Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

I have loads of these belts in a wide range of grits- it seemed sensible to use them on the hard stuff. Just turned them inside out and ran them with the drill. G

Great idea, Gerry! :thumbsup: I used the same method back in the '80's to polish the crank journals in a '64 E-type Jaguar without removing the crank or engine from the chassis. Worked like a charm.

@benT

Ben, I didn't know it's a water based finish. I figured it was like powder coat that needed an electrical charge.

I'm not nearly as concerned now about tiny scratches. It looks to be about the consistency of a 2K primer.

Seems tough to get into tight spots though, like where the primary tubes are close together at the collector.

Still plug'n away. These Cone Engineering cast merge bullets are the way to go. I should be able to get the collectors on tis weekend.

6-11-17.JPG

Oh I just remembered, I made a smaller version of the red ploy thing with flanges on each end to use the power file belts around the weld areas first, sort of a concentrated effort in a small area. As I have loads of these belts in a wide range of grits it seemed sensible to use them on the hard stuff. Just turned them inside out and ran them with the drill.
G

This thing would have saved me a ton of headache.

I give you my word 100%, I have never seen that vid. Either they have the same thought process as me or they cruise the forums. The butterfly belts can be replace with appropriate material and some packing tape. You can learn really fast how to control the belt around curves, into tight gaps and along straights.

Its so much fun finding ways to do stuff, and with no one to help solve a problem, something I think you understand too well....

G

I give you my word 100%, I have never seen that vid.

Gerry, don't sweat it. Great minds think alike.

I'm looking at this urethane drive roller. The hardest 80A for a 1/2" shaft. And run it in my torque monster Milwaukee drill.

McMaster-Carr

I don't think I could make one any cheaper.

This thing would have saved me a ton of headache.
That apeers to be a grinder. Keep in mind that they run at a higher rpm than most drills, 9500 - 13000 rpm is common on those 4" and 6" angle grinders. I'm not sure how fast one would want to run it, I think slower would be kinder to the belt and tube, less heat. Cool idea for sure! FYI, there are various sizes of erasers available that attach to a drill. They are used to remove pin stripes, decals, etc in auto body work. That may be a decent belt driver media. ??? Also, those drill mounted round attachments that hold sanding drums are rubber and come in different diameters and lengths.... just a thought.

Skateboard wheels might work!!!

I've got one of these urethane rollers coming today. I'll stick some side flanges on it to keep the belt on. 1 1/2 OD X 1 1/4 wide. My drill turns real slow on it's low setting.

wheel.png

Here's what I rigged up.

Tube Sander.JPG

Tube Sander copy.jpg

I still have to finish weld the tubes to the stubs. So I'll see how this works to sand the joints.

That's engineered for sure. Is it going to be a pain changing belts, though?

That's engineered for sure. Is it going to be a pain changing belts, though?

Yea, probably. But the holes for idler bearings are slotted.

Anything I tried, the wheel just spun on the belt. This moves the belt by itself.

Ah ha, so you got where I got to with the belt spinning. I sort of figured it was a balance between tension and angle. Spent a little time practising on a left over length of straight pipe. Almost had it to a point where I could play the belt like a violinist....sort of went on from there, but I always like freestyle....

Whatever works, is good. So much fun trying new things. Always great when we find a way that suits us and does the job we want.

My headers are finally all welded up and air tested. Just a bit of cosmetic finishing to do.

7-16-17 2.JPG

7-16-17 3.JPG

Now I'm on to getting these Spintech mufflers lined up and mounted.

7-16-17 5.JPG

7-16-17 6.JPG

VERY nice work!

Your level of craftsmanship is unbelievable! You are THE man.

Jim

Do I spy a fuel tank mock up in the background:eek:

Did the belt sander thingy (technical term there) work OK???

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back