Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ceramic Coated Leaf Spring

Just to throw this out there but does anyone make a mono leaf that fits a t bucket? A single fiberglass leaf would look nice I think.

I believe Ted Brown Has a mono leaf on his front end.

I have had quite a few things powdercoated. The parts are in the 350-400 deg oven for about 20-30 minutes. Just long enough to melt and flow the powder. I would doubt that short of time would harm the integrity of the leaf spring. My springs are chromed and I have heard chrome plating will brittle a spring. They have been on the car since 1994 and still don't see no problems.

I have had quite a few things powdercoated. The parts are in the 350-400 deg oven for about 20-30 minutes. Just long enough to melt and flow the powder. I would doubt that short of time would harm the integrity of the leaf spring. My springs are chromed and I have heard chrome plating will brittle a spring. They have been on the car since 1994 and still don't see no problems.
You just have not hit the right bump as yet, the springs always seem to be fine, till one fails... and then again, most GOOD chrome shops bake their chromed springs before the customer gets it back, as they do not want the problems that may cause... Ride safe :angry: PS, I have a home made front spring, made from new spring stock 2 1/4" wide X 48" overall length... Mine happen to be powder coated.

have hit many a hard bump and have seen MANY chrome springs. I ain't seen or heard of one fail yet. Maybe I'd be afraid of a monoleaf but when you have 5 or 7 leaves I don't think you will have a problem.

I've never seen a spring break, but if one did, wouldn't it do so where it begins to transform into the eye? If that were the case, monoleaf or multileaf would be the same.

Just to throw this out there but does anyone make a mono leaf that fits a t bucket? A single fiberglass leaf would look nice I think.
I was looking at VBP tonight. They make composite monoleafs for Corvettes, but say they will make a custom. I'm thinking of calling them.

I believe Ted Brown Has a mono leaf on his front end.
I made up my own spring using new spring stock, 2 1/4" wide X 48" (48" over-all) main leaf, 4 leaves total.. If/when the main leaf breaks the rest will hold the car up as it will fall only to the bottom radius rod... or to the travel stop at the axle, which ever comes/happens first... :jester:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back