Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

The all black look that is popular today reminds me of the cheaper toy cars that we played with back in the day. Those cars had hard black rubber or plastic wheels with no definition as to a wheel or hubcap. I'm just an old fart that can't kick that feeling of cheap looking toy cars. IMHOJim

Well, Jim. We did that 4 decades ago to 'be different' and almost 100% of us went to chrome or shiny rims. Black on black seems to destroy the relationship between the working part (rim) and the responsive part (tyre).... Just love the sight of a wrinkle wall braced and ready against a chrome 5 spoke.

And yet again JMHO.
G

Ya know, it actually still works. Just depends on the car and style, a person is going for. Just my observation.

black.JPG

black1.JPG

black2.jpg

;)

I was planning on using the same rims. What sizes were discontinued ?

Series 69 Delux

My rears are the 15x8 5x4 3/4". They're shown on the website, but when I called Jegs, they said discontinued. Summit Racing said the same thing, but had 8 wheels in their 2 retail stores. Mine came from Georgia.

I don't know how much red you want to use (your using red on your axle) how about red pin striping on the rim bead area?

Fred. Just saw a show "Speed is the new black" on Velosity channel and they had a car with wheels like yours with white wheels with baby moons and it was slick. No beauty bands. Might be a way to change up the look. Red wheels to go with the axle holes. Nobody has red wheels! Lol

I was planning 15X12 on the back and 15X6 on the front ,, they were one of the only wheels I could find that had those combo's and the chevy bolt pattern for the fronts and the ford bolt pattern for the rears.
The price was the nail in the coffin, I was sold.
Hope they are available in winter when I am ready.

STILL.... on that damn fence!:)

black3.jpg

black4.jpg

Top pic shows a complete lack of differential between the rim and the tyre..... just a black round thing on the corners of the car.

Cant say this enough, its just MHO>, and that has upset many over the last 4 decades.

Top pic shows a complete lack of differential between the rim and the tyre..... just a black round thing on the corners of the car.

Cant say this enough, its just MHO>, and that has upset many over the last 4 decades.
I agree with you, Gerry. The lower pictured car looks much better. IMHO

Jim

The top car has a more sinister look, I like a break between the tire and rim, but it depends on the flavor of the build, big picture... it's really just personal preference, build it to make YOU happy! If you don't like it, change it!

.... big picture... it's really just personal preference, build it to make YOU happy! If you don't like it, change it!

Yes, that's what I'll end up doing. I'm just posting my thought process for future reference. My build thread is also a kind of journal. That's why I drift so much. Plus, I tend to day dream when bored.

The thing about the 2nd car, IMO, is I can't picture a "race car" having beauty rings. Seems like a clash of ideas. The rings do look good on it, but it doesn't match the rest of the car. Looks like I'll be searching vintage salt flat and drag cars to see how popular beauty rings were.

Last edited:
Can't see the wheels, but.... just for the hell of it....

rims.jpg

Fred,

I like the bottom picture better. I wonder if the bottom car would look better with just rings or....maybe black rim and just the moon caps......? Stay on the fence until you are ready. One of the great things about these cars I'm finding is there is always a different way to go after I have finished something and I'm standing g back looking at it.

PaulR

Okay...... back on track. It seems that beauty rings did make their way to the salt. I have much pondering to do.

rims2.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back