Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carb Issue

I could come up but if I got a girl one of you guys would have to remind what I’m supposed to do!
Well that's NOT a problem, if we have to Jim can show you !

Maybe we should poll those in attendance !

Never said you wuz ugly, but to look in the mirror and judge for yourself. But you aint as young as you use to be either. Your wife loves you and that's all that matters.

IF you can get a new plug for the carb from the Mfg, I use to use Indian Head head gasket sealer to install, then started using elephant snot for water freeze plugs.. 3M trim adhesive in yellow for those that don't know the other term.

Lincoln nuts only 74 and T-tests a mere child at 64 , l've got a watch that old ....LOL j-b weld is gasoline resistant, thier " stick weld will work on a wet gas leak ; (like a tank) ....

It's not about the years--it's the hard miles and knocks that got us here. And I haven't been a child since I left home at 16 and told my father he wasn't man enough to whup me no more. Never looked back and no regrets or sniveling.

It's not about the years--it's the hard miles and knocks that got us here. And I haven't been a child since I left home at 16 and told my father he wasn't man enough to whup me no more. Never looked back and no regrets or sniveling.
Slow your roll , no reasonable person would think I was serious about you being a child , it's called humor ,harmless banter ,kidding,jeez lighten up !!Sorry about your upbringing , (If you were serious) ????

Not upset--yes bad childhood and life--mostly my doing--yep to growing older but not growing up and life is good every day I wake up and not in jail or looking for someone to do something for me and still enjoying the T-Bucket that I built and not a Show Car.. Mine is a driver even though I won't be doing any more 1000 mile trips.

Got the carb fixed yet? Just don' try any repairs like that on aircraft-I know from exeience what putting Pinto brakes on a Cessna will be to the FAA wizards at inspection time. And the boat spark arrestor air cleaner for the carb.

Talked with a very knowledgeable tech at Edelebrock this afternoon. The plug in question is indeed a welch plug that should've been sealed & swedged. Had no answer for why it looks like it has been drilled but actually wanted to warranty the carb even tho it was purchased 06/06/17. I told him that wasn't necessary but wanted to know how he would fix it.

His reply "That should be a punch mark not drilled hole, you can use a little JB Weld over that spot let it dry 24 Hours that should seal it."

GREAT, AT LEAST YOU GOT A GOOD ANSWER AND PROBABLY BETTER THAN WARRANTY AS YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAVE WORKS FINE.
Sorry about Caps Lock?

GREAT, AT LEAST YOU GOT A GOOD ANSWER AND PROBABLY BETTER THAN WARRANTY AS YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAVE WORKS FINE.
Sorry about Caps Lock?

Exactly. We already knew jb would be a good fix. Just wanted to hear it from him.

And no worries on the CAPS LOCK! lol

T-Test, I want to publicly apologize for something I said last week in the brake section. I took a little jab at you thinking you were taking a jab at me. I'm rather unrefined, unfiltered and at times sound like i'm bragging. But I certainly don't mean it that way. It's just how it comes out. I get overly excited some times and just want to share but do it incorrectly at times. :(

You are correct, it's all about good BS sessions, having fun & enjoying our cars.;)

So please accept my apologies! :thumbsup:

I can come up if you are going to cruise for some chicks !!!:cool:

The young babe's stay up way past your bedtime. I'm out if your talking about cruising the old folks home.:sleep:

I could come up but if I got a girl one of you guys would have to remind what I’m supposed to do!

orf, if you keep the same hours as Indy you won't have to worry about what to do. It'll never happen.:(

Picture this, our wives :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: because they know we're all full of s&>t and would be babbling idiots if one even talked to us. :eek:

Just don' try any repairs like that on aircraft-I know from exeience what putting Pinto brakes on a Cessna will be to the FAA wizards at inspection time. And the boat spark arrestor air cleaner for the carb.

No worries there. If it's not per manual and FAA regs my name does not go on it. It's not worth a fine, jail time or having my A&P tickets pulled. Whatever I sign off stays with the plane for its life. Big responsibility and lives on the line. My family flys on these birds too. You would not believe what these overseas contractors are getting away with.:mad:

T-Test, I want to publicly apologize for something I said last week in the brake section. I took a little jab at you thinking you were taking a jab at me. I'm rather unrefined, unfiltered and at times sound like i'm bragging. But I certainly don't mean it that way. It's just how it comes out. I get overly excited some times and just want to share but do it incorrectly at times. :(

You are correct, it's all about good BS sessions, having fun & enjoying our cars.;)

So please accept my apologies! :thumbsup:

No worries as I done that same thing all my life. No regrets and no sniveling.

No worries there. If it's not per manual and FAA regs my name does not go on it. It's not worth a fine, jail time or having my A&P tickets pulled. Whatever I sign off stays with the plane for its life. Big responsibility and lives on the line. My family flys on these birds too. You would not believe what these overseas contractors are getting away with.:mad:

Yes I would because I once was there.
The plane I did the brakes on was my Brothers 1954 Cesna 182or smaller number--I forget such details. Flew many times in it and never had any of the repairs I made fail. Never been FAA certified for anything. Didn't know at that time what was legal.

Now fix the carb.

Agreed. Most likely just a frustrating conversation. But worth a shot. Maybe I'll talk to the right person who can send me the proper plug.

Thanks Lee! Figured JB Weld would be a good solution.

Good solution if the proper plug can be found. Not sure their is enough material left to push around for a good seal. I seem to remember plugs like this coming in quadrajet rebuild kits. I was taught to install them using clear lacquer nail polish as the sealer. I doubt the nail polish on the market today is fuel resistant though. Miss the good ole days. I could probably walk into any shop and find a mechanic who's got a leftover plug laying around.

Leaning heavily towards the JB Weld. Especially since others who have replied have had success using it. May do a test with clear nail polish and gas before I commit to JB Weld though. Gotta get it fixed this week tho. Wife is leaving Thursday to visit family in NM and I'm on vacation the following week. So I'm batching it for a week and want the car drivable.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! :thumbsup:
Many carb kits used to provide small parts like that. "Mike's carbs" is a on line store that sells carb pieces and parts, they may have one. They have lots of gm carb stuff. I get brass floats and ethanol safe parts from there. JB weld would likely do it. I've had good luck with that marine epoxy that is in a tube. You just pinch off a section and kneed together. I've patched chemical tanks that where in use with it as a emergency temporary fix and was surprised at how well it worked. Not a suggestion, but I have drilled and tapped ports in carbs in the past due to corrosion damage. Old hard to find stuff. Good luck with it.

Many carb kits used to provide small parts like that. "Mike's carbs" is a on line store that sells carb pieces and parts, they may have one. They have lots of gm carb stuff. I get brass floats and ethanol safe parts from there. JB weld would likely do it. I've had good luck with that marine epoxy that is in a tube. You just pinch off a section and kneed together. I've patched chemical tanks that where in use with it as a emergency temporary fix and was surprised at how well it worked. Not a suggestion, but I have drilled and tapped ports in carbs in the past due to corrosion damage. Old hard to find stuff. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice fletcherson. Also appreciate the tip about Mike's Carbs. I added it to my favorites .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back