Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Design & Build

I've had my headers for a week now, but I've been waiting on my copper header gaskets that I made.
GP thought they were just templates and did not send them back with the headers. Then when they
did ship them there was two boxes and the labels got switched. So another person got my gaskets
and the extra PVC that I bought and I got a T-Shirt. I finally got the tracking number and they were
not going to be here until today. Couldn't stand it any long so I put the headers on with the gaskets
I bought that block part of the exhaust port and went for a drive. Since the dog and wife was with
me I couldn't really test the performance. Even with the my copper gaskets, I'm not sure there is going
to be such a difference in performance that I will be able to feel it. To be fair I need to go thru another
tuning session with my AQ-1 data acquisition system since the new headers will change the tune that's
needed to make them perform at their best.

The construction and welding is very nicely done. They fit well and don't even come close to hitting
the front suspension rods. I was also worried about the turnout hitting the rear suspension hairpin
mount, but absolutely no problems there.

I did have problems with the flange fitting over the ARP studs. I ended up drilling 5 of the flange holes
to 27/64" and one hole to 7/16". You might remember that I had Time-Serts installed in all the holes
and was told by the machinist that he locates the holes based on dimensions and not by locating off
the holes that are already there. So I hope that the studs are very accurately located and the flange if
accurate would fit on without trouble. But I cannot prove that my studs are NOT the problem. When I
asked Zach about this, he said that he bolted them up to and engine there in the shop.

The other disappointing outcome is the header ports don't match the exhaust ports in the head. I
thought that was the point of making those copper header gaskets and making them fit precisely and
then sending those to GP Headers. But when I asked about that, Zach said it was to make sure the
header ports were larger than the port in the head and did not hang over into the port at some point.
Since I don't deal with this type thing every day, I'm not sure if my expectations were too high. I never
asked the right question to exactly tie that point down.

FP03_FinishedGPHeaders_02018.jpg
FP03_FinishedGPHeaders_02015.jpg
FP03_FinishedGPHeaders_02023.jpg
FP01_FinishedGPHeaders_01993.jpg
FP01_FinishedGPHeaders_01994.jpg

Had to make sure there were no sharp edges, so I went around the flange with my
die grinder.

FP02_DeburFlangeEdges_02003.jpg

For the muffler I used the auger style, but since the final collector is a megaphone
I had to taper the muffler. I did this on my brother's lathe to spin the muffler and then
used an angle grinder with a flap wheel to remove metal.

FP03_FinishedGPHeaders_IMG0753.jpg

I will admit they don't look as impressive with the smaller final collector that starts out
2.2 inches and ends at 3.0 inches, but I was after the performance as my guiding motto.

OK, they're awesome looking! How do they sound?
Thanks!

Sound is good, although it is different and no droning! Not as loud as I was expecting, the
wife said it didn't sound any louder than the old headers. She likes how she can get in/out
now without worrying about burning herself now. I'll try and make a video with sound
tomorrow or the next day.

I bought stainless steel wool so I can try wrapping the augers to reduce the noise some.

FP04_StainlessSteelWool.jpg

Very nice job Indy, you certainly have a one off with those headers, really lifts the look of the car.

Mercy, this has been quite a project. But the pipes look smashing, and of course you have the only ones (very important). Looking forward to tests with the packing.

Yes, it's been a long one for sure !

Thanks, I kinda like them to !

I curious to see if it changes the sound quality, not particularly the loudness ? It's got to
effect the loudness to some extent .

Look good! The exposed welds don’t take away from their appearance, imho. Glad the wife feels safer on entry and exit... very important! Interested in improvement in performance. I hope that you do realize and feel some. That is disappointing about the flange fit, both the port and stud perspectives. Perfection is such a tall order!

Look good! The exposed welds don’t take away from their appearance, imho. Glad the wife feels safer on entry and exit... very important! Interested in improvement in performance.
Thanks !
The welds do look better than I was picturing, so I'm glad I kept them. Besides it was another
$400 to grind and polish the welds.
Yes, keeping her happy allows me to spend more ! ;)
My speedometer is GPS, so I could measure time to 60 mph or 1/4 mile times. But wheel spin
will come into play and I've never had the balls to stay in it thru a full 1/4 mile. Theoretically that
would mean speeds in 125 mph to 135 mph. I've been to 108 mph, that was pretty exciting.

Speedhut GPS Speedometer
FP01_SpeedHut_SpeedoDigitalDisplay.jpg

Thanks !
My speedometer is GPS, so I could measure time to 60 mph or 1/4 mile times. But wheel spin
will come into play and I've never had the balls to stay in it thru a full 1/4 mile. Theoretically that
would mean speeds in 125 mph to 135 mph. I've been to 108 mph, that was pretty exciting.

]

I would be glad to assist in driving at least one full throttle run. Hair in the back a flapping and wind in my face--yippee !! I have had mine fast enough to break the needle off 3 speedos all had 140 tops. Then the peg got it. Just a little crazy--I use to want to be like Wild Willy.

I would be glad to assist in driving at least one full throttle run. Hair in the back a flapping and wind in my face--yippee !! I have had mine fast enough to break the needle off 3 speedos all had 140 tops.

Should we get life insurance first ???

I know my wife wouldn't mind!

That was a project all of its own. Many hours from idea to completion. My respect.

I used to stress test everything... funny how age and broken bones mellow our ambition... I still test fate from time to time, but am convinced that fate will eventually win! As long as it still puts a smile on your face, it’s doing it’s job. 108 in a quarter is nothing to sneeze at... especially in an open cab. The acceleration rate is more exciting than top speed, imho, anyways. My intruder will accelerate to the point of giving me double vision... that is good enough for two wheels, at least with me on them! Enjoy it!

I used to stress test everything... funny how age and broken bones mellow our ambition... I still test fate from time to time, but am convinced that fate will eventually win! As long as it still puts a smile on your face, it’s doing it’s job. 108 in a quarter is nothing to sneeze at... especially in an open cab. The acceleration rate is more exciting than top speed, imho, anyways. My intruder will accelerate to the point of giving me double vision... that is good enough for two wheels, at least with me on them! Enjoy it!

That's it !! when your eyeballs roll over and your stomach is touching your spine and the sigh of relief when you lift your foot off the throttle. AND YOUR STILL ALIVE !!
Happiness is G-Force.

If you have never experienced a lot--2-3-4 -G-Force--it is an eye opener !! You will find out how old you really are and how fit !! But fun !!

• Change name on the Bucket? G-Force

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back