Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Baffles in the header tubes?

Paulski

I have a set of sprint style headers and would like to run a 90 degree turn out right after them. I was thinking of putting baffles in the header tubes themselves, either in the straight tubes coming of the heads or trying to get them in the straight part right before the collector. Anyone ever try this? Would the baffles being so close to the heads cause to much back pressure or anything else?

I have headers like these:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/S-B-Chevy-Sprint-Roadster-Headers,3835.html

I was thinking baffles like these (one for each tube):

http://www.jcwhitney.com/internal-baffles/p2006266.jcwx?filterid=j1

Speedway has spiral baffles or mufflers that fit into the 3" or 3-1/2" extensions.

I fabricated some baffles in my extensions (after glasspacks) by cutting a slice in the pipe and sliding in and welding 18G steel plates. thay block off about 1/3 of the tube. five in a row and each is offset from the others. it mellowed the tone a tad, but not a great deal. not worth the effort IMHO.

Russ

In the beginning, I made glass pack type slidin mufflers (inside 1 5/8 tube x 14 inches long 3/4" or 7/8" through center tubes. CRS) for each header pipe, worked pretty good, but I really did not care for the sound that much, changed them after a year or so, to the collector style...

Ran a set of weed burners (individual pipes) once with a m/c baffle in each one till someone wanted to by them. Delivered the the next day. They almost sounded like a continous exhaust leak. Hated the sound. The collector type works the best.

Ron

I put a set of the spirals in my headers. They were a little too quite, evaluated by my son. I cut one of the 4 spirals offs and wrapped some stainless steel wool between the spirals and re installed. I still can't hear after a couple of hours of riding. I think the wind noise is a lot of the problem. The spirals are made of mild steel and may need a coating if you think they will sit in a high humidity area, during the off season. Summit Racing had the best price I could find, free shipping also.

I put a set of the spirals in my headers. They were a little too quite, evaluated by my son. I cut one of the 4 spirals offs and wrapped some stainless steel wool between the spirals and re installed. I still can't hear after a couple of hours of riding. I think the wind noise is a lot of the problem. The spirals are made of mild steel and may need a coating if you think they will sit in a high humidity area, during the off season. Summit Racing had the best price I could find, free shipping also.

I searched summit for spirals and couldn't find any, any chance you have a part number?

I have a set of sprint style headers and would like to run a 90 degree turn out right after them. I was thinking of putting baffles in the header tubes themselves, either in the straight tubes coming of the heads or trying to get them in the straight part right before the collector. Anyone ever try this? Would the baffles being so close to the heads cause to much back pressure or anything else?

The baffles you refer to are for bikes....they really don't quieten things down any, they kinda take the bit out of the sound.
The extensions with turnouts worked good in the past, with the auger type baffles with steel wool packed in there. I'm deaf anyway....so the noise doesn't bother me....Haha....
I like the internal slip-in mufflers, like what Ted ran, but thats me.
I've always had good luck with 3 in collectors, add about a 12" extension. I cut 2 pieces of 10 ga.SS sheetmetal the size of the ID of the extension, with a 1 7/8's hole in the center. I usually make things out of SS, so it'll last. Then I roll a 1" wide band, or a piece of tubing that'll just slide into the the extension, I roll a piece of (1/2") expanded metal, the size of the hole (1 7/8's) X 8" long, then have the other piece at the back. I weld it together, around the expanded metal core, I loosely wrap some asbestos packing, and wrap that in SS wire, so it won't go anywhere for a while. I then insert said piece into the extension about 3 inches from the end, then drill thru the extension into the band/pipe lip on the front of the baffle.

I've had pretty good luck out of these....they only last about a year, then you have to repack it usually. If you don't run it everyday....it should last a few years....but the SS will be there for the duration.

My hearing went out about 10 or 15 years ago when I started a Nitro Nostalgia digger, warming it up, pulled the alky line out of the tophat to run on nitro, plugged the hole, reved it to clear it out, set the idle speed on the linkage, had my ear a little too close to the zoomies when I reved it that 2nd time. FROM then on....I've never had to worry about too loud of a exhaust note! :blush: Ha!

I searched summit for spirals and couldn't find any, any chance you have a part number?

I think Speedway has the spirals for about 40 bucks.... :wacky:

OOOH, I forgot to add....when you make those SS sheet metal pieces, abound the 1 7/8's hole, drill 3/8's holes evenly spaced between the ID and the OD....if you don't, you'll have too much restriction in the exhaust....

I saw this a while back and bookmarked it.

spiralturbobaffles,com

Is anyone running these?

Thanks
-E

Sorry for not responding sooner. I could not find the part number, just call Summit toll free 1 800 230 3030.
Best I remember they were about $16, about half speedway's price and free shipping. They also have the stainless steelwool. I mis stated about the 4 spirals, I think it is 3 and I made some pie cuts in the baffles to let the exhaust go straight to the steelwool. I don't know if it does much, I just can't leave anything stock.

good luck
joe

I have used Speedway Augers and like them the best. I first used the Speedway fiberglass wrapped slip-in mufflers but I think they are too quiet.

I recently bought a set of DNA Full Thottle Collectors for my 4" Hooker headers. One of these days I will get the bucket back together and I will try them. Spent about 3 hours polishing the SS housings. Sure look good now.

http://www.dnamufflers.com/DNA/full_throttle.html

I run 8 straight pipes with homemade baffles similar to the HD or Speedways.

Quieter, but you still get the individual pop-pop-pop of the firings, which the collector melds into a less annoying sound. I think you should try the baffles; cheap and easy and can't hurt. Let us know how it turns out.

I just did this. I built lake style headers and installed the cut off plate rings I drilled about 25 3/8 holes in the cutoff plate and welded vw stinger baffles to the plate so when they burn up i can just clean up the plate and weld in new ones. the stinger baffles are about 11.00 a piece.
Russ

i have the 7 inch inserts and it sound pretty good still loud enough to sound like a hotrod they are a tight fit i would probably take off the packing next time but for now i will wait on it to burn out

I have the same sprint headers with these stuck into the collectors - http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/72-32510/10002/-1

Also look down on the same page where it says "Similar items you may also consider"

I also have another car with a 350 SBC with zoomies that have baffles in each pipe. To me, it sounds a little tinny, not throaty like the sprint headers.

Jeff

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back