Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welder

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
For welding 16 gauge square tube and just doing some tacking would the 120v 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder from harbor freight be ok.

I know its not the best welder, and a 220 welder would be better. But I don't have a 220 plug.

Have you tried a flux cored wire welder? Try one before you buy one. If you're stuck without 220 buy as big of a 120 as you can find. The extra $$$ for one with a gas kit is money well spent. A 10 cubic foot tank will be enough for tacking. Later when you feel more confident with the welder you could go to a 40 or 100 cu. ft. tank.

Another option is if you have an electric clothes dryer, have an extention cord made. Most farm supply stores sell a 175 Hobart or equivalent for around $650. That will do most anything you will have to do building a bucket. Along with the welder, pick up a copy of Welding: Prncibles and Practices if you're new to welding. Use yourfriends too. If you know someone who has some experience welding, offer them a Micky D's happy meal in exchange for some tutoring.

Ron

wow. :)

With all the other stuff I have going on right now. I only got about $150 to spend.

Home Depot rents a 120 amp flux core. Maybe I'll try that frist.

A big problem with flux cored wire is it produces gas or pin holes in the weld. Even if you weld over them they are still there and they weaken the weld. Check with a local rental business to see if they have one with gas you can rent.

Ron

When I worked at the diesel shop we had a Lincoln flux core 110. We just used it for exhaust pipe work. It did a crappy job, big ugly welds. I think the 100 volt stuff would be fine for what you are wanting to do. It is the flux core that will be a problem.

Oh, I'm not going to weld anything structural. Maybe just some light stuff. I'll Mostly just be tacking. Then let someone else do the real welding. LOL.

I'll go with RPM on the flux core. I just sold my Miller 135 to a buddy It's 120 volt but you can set it up flux core or straight wire with gas. Straight wire with gas is definitly the way to go. Way better looking weld with a little practice and less clean up later. My buddy and I are working a job together tomorrow morning I can ask and maybe you can rent/borrow it from him. Or if ya can get it down here with a few cold beers we could do it for ya! I know my Hobart 187 will whip it out right.

I'll go with RPM on the flux core. I just sold my Miller 135 to a buddy It's 120 volt but you can set it up flux core or straight wire with gas. Straight wire with gas is definitly the way to go. Way better looking weld with a little practice and less clean up later. My buddy and I are working a job together tomorrow morning I can ask and maybe you can rent/borrow it from him. Or if ya can get it down here with a few cold beers we could do it for ya! I know my Hobart 187 will whip it out right.

Would love to take it down there. But right now what I need to weld is the frame for my new seats.
Be hard to get it thier without a seat thats mounted securly to the floor. :)

Jim, the guy from the rebels club told me I could take it to his shop and use the welder there. But same prob.

I have one of those hf flux core welders it sticks spatter all around the weld and when it is cleaned off it leaves little pock marks everywhere, I much prefer using my big Lincoln where I can.

Devon says it's OK with him. I left you a message on your cell with his ph # so you can give him a call and work out the details.

Buy the best welder you can afford. I bought a 110 stick welder years ago. Nobody can afford one of those at any price. It is only worth it's weight for scrap. I bought a Century 250 amp AC/DC welder for the heavy stuff around the farm and a Miller 211 for every thing else. The Miller does most of the work for you. Just set it, pul the trigger and stay on the line. Wire your shop for a 220 welder and then buy a good quality machine. You won't go wrong.

Adrian

I have a Lincoln 180 and really like it. Had a Harbor Freight before, it worked but was not easy to get good welds with. The Lincoln 180, is really easy to use and makes welding actually fun. I would say pick a good brand and buy the best you can. 220 with gas is the best way to go.

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but - if you're comfortable with stick welding, is there anything wrong with using that for fabrication work?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back