Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

49-54 Chevy Spindle help

Spdwy808

I have acquired a set of 49-54 Chevy spindles. These came off a car with independent front suspension. They were cut off at the a-arms. My dad seems to think we can use them on a tube or beam axle. The spindles have a kingpin that holds on a large "knuckle" that attaches to the a-arms. He thinks that if we remove the kingpins and get rid of the knuckle, an axle should be able to go right into that space. My question is...is anyone familiar with these spindles? Were these spindles designed to work with both a beam (or tube) axle setup and IFS? Help me out guys!!!

Your dad is right. They will fit on a dropped tube axle just fine. Check with Speedway or Total Performance for and axle. I use them in my buckets. I like em better than the Ford spindles.

49-54 Chevy spindles were NOT an independent front suspension. They were on an I beam axle. Also there are TWO types. They were on a passenger car and a longer kingpin version that were on trucks. If you look at a Total Performace catalog, TP's spindle are similar to a 49-54 Chevy spindle. Also look at a Speedway catalog and you will see NEW 49-54 type Chevy spindles that are machined for Speedway's front brake kit.

Need to se a picture of what you actually have.

You have a set of spindles from a passenger car, that's good. The pick-ups had a beam axle, the cars had an independent system. Most all of the after market tube axles are built for the car spindles. The truck spindles have a different caster. Check with Speedway, total or MAS. They have the axle you need.

Ron

Yep, the passenger car ones are the ones you want. I bought a set on Ebay one time that were SUPPOSED to be from a car but ended up being for a pickup, and they are totally different.

When you look at the Speedway or other catalog you will see axles made for early Ford or 49-54 Chevy spindles. The latter are the ones you want, obviously.

I have a set on the front of my Dodge pickup, and my Son is running them on his T bucket. If you want to use stock 49-54 drum brakes, like I am, you don't need any modifications on the spindles. If you want to run a disc brake kit, you will need to have them machined, or buy spindles that are already done that way.

Here they are with drums and discs.

Don

moontank008.jpg

donstoriginalGMbrakes-1.jpg

Thanks for all your info guys. I feel better knowing I have the right spindles. Now do any of you know where the cheapest place I can get an axle for these? I'm not worried about brackets, as I think I can fab them myself.

Spdwy808 said:
Thanks for all your info guys. I feel better knowing I have the right spindles. Now do any of you know where the cheapest place I can get an axle for these? I'm not worried about brackets, as I think I can fab them myself.

MAS seems to have pretty good prices, but I have never dealt with them personally. I always buy from Speedway.........good people with good prices and service.

Don

I just checked on an axle from MAS. 4" drop, bare axle with bosses for Ford spindles...$199 plus S&H. Should be here by this time next week. It looks like the one in Dons post of his sons blue T.

Ron

MAS always has pretty low prices in the ads I have seen. I think they have also improved their delivery time, they had a rep at one time of being somewhat slow. But everything I have seen people post recently says very good things about them.

I may give them a try down the road when I build my little drag altered Austin. They have a body they sell pretty cheap for one.

Don

I've dealt with MAS and I (think) they are selling a lot of Speedway parts. I know the headlight stands are.:confused:

If you are going to order from MAS, call them and ask for Rick. He's the fab shop foreman. Tell him exactly what you want. I have always had good luck ordering from them this way. Don, they will make custom axles too in case you want something special for your altered. Also be advised, that Austin body is thin.

Ron

Butch27, You might have that backwards. MAS has been building axles and hairpins for Mr. Roadster (now Speedway) since Jay Osterman (sp?) started the company in the '60's. If you look at an old add from Mr. Roadster, you will find in small print, "shipped from our mid-west warehouse" (MAS). The axles look suspiciously like the ones Total sells also.

I bought my first one from them in '69 for $60. The one I ordered last week is the same axle only now it's $199.

Ron

Youngster said:
I bought my first one from them in '69 for $60. The one I ordered last week is the same axle only now it's $199.

Ron

$139 price increase in 39 years ain't to bad of a deal.

Youngster said:
Also be advised, that Austin body is thin.

Ron

I bet it is. A buddy of mine bought a T bucket with a MAS body and it seemed thin also. For the drag car I am planning that wouldn't be too bad, but on a street car I do like a heavy layup.

Don

Just a little side note to MAS. I have always bought my axles and bodies from them. First, let me say, you get what you pay for. If they put in the time and money to make a perfect part, they would cost what everybody else does. That being said, I have found that when they weld the boss on the axle it shrinks and they don't ream it back out. You will have to clean it up. The second thing is, I bought a bantam body that has very bad gelcoat. It looks like the mold had alot of 'glass strands on it when they laid the gelcoat down so the gelcoat has these indention from that.
Now after saying all this, "why the hell would I buy from them" you are wondering. Well, I am not afraid of work as I figure I am going to build this whole car anyway, what's a little more work and as I have more time than money, I don't mind the extra work. somebody else, like a first time builder, might not want to get into all of this.
If i was you, I would buy Speedway's spindle, king pin and disc brake kit to save you alot of head scratching and aggrevation and parts hunting, if you have the money.

FHGary has a very valid point. For the first time builder parts or a complete assembly from one source is a very wise choice. Mistakes cost money, been there, done that.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back