Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

About that time again...

coloradotbucket

Well I have seen at least one t bucket out cruising the town since mine has been driven... around Colorado, T Bucket Season is pretty much May to September, maybe a little later depending on the year...this year has been quite cold and I have been way to busy to play but hopefully it won't to long until its sunny and warm. This is just kind of a question for fellow T Bucket owners, what reactions do T Buckets generally get when being driving around the streets or whatever? I have quite mixed reviews with mine.. kids love it.. most adults look at me like I am totally crazy...

What should I expect ? I haven't actually had mine that long so its still unchartered territory actually..

Mine isn't legal yet, but there's a gas station around the block from where I'm building my T. On weekends and some evenings I'll shoot up there to get a cold drink or a snack or to just do it!:rofl: I have gotten quite a mixed reaction. So far, only 3 people have known what a T Bucket is without me telling them. A wino type person asked me if it was a race car. An older couple gave it a good walk around and before leaving, the lady said it reminded her of Herman Munsters car. I had to smile at that.:D I had a guy use his phone to take pics, a lot of pics. Then he asked me what it was I was driving. There was a Ricer guy in a Honda who decided to rev his motor as he was pulling up for gas. After he got out and went in the store, I reved my engine and set off his alarm before I left. Priceless!

Most people don't really know that much about hot rods and I don't mind explaining to them what is going on and why I did certain things. I do get the "deer in headlights stare" sometimes, but again, they just may not get it. Then there are the Donk and Pimpmobile guys with the 26" rims. Some try to ignore my car, but sneak looks and some just about kill themselves trying to get a closer look. Most of them want to know if it attracts girls. I try to skirt that question because I don't think the world is ready for a pimped out hot rod and that is what I imagine these guys building. I have gotten several thumbs up and burnout request(only obliged once) from other drivers, but to date, the best thing I had happen, was the reaction from an old timer. He walked up as I shut her down and looked REALLY hard at my car, then he told me, " You got a nice hot rod there." Come to find out, he was a hot rodder, but his health gave out on him. Said he had a '40 Ford back in the day. When I get her legal, I hope to see him again. He deserves a ride, if he wants.

I knew from the beginning that this was not going to be a low profile car, but the mixture of reactions is a pleasure. I try to answer questions when I can and NEVER have an attitude that I'm better than they are because I have a hot rod. Well, maybe I do give attitude to the ricer guys, but that's because I can't stand them or their fart can mufflers.:mad::)

Well, since I live in Florida we get to drive ours year round, and my '27 was pretty much used every day for 7 years. I loved the commute to work, it was so cool to be surrounded by mundane SUV's and other cars. People just knew I was having more fun than them. :rofl:

I actually like just driving around more than car shows or cruise ins. You never know what reaction you are going to get from people. I would be driving along and see flashbulbs or video cameras in the car next to me. Even going to the grocery store would turn into an adventure and when I would come out there would be a few people standing around my car asking questions. (first question is, "did you build it yourself?)

I also liked getting in the car and just going for a late night ride after the 11 o'clock news was over. It was cool out, and not many cars on the road. You get all the smells from trees, restaurants, etc. Sometimes I would be gone for a couple of hours, just soaking up the night.

Every so often you get some squirrel in a 5.0 Mustang or Ricer car who wants to play, but I generally just snicker at them and let them look like the fool. I did tell a guy who was revving his Mustang up next to me one day "you aren't real good at math, are you?" He said "what do you mean?" I told him " I've got more HP than you and weigh half as much!" Took him a minute to figure that one out. :):lol:

Don

"Every so often you get some squirrel in a 5.0 Mustang or Ricer car who wants to play, but I generally just snicker at them and let them look like the fool. I did tell a guy who was revving his Mustang up next to me one day "you aren't real good at math, are you?" He said "what do you mean?" I told him " I've got more HP than you and weigh half as much!" Took him a minute to figure that one out. :rofl::lol:"

Don

I had to explain that law of physics to a kid at the NAPA last week!:)

One time I was at "The Varsity" (the worlds largest drive in) and had a guy ask me if I ever raced it on the street. I told hin "No, nothing can touch me so I don't bother." He said he had a '69 Camrao he could beat me with. I said "Got $100.00?" He said "You don't know what I have." I said "You have a '69 Camaro and I can beat all Camaros." Then he told me all the go-fast goodies he had in his motor and finished with a tunnel ram just like yours. My wife was pretty sharp and said "JUST LIKE THAT ONE?.....Does yours have a pulley on the front?" Deer-in-the-headlight-look......"UM is that a blower? You can't run a blower on the street!" Wife said "John...How are we going to get home?"
Needless to say, when I cranked up, backed out put it in gear a quick jab on the gas torqued the chassis followed by the typical dragster flex as I idled away had everybody laughing at the bozo with the challenge.
I have had people looking at me and rear-end another car. These things are NEVER just another car when you drive them!

coloradotbucket said:
My weight is 1740 - Hows that compare to a T with a Chevy engine ?

Pretty close.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back