Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

'23 Roadster Build

Have you given thought to lowering the box closer to the frame rail? That should allow you to clear the box from the engine from what I can see in the pictures.

Jim

Well I guess slow progress is better than no progress at all. I got the floor cut, beveled and shaped to fit. The next step will be to start glassing it into the body. I'll mount the firewall after I'm satisfied with how the floor turns out. The next few posts will probably be complaining about working with fiberglass.

Floor%202.jpg

Can you get Ni-core for a floor like spirit uses? Seem strong and light.

I went with 3/4" Birch ply. Really pretty wood that no one will ever see. Not sure about the ni-core. I've never used it or even sure where you can buy it. I will put the information in my T-Bucket file though in case I ever build a second one. I have two layers of glass around the perimeter of the floor joining it to the body. Once I glass the entire thing I don't think strength will be an issue. As far as the weight goes, as light as these things are anyway I really don't think I'll notice a considerable difference.

Most birch ply is not meant to be structural plus , unless things have changed , the panels are not glued w/exterior glue..... a/c or b/c would have been a better choice IMO.
dave

Question for you. What and where did you get that cover on firewall that covers your steering column coming out of firewall? Hope that'.s clear
Thanks,
Johnny

Can you get Ni-core for a floor like spirit uses? Seem strong and light.

I'm planning on using one of the composite boards used in marine construction. For example Coosa Bluewater 26 is impervious to water, has the structural strength of plywood, and is 30% lighter. The drawback is cost...a 48x48 sheet of 3/4" thick is typically $150-$175. Seeing that it's a 1 time expense, to me the benefits are worth it.

I used cabinet grade 9 ply from Lowe's. Gonna laminate it with glass anyway. No rot if its water tight.

I used cabinet grade 9 ply from Lowe's. Gonna laminate it with glass anyway. No rot if its water tight.

If what I'm planning pans out, there will be no glassing and laminating. The composite board will be bonded to the lip on the bottom of the body using something like West System Six10. The bond would be reinforced with stainless truss head bolts and barrel nuts. The result should be a bond stronger than the body's fiberglass.

Most birch ply is not meant to be structural plus , unless things have changed , the panels are not glued w/exterior glue..... a/c or b/c would have been a better choice IMO.
dave
If its totally covered in fiberglass why would it matter if its glued with exterior glue? I would think that the car frame itself would provide enough structure without relying on the plywood floor, or am I totally off base in my thinking?

If its totally covered in fiberglass why would it matter if its glued with exterior glue? I would think that the car frame itself would provide enough structure without relying on the plywood floor, or am I totally off base in my thinking?
I agree

It depends on what you are relying on the plywood to do. For example, will the seat(s) be mounted to the plywood? Do you have a door and relying on the plywood to support the body?

If the seat(s) are not tied into the frame, that better be pretty substantial plywood. There's a lot of flex in the typical T-Bucket frame...add to that relying on the plywood to mount the body, and there will be a high likely hood of the doors not working when parked on an uneven surface.

The frame supports the floor , the floor supports the body , the floor supports the seating , if you run steel reinforcement for the steering column or for door jambs/hinges/latch , those would be supported by the floor. I think the floor is pretty important !
dave

The hip bone's connected to the thigh bone and the thigh bone's connected to the knee bone and the knee bones connected to the shin bone .........

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back