Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ceramic Coated Leaf Spring

Indycars

Instead of chrome I was thinking about using a ceramic coating on my front leaf spring. Unlike chrome I could pick a nice color to match the rest of the car. Posies wants $260 for a nice 26" spring, but double the price to $520 for a chrome front spring, I'm hoping this would be a better cost effective solution.

Has anyone done this?
Did you coat all surfaces or just the surfaces that are visible?
How does this compare to powder coatings?

Rick

I purchased my spring from speedway and the chrome was really nice and it works quite well under 200.00

Rick
[/quote]

[/quote]
I purchased my spring from speedway and the chrome was really nice and it works quite well under 200.00

Rick

Maybe I'm over reacting to the spring I have now, but its the reason that I wanted get something with tapered and rounded springs. The spring I have now won't stay lined up, the ends are not cut straight..... The taper will give me a variable rate spring, should be a nicer ride.

Rick

Powder coating works, but what is wrong with paint??? Now you can have any color you like, and it is way easier to change if wanted or needed... just me here.. :good:

Its certainly worth giving it a try, I can always ceramic coat it later if I'm not happy it.

Rick

The only problem I see with coating a spring either with powder or ceramic is the 400-600 degree temperature they bake that stuff on at. What effect will those temps have on the temper of the spring? I don't know. But it is something to check on before you ruin a good spring.

usually powder coating cures at 400 - 450. I pretty sure that won't affect the temper of the spring. I'll ask around at work and get some opinions and repost later.(I work in a machine shop that does stress relieving and hardening of tool steel and spring steel)

The only problem I see with coating a spring either with powder or ceramic is the 400-600 degree temperature they bake that stuff on at. What effect will those temps have on the temper of the spring? I don't know. But it is something to check on before you ruin a good spring.

We've powdercoated a lot of rear leaf springs with no adverse effects (Family owns a coating shop in Indianapolis). I can't recall if we've ceramaic coated any buggy springs, but we have done a lot of hood springs with no issues. Either will definately be way more cost effective than chrome. My whole front suspension (axle, hairpins, brackets, panhard bar, calipers, spindles, etc.) is ceramic coated with an additional clear coat. It's held up well and most think its polished aluminum. Powder is less expensive and can be done in a silver metallic or a "chrome" powder with a clear coat over it. Here is a shot of my front end during the PowerTour. Note that my valve covers, intake manifold, aircleaner, and headers are also ceramic coated:

DSCF1073.jpg

Here is a rear axle we did in "chrome" powder. It typically is a bit milkier due to the clear coat.

carpicsjpg4.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I would have thought ceramic to be too brittle for springs. Since Ben has done it, it must work.

RPM, you might be right. At Eaton Springs website they say to NOT heat the spring above 350F or it lose it's temper. But like most things there are more that one opinion. Here is their take on this.
http://www.eatonspri...mingSprings.htm

Here is all their Tech Questions
http://www.eatonspri...atqMainPage.htm

Rick

usually powder coating cures at 400 - 450. I pretty sure that won't affect the temper of the spring. I'll ask around at work and get some opinions and repost later.(I work in a machine shop that does stress relieving and hardening of tool steel and spring steel)

Thanks for checking, its good to have another opinion!

Rick

We've powdercoated a lot of rear leaf springs with no adverse effects (Family owns a coating shop in Indianapolis). I can't recall if we've ceramaic coated any buggy springs, but we have done a lot of hood springs with no issues. Either will definately be way more cost effective than chrome. My whole front suspension (axle, hairpins, brackets, panhard bar, calipers, spindles, etc.) is ceramic coated with an additional clear coat. It's held up well and most think its polished aluminum. Powder is less expensive and can be done in a silver metallic or a "chrome" powder with a clear coat over it. Here is a shot of my front end during the PowerTour. Note that my valve covers, intake manifold, aircleaner, and headers are also ceramic coated:

DSCF1073.jpg

Here is a rear axle we did in "chrome" powder. It typically is a bit milkier due to the clear coat.

carpicsjpg4.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Very nice car, I kinda like the look. It's a bit different than chrome.

To me it seems that ceramic coating would be more durable than powder coating, but thats just my guess.

I do have one question about the rear end. Did you leave the horizontal welds because grinding them smooth would have weaken the housing too much???

Rick

Does anyone have an antifriction coating that will work and look good? Probably would be black. Maybe chrome with properly prepared spring leaves (smoothed, beveled ends, etc.) ? Properly prepared, chrome pieces that interact usually have very low stiction. I don't know, jus' throwin' it out here.

John

Does anyone have an antifriction coating that will work and look good? Probably would be black. Maybe chrome with properly prepared spring leaves (smoothed, beveled ends, etc.) ? Properly prepared, chrome pieces that interact usually have very low stiction. I don't know, jus' throwin' it out here.

John

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case. Poises puts a moly-nylon button between the leaves that reduces the friction.
http://www.posiesrod..._slide_springs/

Rick

Very nice car, I kinda like the look. It's a bit different than chrome.

To me it seems that ceramic coating would be more durable than powder coating, but thats just my guess.

I do have one question about the rear end. Did you leave the horizontal welds because grinding them smooth would have weaken the housing too much???

Rick

Rick: Ceramic is pretty durable, but is more exprensive product-wise and labor wise. The ceramic has to be polished after curing and that requires a large vibratory polisher and someone to guide it for at least 40 minutes. I like the look better as I'm a fan of polished aluminum, but not a fan of hand polishing... but powder is also a durable product with tons more color options (ceramic only has about 5) and sheens. It is also very economical. There probably isn't a whole lot of cost difference on something as small as a spring, but on an axle or the like it would be significantly less.

As for the axle, that was a customer's axle and they had already prepped the welds and such to their liking. We just cleaned, blasted and powdercoated it.

John

You could teflon coat, but that would probably be out of all of our budgets! We do anti-friction internal engine coatings, but I don't think we've ever done them on a spring....

One thing to remember is that any leaf springs with rubber or nylon sliders would have to be taken apart for Powdercoat or ceramic coating. As it was stated previously, the powder process is 400-425 degrees curing and the ceramic is 500+.

You could teflon coat, but that would probably be out of all of our budgets! We do anti-friction internal engine coatings, but I don't think we've ever done them on a spring....

One thing to remember is that any leaf springs with rubber or nylon sliders would have to be taken apart for Powdercoat or ceramic coating. As it was stated previously, the powder process is 400-425 degrees curing and the ceramic is 500+.
Well, just for giggles, won't hold ya to an estimate, how much approimately would it cost to teflon the leaves of your typical front spring? Or for that matter, a rear spring, say a Model A? I do all the disassembly, smoothing, beveling, ect. Send you the individual leaves. Could this be done at home (under controled conditions).

John

Well, just for giggles, won't hold ya to an estimate, how much approimately would it cost to teflon the leaves of your typical front spring? Or for that matter, a rear spring, say a Model A? I do all the disassembly, smoothing, beveling, ect. Send you the individual leaves. Could this be done at home (under controled conditions).

John

We don't do the teflon coatings as it is very specialized and not the market we go after. We focus on custom Automotive, Racing, motorcycles, etc. There are a few places that do it and I've heard its very expensive. We do a variety of hi-temperature ceramic coatings, powder coatings, internal engine (friction and thermal) coatings, and a few specialized coatings like Kephos and Dow 7.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back