Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ball joints

fordnut

Looking to install new ball joints on my super duty, on my second set in 50 thousand miles. I have heard good and bad about moog , and good things about NAPA premium. Any one's 2 cents or preference welcome.

I'd be concerned w/why you're replacing the 2nd set in just 50K miles !!!! Do you offroad the truck , the joints on the front of my '01 dodge have 211K miles on them & are still tight ....
dave

The first set were replaced under warranty, I do not take it off road, I pull a 30 foot travel trailer with it. That is its only job. The first time a tie rod was bad and the dealer said that the one ball joint was tight so they said we will replace all four, and now one is starting to clunk. I have heard guys getting over 100k out of them,and others only getting around 50k or so out of them, but most are diesel trucks, I can understand with the extra weigh but mine is a V10.

The ford joints are pressed in even from the factory, as for there short life guys on a ford truck site say the super duty being a heavy truck puts more strain on them, I don't no. I just want something that's going to hold up longer.

Man... I don't know what to tell you , I have an '84 gmc 1 ton crew dually w/ a bbc , all it hauls is an 11' truck camper [3000#] w/a 2500# boat on behind.... has 149K miles now & the ball joints haven't been touched & it's 31 years old !! I'd be talking to ford , that's just not right !!
dave

Reactions: RPM
I'm a Ford guy but if that's the case I wouldn't buy a Superduty. I'm real happy so far with my F150 so far.

Last edited:
What kind of wheels do you have? I always thought that the center line of the wheel should hit the ground at the same place a line through the ball joints (king pin) hit the ground. Wheel offset can whip the ball joint. But I am no expert.
As we say in Helicopters, You got to get the angle of the dangle right.

Its has the stock wheels on it with a little bit bigger tires, both sets of ball joints were OEM. I don't think much for some OEM parts. I have never went through ball joints on any of my other fords this fast. I want to call the dealer an see what they say.

Get back to us on what they come up with ....could be "verrry interesting" as Artie Johnson used to say:D
dave

I talked to the dealer this morning they said because the trucks are heavy components wear out faster, and the age of them its been about 7 years ago. So even sitting in the garage they still go bad. Maybe I should put it on blocks when its sitting to keep the weight off the front end.:laugh:

I talked to the dealer this morning they said because the trucks are heavy components wear out faster, and the age of them its been about 7 years ago. So even sitting in the garage they still go bad. Maybe I should put it on blocks when its sitting to keep the weight off the front end.:laugh:

The joints probably don't have grease zerks/fittings on them. I have used a needle that fits onto the grease gun to lube the joints when I change the oil. Weight has nothing to with them wearing out, it's inferior material, IMO. You can never have too much grease in a ball joint or u-joint, IMO. Just wipe off excess--rumble on.

Respectfully.... tell the dealer that's B.S....... the very fact that's it's heavy duty is supposed to mean it will handle heavy duty use/abuse... I believe at this pointI'd be calling Fords regional office..... Jeeez , it's built for heavy use but don't use it cause itwon't stand up !!!!!!!
it's "wearing out" sitting there !!!!!!
Think about how ludicrous that sounds !!!!!
dave

\

If my dealer ever said anything like that to me, I would have a hard time not bitch-slapping him. At the least, he would never see another dime of my money. I wouldn't trust him to work on anything I owned.

Now that my rant is over, I am going out to my steel rack and unload it before the legs of the stand wear out. Been sitting there loaded for over 25 years. Hope I'm not too late.:unsure:

BTW.....my son-in-law had an '08 superduty. Had a 100k mile warranty and he still spent over $10k in repairs before he got rid of it at 134k miles

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back