Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

The top car has a more sinister look, I like a break between the tire and rim, but it depends on the flavor of the build, big picture... it's really just personal preference, build it to make YOU happy! If you don't like it, change it!

Yea, like I said earlier, I liked the rings when I put them on my first bucket. They changed the whole attitude for the better. I'm just thinking about how they would look on this new build. The final decision will probably be made when she's close to the finish.

More brain food.:D

rims3.jpg

rims4.jpg

Salt flats would be killer. There aren't many places left to go have fun. I miss the days when we could run the secondary roads safely. Too much traffic around here.

I got to cross the Bonneville Salt Flats off my bucket list a few years ago.

Jim

Whew........ just got done bleeding the brakes. Good peddle. 3 hours and 4 leaks. Seems like there's always at least one or two leaks. The rear drums could have a little better grab, but I'll adjust them when I install the emergency brakes. Just glad to be done with it. Should have tires next week.

Oh...... by the way........ IT'S NOT DONE! I still have things to do. Remember........IT'S NOT DONE! This car is NOT finished. The popcorn got way too cold and I tossed it out. But I can make more, if and when I need to.

This has been my mantra for awhile now when anyone says crap....... NOT FINISHED!!!!!!

SM

Whew........ just got done bleeding the brakes. Good peddle. 3 hours and 4 leaks. Seems like there's always at least one or two leaks. The rear drums could have a little better grab, but I'll adjust them when I install the emergency brakes. Just glad to be done with it. Should have tires next week.
Not being critical, just a comment based on my experience with drum brakes. From experience, the shoes should be adjusted tight against the drums to bleed so there is as little wheel cylinder movement as possible. That's also how to adjust them. I was taught to adjust them so the wheel was firm to spin and would stop moving soon after you stopped spinning it... like a quarter revolution with the wheel installed. The wheel should spin, but should have steady, noticeable friction from the shoes. The amount that the wheel travels after you let go is how you determine to adjust the other side... try to get them equal. They will quickly fit themselves to each other on the road. They being the shoes and drums. My second job out of high school was as a mechanic in a cab company... we put drum brakes on all day, every day, even re lined them, lol. Good progress!

Not being critical, just a comment based on my experience with drum brakes. From experience, the shoes should be adjusted tight against the drums to bleed so there is as little wheel cylinder movement as possible. That's also how to adjust them. I was taught to adjust them so the wheel was firm to spin and would stop moving soon after you stopped spinning it... like a quarter revolution with the wheel installed. The wheel should spin, but should have steady, noticeable friction from the shoes. The amount that the wheel travels after you let go is how you determine to adjust the other side... try to get them equal. They will quickly fit themselves to each other on the road. They being the shoes and drums. My second job out of high school was as a mechanic in a cab company... we put drum brakes on all day, every day, even re lined them, lol. Good progress!

Hmm...... I'll try that in a few hours. I'm going to have to take the drums apart when I install the emergency brake lever and cables. But bleeding the drums as you suggest does make sense. I've never bled them like that before. I know about leaving them snug when everything is done. Thanks!

I'm getting real close to being off the fence.;) I found this pic when I moved some pics off my Photobucket account. Maybe there's a reason I kept it these last few years. That's a T Bucket using CCR's stretched body.

23T_idea44.jpg

23T_idea45.jpg

Last edited:
23T_idea46.jpg

23T_idea47.jpg

Done. I did as Fletch suggested above. Pedal/arm (don't have a peddle yet) was a little firmer, but I expected that. So, NOW she's bled.:)

I'm getting real close to being off the fence.;) I found this pic when I moved some pics off my Photobucket account. Maybe there's a reason I kept it these last few years. That's a T Bucket using CCR's stretched body.

Those pix are from Street Rodder, May 2004, which I also saved. Nice bucket! and I dig the wheels!:thumbsup:

I should have "Dahlia" on all for wheels next week. When I can see her with the wheels and center caps, that MAY shift me to the beauty ring side of the fence. Maybe. But that set up in the pic above REALLY looks good.

My old car without beauty rings:

full

and with:

full

There's no question that rings looked great on the old build. Will I think they'll look good on this one? Has yet to be determined.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back