Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

I brake in the conventional right foot manner as I still like to drive a standard shift ride once in a while. However, most people today have never driven anything but an automatic and left foot breaking is quite natural to them.

Jim

I brake in the conventional right foot manner as I still like to drive a standard shift ride once in a while. However, most people today have never driven anything but an automatic and left foot breaking is quite natural to them.

Jim

Who are these people?:D I drive an automatic 99% of the time and I never use my left foot for braking. In fact, if I tried, I'd have to get used to it for a bit. But what you said may explain the occasional driver I see, riding with the brakes on.

Who are these people?:D I drive an automatic 99% of the time and I never use my left foot for braking. In fact, if I tried, I'd have to get used to it for a bit. But what you said may explain the occasional driver I see, riding with the brakes on.
Fred, take a bow! Left-footed brakers are descended from Homo Nimrod, a branch of the hominids that include chimps and SUV drivers.

Have always LF braked. Taught from an early age. Very unusual here in the UK as when I was younger there were not a lot of autos around. First time I drove an auto I was told to tuck my LF back under the seat so I was not tempted to stab the brake thinking it was the clutch pedal. Early lesson never forgotten.

Man, I really love those left foot brakers that tend to rest their foot ever so "lightly" on the pedal so that their brake lights remain on or flicker on and off depending on the roughness of the road.

Jim

When I was twisting wrenches for a living I had a customer bring back a brake job I did three months ago for making noise. The pads were gone. I replaced under warantee and when she left I saw brake lights for a mile until she was out of sight.

Most of the people against left foot braking are old retired driver's ed teachers. :p

Must be a lot then, because I asked my bud's about it and they'd never heard of it being done, in a car with an automatic. About the only reason I can see for it, is if you're doing a burn out.;)

In my car, the steering column is right between the gas & brake pedals, requiring left foot braking. o_O:unsure:

Here's a pic of me sitting in Paul R's CCR stretch body. Note the position of my left leg and foot placement. The brake arm isn't installed in the photo. If the arm stayed straight up, I'd have to brake with my left foot. I plan to bend the arm towards the right to brake like normal. I had to do this with my other T as well. Also, if I left the brake arm straight up, I'd have to bend my left knee back towards my body, when I wasn't braking and that would negate even having a stretched body.

full

And we have hijacked the heck out of this thread. Sorry.

Take a look at this video and stop it at 1:47. He's using his left foot to brake. What I noticed is that it looks like if he had bent the brake arm towards the right, he would be able to use his right foot for braking and might be able to stretch out his left leg a bit. That's my goal with a stretched body. While I usually drive with my left leg bent up at the knee, being able to stretch it out a little is a bonus.

Last edited:
I really wanted to use a SteerClear and a stubby column. It would opened up the whole floor for both feet.

They're just so crazy expensive.

Choppin: Sorry for opening up a can of worms. :whistling: Here is a pic of of my '27's pedal placement for reference. I'm using an under dash M/C setup, not unlike yours, but 180 degree in lieu of 90 degrees and no booster. I had to do a couple offsets, but placement and pedal ratio works with no left foot braking. there is about 5-1/2" from the pedal to the kickpanel.

As for left foot braking, I only do that on a manual trans or my forklift.

pedal 1.JPG

Choppin: Sorry for opening up a can of worms. :whistling: Here is a pic of of my '27's pedal placement for reference. I'm using an under dash M/C setup, not unlike yours, but 180 degree in lieu of 90 degrees and no booster. I had to do a couple offsets, but placement and pedal ratio works with no left foot braking. there is about 5-1/2" from the pedal to the kickpanel.

View attachment 13781

Very nicely done!

View attachment 13781
That is almost exactly like my setup, Ben, and I drive with my left foot resting comfortably on the toe kick board. I never consider using the left foot for braking either on my '37 or my daily driver, both of which are automatics.

Jim

Choppin: Sorry for opening up a can of worms.View attachment 13781

No. All of this is great info.

I'm going to see if I can do that same type brake pedal placement.

The height column to the floor doesn't let me shift my right foot under it. But I'd really like to have more room to straighten my left leg when cruising.

Need to take a picture. Will get back to you.

PIC time!
A8dqddw-uUNqVUMkzBFFhfmvM9D3AIFNxGgQ1NkhbhMJEdmbMqvM9iDkk4UE_sJKM5c-2ht6mVOfdGBCT9TRW4SjdumnBc-CdN1GBPuWfWT83ODrcOWX731VZ8AC_9zzGBbBLCf1ZoCBBxkObmtMbw_FDRjCNDEyL8xmn9tcgbc0Ah4x_xAcbA6epgX6DQTTdsAzfCO_vyC9r9y6nDHpJvEkKM-NNvhdOf7Lzf_m_SNMWYR2mocxydCXCWp7bdlPKnAc_ayLHTV58C0AD17vkuZMA5KGxFv20H-Koms66cKTJD7Zhi3R4KK_lB8OIIhWX1_H6wAj9NfBsxZhp2czFALHJ5CyTa9YqSSRfevsty57HtUBYyeq5E3nkRonvyn0EMWNJZh8nRAEPdZelNXW-_raaxznwE1uU520R9FIITL34yZggdGL_RwAZcMTfnilBFSs-VHEzBDELOCBikph0MxvIqsdMxjXXrqBu2PkGo3kK9JktC125Z7BHgwbbWwkaqY5kYe4zIEak3jHRHnp1dVjerM8PjjYQn5e-Lmwgu4EcfOGWPxFjB5EwEHu5FoK4ySDmG4aJSPVht1Vrn_MAOLse77dSRBBxfkoTuq9WzmrZAGWIUdU9S4FYKRtr5qiVHI1Z6PxDqpGpSnE2rCrmscOrv6A6gCgBhddSR-XJD4hwQ=w1024-h768-no

This is the CCR stretch body. Note room to left of column to stretch my leg. The throttle pedal is almost on center of trans, but my big foot reaches it OK.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back