Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Which heads should I get?

ba49

Hi guys I need your help with my 23T. I have a 72 350 sbc and the P.O. put on the wrong heads. He was advised to use 415s for more torque. They have really raised my CR. and I'm told they are way too small, like 55ccs. I would like to replace them with some new ones that will give me torque rather than high horse power. The engine has a Summit cam # SUM-K00052 which is 216/216 and 454/454. installed by the P.O. The rpm range is 2000-5000. The intake is an Edelbrock Performer and it has a Holly 750 4bl. The bottom end is stock as far as I know. I would like to spend around $1000 or less. I thought about vortec heads but would have to replace the intake also, right? It has a TH350 and a Chrysler 489 posi rear end with 355 gears. Thanks, Bill

Check out the EDELBROCK 5073,70CC e-STREET ALUM. Heads . Summit has them for about $950. I have a set of them on my 355 sbc with a cam a bit hotter than yours, dual 500 carbs. Tons of torque and about 290hp on dyno

Summit or Whites as Ron suggested. Ebay is another. 750 cfm I think would be a bit much. Is this 750 a older carb? Vacuum secondaries? Dual feed? front and rear metering plates? Cam specs? Lift and duration on the cam just gives us part of the picture......whats the overlap?
With a good Hi-Perf. 350, nothing wild, a 650-725 cfm. 750 will hurt your low-end.....but......if you want 750 cfm, go for it!

The PO installed the cam so I'm sorry for not having all the info. All he gave me was the Summit part #. I'm just getting back into cars after being into building and racing motorcycles for 40+ years, mostly Harleys. My last bike a turbo Vrod that I built and was featured in the 11/2010 edition of American Iron mag. and had 170rwhp.
The carb is a single feed and doesn't appear very new. My neighbor who is a retired mechanic told me it was a 750cfm. The engine seemed to start and run pretty well with it and never needed a choke. It has vacuum secondaries. I also have a rebuilt Qjet off of a 72 350 that I could use. I could also replace the carb with a smaller Holley or Edelbrock if you guys think it would be better. Summit is having a big Black Friday in house sale and I plan on going. I believe it's 10% off everything in the store.

There are a couple of ways you could go. If you want iron heads, World Products makes some pretty decent ones for under that figure. If you want aluminum, Edelbrock E-Streets are made for non roller cam motors and Edelbrock Performer RPMS are for roller cam motors. I have the Performer RPMS on the 331 stroker in my 27 and they really woke it up.......I love them.

I am also looking at a set of ProComp heads like they sell on Ebay stores. I am putting together a mild 351 Ford for a 93 Mustang, which will be my daily driver when done, and I don't want to spend a grand on heads for that one. The ProComps sell for about $ 600-700 and while they aren't TrickFlow quality, Car Craft did some testing and liked them.

There are so many good aftermarket heads out there today to choose from and the prices are really close to what it costs to do a decent valve job on your stockers.

Don

Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning towards the ProComp. I could also go with a new carb if I go with them. I've been looking at the Holley Avenger and the Edelbrock 650. The Edelbrock heads sound good also.

Hey
I just bought a SUMMIT top end kit
While researching them ( after the purchase I found out that they are TRICK FLOW HEADS with Summits name on them )
Summit had a Black Friday sale yesterday 10% off everthing in the store
Got a real deal for Trick Flow heads

The vacuum secondary 750 'should work fine on your 350. Mechanical secondaries would probably drown it, but with vacuum, it should only deliver what the engine needs. The comment about never needing a choke makes me think it might be runningrather rich though. How do the plugs look?

ba, those pro comp heads your talking about, I have seen and installed them for a friend. I was not impressed with them AT ALL. They looked pretty, and the valves were a nice size, but i wasnt getting what we expected out of them. I also tried flowing them on a bench and again, not impressive and didnt pull what was advertised, maybe i had a "bad set", but ill never waste my $$ on them.... I do have to say that the E Streets are very good for the money, BUT seeing as how these cars are already light weight, I dont really think that the weight saved makes enough difference to spend $1600 on a set of heads. They do cool better, BUT AGAIN, the engine is in the open and already runs much cooler than ANY engine stuck in a hot box that is the engine bay. DART Iron eagles are around $800, has GREAT flow and very strong. If you arent going for Huge HP and want better torque, I have used the Iron Eagle 180s (2.02/1.60 valves, 64.5cc) with an Air gap intake, comp 213 cam with comp roller rockers, proform 750cc carb and MSD and dynod 305HP and 390TQ to the ground.... Thats also stock bore/stroke... The whole build (after machining) was $2k. It was VERY streetable and torquey... With all that being said, unless your going for crazy high HP, I FEEL that aluminum heads are a waste of money on a T if you are going for a driveable T.

The PO installed the cam so I'm sorry for not having all the info. All he gave me was the Summit part #. I'm just getting back into cars after being into building and racing motorcycles for 40+ years, mostly Harleys. My last bike a turbo Vrod that I built and was featured in the 11/2010 edition of American Iron mag. and had 170rwhp.
The carb is a single feed and doesn't appear very new. My neighbor who is a retired mechanic told me it was a 750cfm. The engine seemed to start and run pretty well with it and never needed a choke. It has vacuum secondaries. I also have a rebuilt Qjet off of a 72 350 that I could use. I could also replace the carb with a smaller Holley or Edelbrock if you guys think it would be better. Summit is having a big Black Friday in house sale and I plan on going. I believe it's 10% off everything in the store.
Thanks for all the help. I'm leaning towards the ProComp. I could also go with a new carb if I go with them. I've been looking at the Holley Avenger and the Edelbrock 650. The Edelbrock heads sound good also.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. ProCom is manufactured in China. I am a "Made in USA" fan for more reasons than one..

IMO; With those low gears I'd go to the Eleldrock RPM or the 205 AFR heads. Would allow you to use the rpm band better. And I'd go to a Holley 650 DP and jet it correctly. I honestly believe you are way over carb'd even though vac secn'd. The heads you have could work if you went and had them ported and polished. But once you think about the money spent ..Better off and had bought the Edelbrock's with a decent cam, and gone to the 650. If you ran thios type of combo you'd be really happy and get good power and maybe better driving milage. Just my 2 cents worth...

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. ProCom is manufactured in China. I am a "Made in USA" fan for more reasons than one..
You got that right about ProCom. Its cheap but it's junk, and the only assurance is disappointment, if you have any pride in your ride at all.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back