Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Builder's Depression?

jbisme

Do you suppose it is possible to experience depression over having to wait to build a hot rod like a T-bucket?

Around my home the sky is grey. I'm looking out my back window at the truck frame that holds my engine and rear end. I sigh thinking of the build that will start in the spring. The anticipation of connecting parts of what was a beat-up junky old truck into a unique creation makes me long for these winter months to pass. Imagining the roar of the engine as it comes back to life, gets my heart pumping and my hands shaking. The smell of the exhaust, the smoke of the tires as I let out on the clutch, "Yes its alive... its alive." But no, not today, not tomorrow, but soon very soon and for the rest of my life...

Just goofing around...;)

Kinda like me when I would have to wait between paydays to buy a part. When I say "a" part, I mean that literally! There were times when I would get a part, put it on and have to wait to order or find the next piece of the puzzle. Some stuff I had to save months to get! It hurts and in my case, doing research, planning, asking about things that would pop up later (ask Rick, I used to ask some stupid questions:eek:) and mainly just dreaming would keep my mind in motion towards an end.

These days will pass and before you know it, you'll be showing us a sh*t eatin' grin from your first drive. Keep the faith. It's worth it. If all else fails, you could find a box about 48" long X 40" wide and 2' deep, sit in it and make car noises.:lol: Just don't let the family catch you!

If all else fails, you could find a box about 48" long X 40" wide and 2' deep, sit in it and make car noises.:lol:

What's sad is I sat on the truck frame and did just that. I sure can't wait to get this last "iron in my fire" over with to free up the money I need.

I'm glad your T is going back together and looking good.

If you don't want to wait, find another motor to work on or start making brackets and parts for the chassis.......that should keep you busy.:lol:

Mike

Why dont you download youngsters plans and get started. The sunflower swapmeet is just around the corner if you had a roller and a plan you could be mobil before you know it. the ss minnow was a hoot but get serious about a practical build and channel that energy in the right direction and shazam its a done deal FO-SHO. Rooster chapter 9 verse 7. {I usually charge for my motovational speaking}.

Oh ye doubters... have ye no faith? :flex:

What doesn't look practical about the revised boat-car? :wacky: It looks darn spiffy to me.:snooty:

newboatcar3.jpg

Trust me, there are 3 specific reasons the build will be put off until March.
Why dont you download youngsters plans and get started.
T-buckets don't seat 4, my plans will.:) Be sure to let me know when that Sunflower swapmeet is.
my depression comes from lack of cash to buy parts :)
Amen :pray:

Looks like it needs to be put in the water and the plug pulled.jmo

Lack of money is a poor excuse. I say that in a pleasant way and mean no disrespect.

I built my first airplane when I was flat out busted. All you need is a positive attitude and the willing mindset of a hot rodder. When I was looking for a motor I found one, is it ideal????....NO....but it was free and it's good enough to have fun. Since that time people remember me asking about engines and I have had multiple people now tell me they would give me a motor. That's also how I ended up with my airplane motor......and most of the parts.

Find a structural steel company and ask for there cut-offs????? Works for me!!!!

Your gonna need brackets so start making them....if you don't have tools then use a hacksaw and a file!!!!! Do it on your lunch break.....that gives you 30 minutes a day!!!

I made airplane brackets for my airplane built on my lunch breaks for 2 dam years and the cost was nothing but time and a willingness to go through the process without giving up.....

Need a body?????? First off , if I was broke I certainly wouldn't build a brady bunch boat but instead concentrate on something practicle. If you cant afford a fiberglass body then build a wood buck.......get a hammer.....and a stump......and start pounding out steel and make your own...........

Steel too expensive?????? then cut steel off a junk refrigerator or what ever else you can scrap out.

Either way......Hot Rodders just start building

If your really really broke.........then I would reconsider building anything.

Mike

they sell steel by the pound in my area, that pretty much goes for any steel aluminum, stainless you buy in my area.. when you go to the steel yard and say yea i need 4 foot of such and such, they hit a button on walkie talkie, and say ok go back and look in the drop rack, then whatever i find is relayed back and they figure up the cost by foot or weight depending on size of drop.. and generally they cut me a little slack cause i have done alot of business with them in the past.

generally what i do is buy alot of parts at once, start building whatever, and design whatever in the process, get figures, figure out what look i want, parts i will need in the future... use up what parts i have on hand, then take money i have saved and buy a bunch more parts, rinse and repeat..
that way, when day to day things come up, and you have to take a break from the build you always have parts around, and when time permits you can put some time on the project without having to chase parts as much..

yes my garage looks like a T blew up in it.

just seems like my build goes slow, guess cause i took a couple months off on it... i'm definetly in no hurry, and my ride will be unique to suit my taste and i dont care what others think of it.. just remember not to cut corners, do it the best you can .. i bet alot of people will like my ride, sure some wont, but i dont care either i'm building it for me not them.. besides who wouldnt like a metallic copper T with a tunnel ram and maybe wide whites with white naugahyde interior, wish i could shoot metal flake :)

my next major purchase is going to be headers, just need to figure out if i want stainless or coated, jaysters or sprint style... decisions decisions..

You are gettin a lot of good advice from folks that have been there JB. The project you have in mind would be fun but maybe impractical for someone with limited skills and/or tooling. I would suggest (my personal opinion) start with just a basic T bucket build. The most basic car done well will be more satisfing that a complicated one done poorly. More than once i've seen complicated projects abanded because the builder either ran out of enthusasm or ran into a problem that couldn't be overcome. Sadly this are either parted out or sold off at a substanual loss to the builder.

Ron

jbisme said:
Oh ye doubters... have ye no faith? :flex:

What doesn't look practical about the revised boat-car? :wacky: It looks darn spiffy to me.:snooty:

newboatcar3.jpg

Trust me, there are 3 specific reasons the build will be put off until March.

T-buckets don't seat 4, my plans will.:toast: Be sure to let me know when that Sunflower swapmeet is.

Amen :pray:

Looks perfect to me, but may I suggest round tail lights? Maybe those found on a 30 Ford truck. Okay, that wasn't very nice of me, but it was fun.:sorry:

Whats this a T- Bucket won't seat 4.....Bull. Mine seats 5 with no problem and it was way easier to build than you think. Trust me. Keep it simple...you'll be glad you did.
CIMG1487.jpg

Wayne that bucket is awesome!!!! I know how i feal when just one of my girls ride with me i cant imagine all 4 that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sign of a great dad is the smile on his kids face.

HAceT said:
Whats this a T- Bucket won't seat 4.....Bull. Mine seats 5 with no problem and it was way easier to build than you think. Trust me. Keep it simple...you'll be glad you did.
CIMG1487.jpg

This is awesome Wayne and looks like too much fun..

HAceT, that's what I'm building!!!!!!!!!! Just with a cover for the engine and make it an extended tub instead of having the center wall, that's about it.

Guys, I don't mean to brag, but the "iron in my fire" is I just about have my house paid off. The build is to celebrate doing that. It isn't the lack of funds, it is the lack of allocated funds. It makes no sense to build a car that will cost me about $3000 or so when I owe about $3000 on my house. Thanks for your concern, but I promised my wife I'd wait until the house is paid off.

As far as my build being complicated, it really isn't. Suspension and what I can or can't use with the old engine is about all I don't have much knowledge on. But I'm learning fast.

Mr. Fixit, mine will have round tail lights just because I inserted my foot in my mouth about your build. :D

In March, April at the latest, the build will begin with a better frame than the truck frame. My yellow trike took 8 weeks to build, this car may take about 15-20.

Guys, the first post was just an essay. I love creative writing, it is a winter hobby when the football games are blow-outs. I didn't mean for this to be a serious discussion about my future build. Sorry I should have been clearer on that.

Just like kids crawl into dad's car and make motor noises, the first post was me making motor noises on this thread. :eek:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back