Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Belts and braces

Wow
for a simple little update on the weekends work that got some discussion going.

Its a great subject and needs to be talked about. I even had seat belts in my T in 1975, and used them on most occasions. If I remember they were mounted to the body which made them next to useless in any kind of impact but ignorance in youth... what can i say.

Keep talking guys there is some really good info and opinions out there and we all need to know them.

I was planning to make a 4 legged drive shaft 'loop' over the top of it and fix it at each corner to the round tubes that run between my rear cross member and my trans cross member BUT. Considering the point of a drive shaft breaking through the fixings and getting hold of the seat belts has made me think - cheese wire come to mind. Going to have to have a look see and think about this one. Like others I have run brake lines away from the probable range of the drive shaft if it should break. Not to sure about the Pogo effect as its so very short I am pretty sure it cant hit the pavement from either end.
Keep talking guys, nothing but good can come out of this one
Gerry

Mike, I have a lot of cousins from my Portuguese family. On the racing side, my first cousins, two brothers, who formed and built chassis out of Caruthers, CA, the TRIGUERO BROTHERS, burned the San Jose track up in super-modifieds In the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

Red #1 car racing for more than 3 decades won State Championships CA several times. Drivers Edlund Everett and Sammy Swindell are just a few of the drivers that drove for the team. Also, they were good friends with

dragster racer, Denver Shoots, out of Fresno, CA. @bobnunes

"George, it might be my fault for not noticing, but are you making any progress with that car? Looking at that particular photo, there's a lot happening there that is really slick. I hope you are or will keep photographic record of the build."

Mike, Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately the car is just about at the same point that it is shown in the pic. Maybe a couple of little things have been added but not much. It's kind of hard to develop a lot of enthusiasm for your own stuff after making things for others all day. A good way to ruin a hobby.

Most of the stuff on this car is a bunch of homebuilt stuff. I started with the idea of buying the least amount of stuff, just raw materials and hardware where ever possible. I doubt that much of this would be of any interest to most of the followers of this board as it can't be had at Speedway. If you have any particular thing that is of interest to you and would like some more detail, let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting some more pics.

George

the pic of your belt tenioner. I see your belt has knobs on the inside. You think that round bar might make the belt wear out pretty fast running over the bar? Might be better on the outside or maybe a small bearing or a piece of tubing and grease on the bar to spin?

the pic of your belt tenioner. I see your belt has knobs on the inside. You think that round bar might make the belt wear out pretty fast running over the bar? Might be better on the outside or maybe a small bearing or a piece of tubing and grease on the bar to spin?
If i'm looking at it right it's not done but a pully tentioner will ride on the stud..I THINK.

OK guys, well spotted
BUT
That is the shaft that a roller bearing will sit on. If you look at the pics you may see the threaded hole in the end for the retainer and bolt. Sorry did nt mean to catch anyone out. I will post pic with the bearing and pulley on.
Gerry

Well, it's not airbags but a little something better than fiberglass and toothpicks. I've never understood the idea that bodies will come unattached from the frame in an accident if decent mounting fasteners are used. And by decent, I don't mean those rubber expansion plugs that TP used. I'd think that a motor and transmission assembly would be more likely to launch themselves during a sudden stop as they would have much more kinetic energy and mass.

DSC02015.jpg

Thats a great idea, but how do you get the body on? You cut it in half and glass it back together? I am seriously thinking of some sort of cage, as most drivers around here are idiots.

OK guys, well spotted
BUT
That is the shaft that a roller bearing will sit on. If you look at the pics you may see the threaded hole in the end for the retainer and bolt. Sorry did nt mean to catch anyone out. I will post pic with the bearing and pulley on.
Gerry

finished the idler this evening, took loads of pics and every one was out of focus. Hope my Little Olympus is not giving up the ghost. Try aging tomorrow and hope to post them then
Gerry

finished the idler this evening, took loads of pics and every one was out of focus. Hope my Little Olympus is not giving up the ghost. Try aging tomorrow and hope to post them then
Gerry

Camera working again so here the pics of the finished idler.
I bought a bearing rated to 26000 rpm and turned a pulley out of alloy so the bearing was a press fit in to it. Then made a front plate, spaced it all to run in line with the belt and bolted the front plate to it. Simple.
Also with this set up I can remove the whole assembly without any signs that it was ever there. So if I decide to make up some sort of system for a fan which can incorporate a tensioner The ider can be taken off.
ideler fin1.JPGideler fin2.JPGideler fin3.JPGideler fin4.JPG

gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back