Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What to do next?

2xcrash

image.jpg First time builder so I'm worried to make a mistake on what order to work on this next.
Do I finish the brakes, I've bent the lines already. Do I get it running? Do I finish the drive line and instill shifter? Cooling, electrical or steering????
If I could get some advice It'll sure help...

I'm sure everyone has an opinion , mine is :finish everything before you start the motor, otherwise the temptation to "run around the block " unfinished will get you ! Finish everything !!!
dave

I'm new at the from scratch car building myself but have built quite a few bikes and I'm learning they have a lot in common. My advice would be to finish all the suspension with the exact size rims/tires you will run, engine/trans in place, radiator and shroud, then roll that sucker outside, get a lawn chair out and stare at and enjoy the view a few hours out of the shop. You just can't get perspective till you stand 50 feet away and walk around it. I would say tackle steering and brake master setup together as they can interfere with each other. I moved my car out of the shop a couple weeks ago and I sure am glad I did. In the shop the diff placement looked awesome but 50 feet away it sucked! Moved it 3 inches forward and bammo that did it!

After ALL the major components are in place I'd fire that puppy up for motivation!!

I am new at this but that advice was just learned the hard way as I tried to get the cart ahead of the horse myself! Good luck with the build!

I tried to get all the chassis stuff finished before bolting down the body the final time. Once the body was on,(the final time) I ran the wiring, finished the steering, and hooked up the gas and brake pedal. Then you can pick and choose you next moves. I never started the engine until everything else was done. Interior excluded. Once everything safety wise was checked out, out the door and down the street. All that was left was tuning and interior. After 14 months of driving, interior is my project for the next few days.
Lee

I'd do steering, the radiator, headlights, brake master cylinder/booster, fuel tank, and battery box and then headers/exhaust. That should keep you busy for a while.

I don't think it matters what you do in what order as long as the last thing you do is turn the key and drive away :D

Seriously, because these cars are so compact and simple, one change tends to affect other components which causes a domino affect. So welding on a bracket somewhere could cause a clearance issue with something else later on, which affects something else, etc. Ask how I know...:whistling: At first, you think you have all kinds of room for the brake lines, wiring, etc., but as you keep adding things the room disappears. Pre-planning is so important. Test fit everything first. Look at the car long and hard and see how everything you plan to install will fit within all the other things. Do all vital parts first.

Myself, I would set up the frame, body, and driveline/suspension first. Pay close attention to pinion angle as that is important. Judging by the photos, you have all that planned out already, so I would set up the radiator and make sure it matches up with the fan and looks good with the body. If you're using tube shocks, make sure the mounts don't interfere with the headlight mounts, etc, etc.

I agree with bobs66440. It really doesn't matter what order they are done. I had all my brake lines run and bled, trans cooling lines, fuel lines and battery cables run before the body went on. What you should keep in mind is that once the body is on are the brake, steering, transmission, battery and other items serviceable without removing the body? You don't want to remove the body for something simple.

I agree with bobs66440. It really doesn't matter what order they are done. I had all my brake lines run and bled, trans cooling lines, fuel lines and battery cables run before the body went on. What you should keep in mind is that once the body is on are the brake, steering, transmission, battery and other items serviceable without removing the body? You don't want to remove the body for something simple.
yes, very important point do everything on the frame before we installing the body, absolutely. In fact, bolting the body down was one of those very last things I did. I had it sitting on there loosely for weeks until I was confident enough that I was completely finished with everything underneath.

Yes when we build a turnkey car for a customer we assemble the chassis, install motor/trans, shifter, run all brake lines (bled), install trans cooler, fuel lines, and drill all holes for running wires before we install the body on the frame. The body is one of the last things we install. We have the wiring kit all ready too.

Cool. Next on the check list is brakes and then shifter.I had CCR mate the body to the frame already so I wouldnt mess it up. And its jest a few bolts to pull off. Got all next week off so hope to get ahead on it!

What they said.....its also advantagous to have a rolling chassis as quickly as possible that is steerable, that way you can move it around alittle. I have a checklist that I go thru, so nothing is forgotten, or things get out of order....It helps you plan and stay on schedule, also....and also helps with parts purchasing.
The end result should be the same. Be sure to test fit everything, and if things aren't right, fit them till they are....then paint and PowderCoat....

The order in which you do things is sometimes dictated by the design. In my roadster, for instance, I built a structure inside the body to hold the cowl steering and swing pedals. I had to have the body in place before I could finalize the steering and run the brake lines to the firewall mounted master cylinder.;)

As for when to take the first drive - I always take a new build around the block as soon as the steering, brakes, and gas pedal are safely functional. Why? Because after a long period of building and fabricating, a quick jaunt through the neighborhood brightens that "light at the end of the tunnel" and renews my enthusiasm to "git 'er done".:D

The bottom line is, it's all up to the builder; whatever works for you.:thumbsup:

I got my shifter figured out and am going to have my brake lines installed and all the drums turned. I'll mess with everything that'll make it go but being a first time builder I dont trust my wife or kid being in a car that some amature hack (me) trying to plum brakes for the first time. Frame welding, alinment and brakes i'll let the pros handle.

also steering is figured out and I keep the car on wheel dollies. Best 200 bucks ive spent on this beast yet. Wife bought a nice car and likes to keep it in the garage at night. ( first time in 7 years of marrige she's been able to have a spot in the garage. I told her before if she wanted garage space I want to park my Harley in the living room!:p)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back