Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Custom Interior

Mr. Fixit

Can any of you South Florida folks recommend a custom upholstery company?

Thanks.

Can any of you South Florida folks recommend a custom upholstery company?

Thanks.
Did ya find any? I am looking also,been told about riveroauto.com,so plan on going buy to see.
Have been thinking also of just doing my own,but haven't done any for about 45 years+ ,yet did a few way back.

I found one with lots of pics.My link
3.73.jpg

9.jpg

This should be moved to the tech section for future reference.

Ron

I picked up a used [but not for the last 20 years or so] sewing industrial machine for the asking,so if i can get it running,i'll try out some stuff and we'll see what i can remember from back in the late 1950's summer job i had at Newt's Upholstery. Looking forword to it and post some update when there is any.It's and old Columbia 440-2,I even have both a fork foot and a one side foot that fit,but all the wiring is rotted away.

I noticed that some of the roll and pleat material was ALREADY "SEWN" in material. Wonder where he got that?

I bought a upholstery sewing machine last winter, but haven't gotten started with a new interior. I think I can do this, maybe with some trial and error, but I will get started soon.

Well after a few days of work,adding all new wireing and clean and oil all the parts of the old sewing machine,then adjusting by the down load off the net about this thing,it runs,sews way to fast,like ya can't steer it. So been trying to slow it down,added a extra long arm to it's clutch for some better control [helped a little,but not enough] motor had a 3.25" pulley so added a smaller 2.25 in. pulley to motor[off a old 12v alt] better but still not slow enough to steer,so still need even smaller yet. I'll try a 1.5 next. And report back later.
This over speed sewing thing is all over the net about these type sewing machines.
Begining to rethink what free sewing machine really means,should of thought buy a used one with a good slow speed control,O-well we'll see.

Well after a few days of work,adding all new wireing and clean and oil all the parts of the old sewing machine,then adjusting by the down load off the net about this thing,it runs,sews way to fast,like ya can't steer it. So been trying to slow it down,added a extra long arm to it's clutch for some better control [helped a little,but not enough] motor had a 3.25" pulley so added a smaller 2.25 in. pulley to motor[off a old 12v alt] better but still not slow enough to steer,so still need even smaller yet. I'll try a 1.5 next. And report back later.
This over speed sewing thing is all over the net about these type sewing machines.
Begining to rethink what free sewing machine really means,should of thought buy a used one with a good slow speed control,O-well we'll see.
The motor should be a d.c. motor that way you can control it fom the foot pedal like a home sewing machine.The foot pedal is a reostat like the old slot cars the farther you pulled the trigger the faster they ran.

Mr fixit any body know what is going on I was thinking about how his bucket was coming the other day ?

Thanks Rick,good idea,don't know if it'd be in the budgjet for new motor,i'll look around. I did fine 1.125 id pulley,so added it,helped more ,yet still a bit fast,so I'm practising handcranking around corners or at ends and lonely sewing starits,tell I can slow it down more.
Haven't heard from Mr Fixit at all.

Look for a servo motor. That allows you to slow it to a crawl without trying to "feather" the pedal. I was in the same boat as you with the machine, first time I tried it the fabric shot out across the table!! Scared the hell out of me...lol

I now have a 1.5 pulley and a very steady foot, seems to fit me just fine so far. I do find on the turns I pretty much hand sew the tight corners then let the machine take over.

This is the motor everyone seems to recommend:
http://www.mcssl.com/store/keysew/catalog/product/418746aceffc4d92bdad95a3584ec776

Look for a servo motor. That allows you to slow it to a crawl without trying to "feather" the pedal. I was in the same boat as you with the machine, first time I tried it the fabric shot out across the table!! Scared the hell out of me...lol

I now have a 1.5 pulley and a very steady foot, seems to fit me just fine so far. I do find on the turns I pretty much hand sew the tight corners then let the machine take over.

This is the motor everyone seems to recommend:
http://www.mcssl.com/store/keysew/catalog/product/418746aceffc4d92bdad95a3584ec776
Thanks for the link Keeper,i get the idea now,i'll do some looking for any used servo motor i can fine,$200 not in bank right now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back