Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

Thanks guys.

Great work, Chop! What material are your VC gaskets made from?

View attachment 13682

I'm not sure what brand those are. The engine is built by Skip White and might sell those.

Do I spy a fuel tank mock up in the background:eek:

Did the belt sander thingy (technical term there) work OK???

Off and on. But I got lucky. I remembered that I had a box of old 60 grit sanding belts that are 4"X 106" with a heavy baking. They're so old that the seam tape is falling off. They must have come from a cabinet shop edge sander or something. I cut the lengths and widths into thirds which gave 35" long strips. It worked the high spots like a dream. And I got a great arms workout.

This is just fantastic work. I do have a question. Where are you putting the master cylinder and brake pedal?

My 90° master cylinder and booster are under the dash. There's an access door on top of the cowl.

8-17-14.JPG

Did you build that unit? I'm thinking about one of those.

Yeah. I looked at all of the manufactured ones but it needed to fit the squatty space of my firewall.

G'Day Choppinczeh,
Nice work! Does the master cylinder bottom out before the bell crack jags on the pushrod? I'm sure you've thought of that, but the angle of the pic makes it look as though the travel is compromised.
Regards,

G'Day Choppinczeh,
Nice work! Does the master cylinder bottom out before the bell crack jags on the pushrod? I'm sure you've thought of that, but the angle of the pic makes it look as though the travel is compromised.
Regards,

Here's a different angle. There's a lot of room.

8-17-14 2.JPG

Since these pics I've added some more mounts and spaced the master to the cowl's center. Also put a bend in the pedal arm to get around the steering column.

10-25-14.JPG

10-19-14 4.JPG

10-25-14 4.JPG

Me too, as in 'as well'

Just a small update.

Forever I've pondered over the type and location of a trans cooler. I hope this heat sink will do the job.

7-31-17.JPG

7-31-17 2.JPG

The best location for me was the empty passanger side of my front frame rails.

7-31-17 3.JPG

I kept it 3/4" away from the frame in hopes of getting more air around it.

7-31-17 7.JPG

7-31-17 6.JPG

Should work fine. Mine is located about midway back by the trans, and I have no problems after 10k miles. BTW, I really admire your work.
Lee

You know, I'm not sure most of us need a trans cooler. I installed a trans temp gauge and it never gets above 180 or so. That's without a cooler, but I do use a deep Derale pan with the integral cooling tubes. Think about it; we have lightweight cars that mostly cruise, but use trans that were built to handle cars twice the weight. My TH400 has gone 25 years without a hiccup.

You know, I'm not sure most of us need a trans cooler. I installed a trans temp gauge and it never gets above 180 or so. That's without a cooler, but I do use a deep Derale pan with the integral cooling tubes. Think about it; we have lightweight cars that mostly cruise, but use trans that were built to handle cars twice the weight. My TH400 has gone 25 years without a hiccup.

That was what I found out, as well. But considering how cheap they are... why not? Another, "You never know.", moment.

Where did you measure the trans temp?

I was measuring in the pan, but when I moved it to the output line going to the cooler the temperature went from 180°F to 220°F. These temps are on the highway cruising at 70 mph and ambient of 95°F. If I lockup the torque converter then the temp would drop back down to 190°F. Stall speed of converter is 2800 rpm.

But our cars get a lot of TLC, we change fluids alot more often then a regular car.

Great work as always. One comment on the brake pedal - you may want to reduce the width of the pad to give yourself some room for your left foot - not clear from the pic how much clearance you have to the kick panel. My dads '27 has a wide factory-style pedal and its a bit too tight to the left foot area. He typically drives with his shoe off, but if it was mine, I'd just shorten it. I use a 3"round So-Cal pad that's about 5-1/2" away from the kick panel and have no issues. Both are swinging pedals like you have.

Great work as always. One comment on the brake pedal - you may want to reduce the width of the pad to give yourself some room for your left foot - not clear from the pic how much clearance you have to the kick panel. My dads '27 has a wide factory-style pedal and its a bit too tight to the left foot area. He typically drives with his shoe off, but if it was mine, I'd just shorten it. I use a 3"round So-Cal pad that's about 5-1/2" away from the kick panel and have no issues. Both are swinging pedals like you have.

I like that idea. I always wear some sort of work boots with a heel also. Don't even own any dress or tennis shoes.

I'd really like to stretch out my left leg once in a while.

I'm still gonna have to brake with my left foot. Which I'm not crazy about.

Guess I'll get use to it. Like learning to ride a jockey shifted hard tail.

I'm still gonna have to brake with my left foot. Which I'm not crazy about. Guess I'll get use to it. Like learning to ride a jockey shifted hard tail.

I brake with my left foot in my T-bucket, since my channeled body leaves little extra room. I only scared myself once! You'll get used to it, and I kinda like it now.o_O

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back