Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

'23 Roadster Build

Sounds like a gamble to mount and weld the bracket in place without everything being installed. If it is too tight, that's a lot of work to remove and relocate it.

Im waiting till everything is layin right there. Steering column is what i will look for now.

I need to mount my steering box bracket to frame. How close to firewall is it? I dont have box yet. If i coppy yours i should be ok. We have same car. Channel looks good.

My steering box is about an inch from the firewall also. I'm runing it on top for bettter clearance since I'll be sitting pretty low. The corvair box is a little more expensive until you rip a vega off the bottom going down the road.

Thanks for all the pictures guys. It's always nice to see what others have done and are doing. It takes a lot of trial and error out of the process. On another note: Those of you running S10 rearends, did you use the backing plates/dust shields or leave them off. Mine are pretty rough and I ordered a set but got something that was a mirror image of what I had and about 90 degrees off as it relates to caliper mounting. In other words they won't work and I can't seem to find any other repops that are correct.

Thanks for all the pictures guys. It's always nice to see what others have done and are doing. It takes a lot of trial and error out of the process. On another note: Those of you running S10 rearends, did you use the backing plates/dust shields or leave them off. Mine are pretty rough and I ordered a set but got something that was a mirror image of what I had and about 90 degrees off as it relates to caliper mounting. In other words they won't work and I can't seem to find any other repops that are correct.
I was actually wondering the same thing. I noticed you are running the exact same rear end as me. I pulled mine from an 01 Blazer with low miles at a junk yard. I got a pretty good deal on it for 125.

Attachments

• 11201135_860221707383254_2522212414537508786_o.jpg
    11201135_860221707383254_2522212414537508786_o.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 65
I was actually wondering the same thing. I noticed you are running the exact same rear end as me. I pulled mine from an 01 Blazer with low miles at a junk yard. I got a pretty good deal on it for 125.
Any adviceon where brake master cyl. Bracket mounts. Im still figuring mine out

I think I've decided not to run them. We'll see how it goes. They don't really effect anything as far as I can tell. The parking brake doesn't mount to it so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll definately hold on to what I have in case I decide otherwise.

Any adviceon where brake master cyl. Bracket mounts. Im still figuring mine out
I got mine from RPM. It isn't mounted on the frame yet though. I may give you a shout when the time comes and we can spend some time looking at yours or mine to figure it out.

I got mine from RPM. It isn't mounted on the frame yet though. I may give you a shout when the time comes and we can spend some time looking at yours or mine to figure it out.
Ill find you at good guys this weekend and well go from there. Ill pm you my number.

Which picture?
It should be on this page, I posted an attachment. You can see the master cylinder mount. You can also see the threaded post in front of it a couple of feet. I believe spirits assembly comes with the pedal and the proper length rod to mount it to this frame. If you need measurements, let me know.

I think I've decided not to run them. We'll see how it goes. They don't really effect anything as far as I can tell. The parking brake doesn't mount to it so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll definately hold on to what I have in case I decide otherwise.

Theres a clip that holds the top of the handbrake horseshoe...keeps it from bouncing around and potentially hitting the axle/lugbolts and maybe even dislocating the horseshoe completely.
This clip attaches only to the backing plate unfortunately.
Not sure you couldn't just make a small plate yourself to attach the clip too...but it definately is one of the things you should examine before you decide to simply delete the backing plates.

Theres a clip that holds the top of the handbrake horseshoe...keeps it from bouncing around and potentially hitting the axle/lugbolts and maybe even dislocating the horseshoe completely.
This clip attaches only to the backing plate unfortunately.
Not sure you couldn't just make a small plate yourself to attach the clip too...but it definately is one of the things you should examine before you decide to simply delete the backing plates.
Yep, you are correct. I finally got them cleaned up and re-bent to what they should be. Better safe than sorry on down the road.

Cooter, the Plans show the location of the steering box mounts for both our bodies, yours is going to be different because of the length of your frame and the body you are using. The angle of the mount is determined by the length of the cowl and drop of the dash. The location is around 1.25" to 1.5" from the firewall to the closest point of the box, but it's tight quarters with the headers so be careful. Set up the body, motor and headers so you know stuff will clear and pay attention to the angle of the column so it is comfortable to drive.

View attachment 11355 View attachment 11356
Got my corvair steering box. Thing
Cooter, the Plans show the location of the steering box mounts for both our bodies, yours is going to be different because of the length of your frame and the body you are using. The angle of the mount is determined by the length of the cowl and drop of the dash. The location is around 1.25" to 1.5" from the firewall to the closest point of the box, but it's tight quarters with the headers so be careful. Set up the body, motor and headers so you know stuff will clear and pay attention to the angle of the column so it is comfortable to drive.

View attachment 11355 View attachment 11356
I got my corvair steering box. Clears headers nicely but adjuster screw sticks out so far it hits engine block before i can get it where it needs to be. Can i just cut it down and then cut slot back in for screw driver?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back