleyes:

Ted Brown said:
I did a blog about letting other people drive MY Baby, SORRY but no, I'll ride you to the ends of the World, but drive, you have to build your own for that my Friend.. as I always said, it is just like handing a child a loaded 44Mag, with a hair trigger, with the safety OFF... They would not know how to react to what is going to happen, not IF but when, SOON... :lol:

I can certainly understand that. Especially once I put the blower on it.

Needs more power!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back