Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where to locate....

Kaaso

Where to locate the electronics? Under the dash or under the seat. Looking at having fusebox, relays, efi ecu and maybe a MSD box. I have seen cars built both ways, I just wanted a couple of opinions on the subject.

Thanks.

Where to locate the electronics? Under the dash or under the seat. Looking at having fusebox, relays, efi ecu and maybe a MSD box. I have seen cars built both ways, I just wanted a couple of opinions on the subject.

Thanks.

You'll need to mount the EFI ECU away from the MSD box or switch to a Mallory or Accel ignition box. The MSD box generates RFI and will interfere with the EFI. I just went thru this last summer.

As part of my rebuild, I'm planning on placing the ignition box high up on the inside of the firewall and the EFI ECU in the pickup box. Some manufacturers recommend keeping them at least 5 feet apart. You'll also need to run multiple ground wires.

The MSD box generates a bit more RFI because of the capacitive discharge nature of its operation. EFI units typically pick up interference on their power lines and input lines from things like unshielded HT ignition leads, (always use the spiral wound leads) and as GT63 says, grounding is vital to drain away any pickup. A glass body provides no shielding at all, but a steel or ally firewall does, of course. Cooling is usually an issue with ignition and EFI boxes as well, keep in mind.

Thank you very much for the info guys. I think I have made my decision not use an MSD box. It is not something I needed but just something I wanted.

If anyone else has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

Thanks again.

I was not being negative about using an MSD control box. As an Auto Electrician I think the genuine MSD product (never mind the junk chinese rip offs) is great and I have used and installed plenty with no problems. By virtue of its function it pulses fairly high voltages, but if you instal everything correctly you will have no problems. Certainly they are a great starter with the multiple spark, arguably the best in my book. I do repeat my opinion to use the correct HT cables with the field supression wound core, this is vital with any HE ignition.

I was not being negative about using an MSD control box. As an Auto Electrician I think the genuine MSD product (never mind the junk chinese rip offs) is great and I have used and installed plenty with no problems. By virtue of its function it pulses fairly high voltages, but if you instal everything correctly you will have no problems. Certainly they are a great starter with the multiple spark, arguably the best in my book. I do repeat my opinion to use the correct HT cables with the field supression wound core, this is vital with any HE ignition.

Don't sweat it, you are saying anything that is not true. I have only used MSD boxes on a couple of occasions and those were carbureted. I did not think about the interference issue with an ecu. My distributor does not require a box, I just wanted it for the performance. I doubt I will need anything else to help produce tire smoke. I appreciate all your input.

The biggest benefit to under the seat is that everything is easy to troubleshoot. Under the dash has to be a nightmare if you have any problems, unless you are an elf..

The biggest benefit to under the seat is that everything is easy to troubleshoot. Under the dash has to be a nightmare if you have any problems, unless you are an elf..

A solution to an under dash panel is to mount it so that it swings down. Here is a picture of mine.

IMG_0855.jpg

Jim

Jim , what fuse box is that?
Terry

Jim, looks like you have a live busbar there, am I right?

When it is swung up into place the studs point down and are not anywhere even close to touching anything including the passenger. If it was anywhere near causing a problem the studs could be easily covered with plastic caps.

Jim

That looks nice Jim (like everything else you do) but I still wouldn't want to have to troubleshoot a problem under the dash. I've grown to big over the years. lol

I have been thinking of building a small enclosed area along the frame to mount the fuse panel in with a removable cover on the floor for service. This would allow the whole car to be wired requiring only a few wires to come into the body for the signal light switch.

The advantages would be:

easy body removal
I don't have to crawl under the dash
I could lower my seat a few inches and maybe sit behind the windshield instead of over it.

That looks nice Jim (like everything else you do) but I still wouldn't want to have to troubleshoot a problem under the dash. I've grown to big over the years. lol

I have been thinking of building a small enclosed area along the frame to mount the fuse panel in with a removable cover on the floor for service. This would allow the whole car to be wired requiring only a few wires to come into the body for the signal light switch.

The advantages would be:

easy body removal
I don't have to crawl under the dash
I could lower my seat a few inches and maybe sit behind the windshield instead of over it.

There is NO crawling under the dash to trouble shoot with my "swing down" terminal board. There is an easily accessed wing nut that can be reached while sitting in the passenger seat that when loosened, allows the board to drop down right in front of you. As for easy body removal, there are plugs mounted in both lower front corners of the body with front lighting and speedometer on the left side and engine wiring on the right side.

Jim

Where to locate the electronics? Under the dash or under the seat. Looking at having fusebox, relays, efi ecu and maybe a MSD box. I have seen cars built both ways, I just wanted a couple of opinions on the subject.Thanks.

I've done under the dash, on the inner firewall and under the seat. Now I'm rewiring with a big vertical panel to go behind the new bucket seats. Check my project http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/big-redo-of-the-old-bucket.13677/ for progress reports. For a simple electrical system, an aftermarket wiring kit will do the job and go under the dash. But with an ECU, some relays, and an ignition box, things can get pretty messy. I'd recommend under the seat for you. You only give up a few inches and you don't want to sit on the floor anyway. Under the seat you'll have easy access and room to grow. I route most wiring inside the frame rails and bring it out thru holes into the underseat area. And the battery is in a box under the seat. And I connectorize anything meant to be hardwired. The new panel will be fully connectorized so I can build it on the bench and then just plug it in the car.

Thank you very much to everyone for the excellent input. I believe at this point I am going to put the electronics under the dash. I understand all the pros and cons brought up, but I think that's how I want to proceed.

Im planning on doing something like this. I currently have the body off to re-wire and re-work other items. Since the body had 1/2" spacers from the frame. Im taking those out and building a subframe from 1/2"x1 1/2" steel where i will be able to suspend my transmission cooler, battery and fuse box. Gaining access to the fuse box thru the floor. Making it possible to remove the body easily if needed. This way, only wires to the body will go to ignition switch and gauges.

Hopefully ill get some parts for christmas and get some progress done. Currently using 1x2's to mock up the subframe. but need parts to locate mounting points.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back