Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Don't mess with an electric fence

Telman2

Put your drinks down before reading if you value your keyboard.

Thought y'all should read this in case you're thinking of installing an electric fence! We have the standard 6ft. fence in the backyard, and a few months ago, I heard about burglaries increasing dramatically in the entire city.

To make sure this never happened to me, I got an electric fence and ran a single wire along the top of the fence. Actually, I got the biggest cattle charger Tractor Supply had, made for 26 miles of fence. I then used an 8 ft. long ground round, drove 7.5 feet into the ground. The ground rod is the key, with the more you have in the ground, the better the fence works.

One day I'm mowing the back yard with my cheapo Wal-Mart 6hp big wheel push mower. The hot wire is broken and laying out in the yard. I knew for a fact that I unplugged the charger. I pushed the mower around the wire and reached down to grab it, to throw it out of the way. It seems as though I hadn't remembered to unplug it after all.

Now I'm standing there, I've got the running lawnmower in my right hand And the 1.7 gigavolt fence wire in the other hand. Keep in mind the charger is about the size of a marine battery and has a picture of an upside down cow on fire on the cover.

Time stood still. The first thing I notice is my balls trying to climb up the front side of my body. My ears curled downwards and I could feel the lawnmower ignition firing in the backside of my brain.

Every time that Briggs & Stratton rolled over, I could feel the spark in my head. I was literally at one with the engine. It seems as though the fence charger and the POS lawnmower were fighting over who would control my electrical impulses.

Science says you cannot poop and pee at the same time. I beg to differ.

Not only did I do all at once, but my bowels emptied 3 different times in less than half of a second. It was a Matrix kind of bowel movement, where time is creeping along and you're all leaned back . It seemed like there were minutes in between but in reality it was so close together it was like exhaust pulses from a big block Chevy turning 8 grand.

At this point I'm about 30 minutes (maybe 2 seconds) into holding onto the fence wire. My hand is wrapped around the wire palm down so I can't let go. I grew up on a farm so I know all about electric fences... but Dad always had those POS chargers made by International or whoever that were like 9 volts and just kinda tickled. This I could not let go of.

The 8 foot long ground rod is now accepting signals from me through the perm-a-damp Ark-La-Tex river bottom soil. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to have to just man up and take it, until the lawnmower runs out of gas.

'Damn!,' I think, as I remember I just filled the tank! Now the lawnmower is starting to run rough. It has settled into a loping run pattern as if it had some kind of big lawnmower race cam in it.

Covered in poop & pee, and with my balls on my chest I think 'Oh God Please die...pleeeeze die'. But nooooo, it settles into the rough lumpy cam idle nicely and remains there, like a big bore roller cam EFI motor waiting for the go command from its owner's right foot.

So here I am in the middle of July, 104 degrees, 80% humidity, standing in my own backyard, begging God to kill me. God did not take me that day... he left me there covered in my own fluids to writhe in the misery my own stupidity had created.

I honestly don't know how I got loose from the wire...

I woke up laying on the ground hours later. The lawnmower was beside me, out of gas. It was later on in the day and I was sunburned. There were two large dead grass spots where I had been standing, and then another long skinny dead spot were the wire had laid while I was on the ground still holding on to it. I assume I finally had a seizure and in the resulting thrashing had somehow let go of the wire. Upon waking from my electrically induced sleep I realized a few things.

1- Three of my teeth seem to have melted.

2- I now have cramps in the bottoms of my feet and my right butt cheek (not the left, just the right).

3- Poop & pee when mixed together, do not smell as bad as you might think.

4- My left eye will not open.

5- My right eye will not close.

6- The lawnmower runs like a spotted ape now. Seriously! I think our little session cleared out some carbon fouling or something, because it was better than new after that.

7- My balls are still smaller than average yet they are almost a foot long.

8- I can turn on the TV in the game room by farting while thinking of the number 4 (still don't understand this)

That day changed my life. I now have a newfound respect for things. I appreciate the little things more, and now I always triple check to make sure the fence is unplugged before I mow.

The good news, is that if a burglar does try to come over the fence, I can clearly visualize what my security system will do to him, and THAT gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over, which also reminds me to triple check before I mow.

Oh my god im laughing so hard im crying.Thanks for the up lift that is soooooooooo funny.Still crying

My one and only experience with an electric fence was when I was working as an electrician many years ago. I was working on a farm and had to lift an aluminum ladder over a fence. I inadvertently touch the electric fence wire with the ladder. I didn't have the thrill that telman2 had but I can attest to the fact that electric fences do work.

I have read that before, always good for :rolleyes:

Damn Telman your discription is so vivid this experence could be a Movie of the Week. I was laughing so hard i think i shot a spoonfull in the back of my boxers to.

Oh Man......farm kid here, no need to explain. Ive got stories but almost too friggin embarassing...

:lol::rofl::rofl: My only experience with an electric fence was squirle hunting one day and saw a wire nailed to the side of a tree (couldnt see any more of it right then) I pushed it aside with my foot, no squirles in those woods that day :eek:..Francis

I was raised in farm country my mom was good friends with a neighbor down the road.If you went by the street it was about a 1/2 mile between driveways ,However, if you cut across fields it was only a few hundred feet between houses so they would always cross the pastures to visit.One day the neighbor tells mom that they have an installed an electric fence but it will only be on when a particular horse is in that pasture.She also tells mom she should just tap the fence with the back of her hand to check it but not to grab it or if it is on she won't be able to let go!Everything runs smoothly for several months with the ladies visiting back and forth with no problems,Come mid winter the snow is almost as deep as the fence is high but the men are nice enough to do a quick pass with the manure bucket for a clear walking path for the ladies so even in snow the back path gets good use.Now for the new twist the fence charger dies so the guy goes and gets a "New and Improved " Much stronger and it pulses!Now you have got to know mom was under 5 feet tall and heavy built.One morning mom decides we are going to visit her friend so off we go across the fields we get to the fence and the little latch thing is frozen solid so mom can't drop the fence she does the swat thing and the fence is "off"the fence is about 3 feet high and moms legs are 26 inches but the fence is a bit loose so she just grabs it and steps over ,Now, just about the time she is straddling that wire it pulses! this is in the 50s and "house dresses " were the normal wear for woman.I found out that day that mom could out jump any basket ball player and hover longer than Michael Jordan ever thought of ! I also learned enough "bad words " that day to last me through the rest of my life and laughing so hard you pee your pants at your "funny mommy" makes for several days of no deserts!

that is about the funniest thing i ever read my eyes are still watering , now my experience with an elictric fence.i was hunting on a farm years ago back in middle tennesee and i came upon one and it was about 3 feet high and to high to step over so i put the butt of my shotgun on the wire and pushed it down to step over ,one leg over and the wire slipped off the butt need i say much more ,i was unable to father children for many years and yes peeing your pants straddling a electric fence is very upsetting considering every time it hit me i jumped causeing it to get me again kinda like roosters jumping chicken avatar

I had a friend that had a dog that kept digging out of the fence so he ran a wire around next to the fence and hooked it to a neon light transformer! Well the dog got about 3 feet from the fence and all his hair stood up so he never went close to the fence again. He took the transformer off before he killed somebody!

I was at an OTASCO store i think i was 10 ,41 years ago. They sold cattle prods i had seen them but not ever used one. My mom was bent over digging through a bin for something. I placed the prod on the top of her backside as a joke and pushed the button how did i know they had batteries in them!!! My mom hit me with a closed fist with a look on her face i have never seen before or since. I guess a mothers love does have limits.:doh:
Jump forward 30 years when the inviso fence first came out i bought one to keep my malamute in the yard. She would go nets when she got to close. Its advertised as a mild corrective shock so on sat i decided to test it i held it in my hand and steeped close to the burried wire. When i got back from changing my boxers i disconnected it and sold it on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I needed to hear those stories....

reminds me of trying to cut a live 110V wire in the shed with metal handled wire cutters...

Ok, heres mine...
Growing up I spent alot of time on my grandparents farm in the summer, they had a great bunch of holsteins and all that go along with them.
We hauled milk everyday in the old milk cans to the creamery.
In the evenings, after milking cows, after supper and visiting but before the news I always went out and turned the milk cooler thermostat down, made sure the water was all functional and checked the fence. it was usually pretty dark back by the fencer , usually tested it with a little light you held in your hand with a wire that stuck in the ground.. All was well.
for some oddball reason I decided to take a leak one night near the fencer and not in the gutter in the barn Why??? I dunno..You can guess the outcome, I hit the ground side stake of the fencer and it lit me up like a canadian thistle in august..I didnt do that again.. We had a fair amount of pasture and there was at the time alot of moose in the area so fixing fence was a neverending chore. I failed to unplug the fencer once and i was as far away as I could possibly be so I put the wire back on the insulator with just gloves on.Nothing worse than knowing your gonna get a jolt.. Nuff of electric fences for one lifetime, I cant even count how many jolts Ive had over the years, those were a couple of the memorable ones.

thanks for the heads up telman...i didn't heed it....had to put the old key board back on to respond to this post....way too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back