Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Had a big bowl of Menudo this morning and got after it. The primer from earlier this morning was dryer than I thought it would be. So, I flipped the frame over and finished priming. I'll let her set tomorrow and do the black paint. My land lord decided today was clean the shop day, so I got moved to a new spot. I just wish he would have done this weeks ago!

full

full

I put on my thinking cap and came up with a way to paint the top and underside of my frame without having to keep flipping it. A quick trip to the hardware store and I purchased 4 8" bolts, which I'll run through the shock mounts on each corner. Then, I can rest the assembly on 4 jack stands. I'll have to lay down to get underneath, but it's better than flipping the frame over.

1st coat of color! I'll let this sit over night and do the second and final coat tomorrow.

full

full

Did ya lay on a creeper to paint the bottom? Looks good, and a second coat should/will make it better.

A creeper would have been too tall. I laid on my back a went for it.

full

Finished the second coat about 2 hours ago. It seems the second coat is the smoothing coat. No pics because it looks like the one above and I doubt the smoothness would show in pics. Next step will be getting rear shocks to finish out the back half. Then, I'll start saving my hard earned coins for the front brakes, etc.

So, I mounted my master cylinder and I have a question. It's been my understanding that the larger bowl of the master cylinder routes to the rear brakes and the smaller to the front disc brakes. Am I correct or is old age creeping up on me?

full

full

full

Old age for me too, but I believe disc brakes "use" more fluid so the larger bowl is for the discs.

Yup...... you're right. It took a phone call to Ron to confirm it and I'm reserving a room in the nearest rest home. Now..............GET OFF MY LAWN! DAMN KIDS!

P.S. Ron is a T Bucket version of Google.;)

Well said Fred, he answers your questions and never rushes you off the phone.

As the disk pads wear the puck does not return so the fluid takes the space so the large resavoir goes to disk. All wheel disk has two large resavois.

Reactions: RPM
Another thing that threw me off was, for some reason, I was thinking the large section would be in the rear and the smaller would be forward. But like I said, I may have been having a premature senior moment.

There are 2 schools of thought on this. Master Power Brakes, from their "Tech Talk" column at their web site says, "When dual reservoir master cylinders originally made it onto the scene, one of the reservoirs was much larger than the other. This was generally considered the reservoir for the drum brakes due to the sheer volume of fluid needed to push the brake shoes out followed by the return of all that fluid back to the master cylinder. Disc brakes didn’t require the same volume in the reservoir." However, others with a lot of experience in brakes say the front brakes are ALWAYS plumbed to the largest reservoir, and that's the way I did it. Speedway and Spirit both show this method.
Brake MC 2.jpg

I don't buy the largest volume going to the rear at all. When you release the brakes the springs pull the shoes back where they were before brakes applied so the fluid goes back where it came from. The disk brakes have nothing pulling them back so the fluid stayed in the caliper.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back