Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

The way I look at is to compare the size of a wheel cylinder on a conventional brake system and then look at the size of a disc brake caliper. The disc brake caliper requires more fluid than a conventional wheel cylinder therefore a larger reservoir. IMHO

Jim

Has anyone seen my glasses? Where the hell are my car keys? AARP is the bee's knees! Why are those kids, STILL on my lawn?!:D

Thanks, guys. I got it now.:)

The master cylinder has the same diameter hole for both outputs. The pistons travel on the same shaft and therefore move the same amount, the bore is the same size for both, so the amount of fluid being moved must be the same. If that is the case, each brake line is allowed the same amount of fluid, and the size of the reservoir above it has no effect on anything unless you run out of fluid at an equal rate in both reservoirs. The only way the size of the reservoir would indicate anything would be if you somehow were moving the pistons independently of each other, and one traveled farther than the other within the same diameter bore or if one had a larger bore than the other. Is that not correct? If so, it shouldn't matter what line goes to what.

Can't ague with that theory at all. I suspect since the caliper has larger capacity inside, as wear occurs it takes more volume to keep it full, hence the need for the larger reserve in the master. So, why the need for two reservoirs? Why not just one larger one? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lets move this Master Cylinder discussion to the brake section and not clutter up this project.

The master cylinder has the same diameter hole for both outputs. The pistons travel on the same shaft and therefore move the same amount, the bore is the same size for both, so the amount of fluid being moved must be the same. If that is the case, each brake line is allowed the same amount of fluid, and the size of the reservoir above it has no effect on anything unless you run out of fluid at an equal rate in both reservoirs. The only way the size of the reservoir would indicate anything would be if you somehow were moving the pistons independently of each other, and one traveled farther than the other within the same diameter bore or if one had a larger bore than the other. Is that not correct? If so, it shouldn't matter what line goes to what.

SCIENCE!

Can't ague with that theory at all. I suspect since the caliper has larger capacity inside, as wear occurs it takes more volume to keep it full, hence the need for the larger reserve in the master. So, why the need for two reservoirs? Why not just one larger one? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lets move this Master Cylinder discussion to the brake section and not clutter up this project.

Okay.

Here we go.......

full

full

full

Using the "American Graffiti" sound track for back ground music, I installed my front end pieces.

full

full

full

Great looking front end, Fred.:thumbsup: And I love the red painted holes in the I-beam axle!:D

Thanks. Every time I look at it, I'm glad I put in the extra effort. 2 hours with a 1/4" brush!

Unless you get hold of a step bore quick take up master cylinder.

A little bit of sunshine.

full

full

full

I think that frame needs some red pinstripes! That little bit of red in the holes ain't going to do it!

I think that frame needs some red pinstripes! That little bit of red in the holes ain't going to do it!

That thought crossed my mind, but I shook it off. There's a reason the holes are red.;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back