Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Drag T

:) When you gonna run it?

That style header is a real horse power killer on a naturally aspirated engine... 4 into one and a 2" crossover before the squeeze, and about a 26" stinger with 5 or 6" of quick flare at the end will blow you away at the power that makes... :) Look at the headers on carburetor type engines in boats... They just forgot to use the crossover, a very important part missed... That is from a very good friend that ran a Pro Dyno shop...

If I may ask...how big is your small block? Any idea on what kind of power you are making? :pilot:

If I may ask...how big is your small block? Any idea on what kind of power you are making? :pilot:
the motor is a '57 283 with a 4 in bore makeing it a 301 cid. dont know hp yet, gona get it on a dino soon. but i can say for sure that it will do 10,000 rpms. in the old car i was hiting around 7800 at the top end of the track and it was still pulling . that little motor made a beliver out of me. we are talking about a hilborn setup for it. the headers are done that way cause we run the vintage drags with this car so we try to keep it dated as we can. there are lot more power to be made but we run it just for fun not compition.....

the motor is a '57 283 with a 4 in bore makeing it a 301 cid. dont know hp yet, gona get it on a dino soon. but i can say for sure that it will do 10,000 rpms. in the old car i was hiting around 7800 at the top end of the track and it was still pulling . that little motor made a beliver out of me. we are talking about a hilborn setup for it. the headers are done that way cause we run the vintage drags with this car so we try to keep it dated as we can. there are lot more power to be made but we run it just for fun not compition.....

Those motors will turn that kind of RPM but they won't live long. Is it a stock 2 bolt main or does it have 4 bolt caps on it? Then what kind of rods are in it?

Those motors will turn that kind of RPM but they won't live long.

That's for sure. Even if you can get the valve train to co-operate, 10,000 RPM with a 3" stroke equates to a piston velocity of 5000 FPM. Very few engines can tolerate more than about 4000 FPM. That would be 8,000 RPM. There's a grenade with a bowtie on it in his future. :pilot:

Bob

That's for sure. Even if you can get the valve train to co-operate, 10,000 RPM with a 3" stroke equates to a piston velocity of 5000 FPM. Very few engines can tolerate more than about 4000 FPM. That would be 8,000 RPM. There's a grenade with a bowtie on it in his future. :pilot:

Bob
Way way back in 1973 I ran a drag car with a 302 in it. We used a 327 block and a 283 crank. Bored it .030 over. I worked in a machine shop at time so all the machine work was just my time doing it. Anyway. 2.05 titanium intake valve 1.6 titanium exhaust valves. Crane roller cam, with triple springs over 200 lbs of seat pressure and 600 lbs open pressure. Aluminum rods and super lite pistons with .043 top rings with gas ports.

Tunnel ram with 2 660 Holleys. A brand new Doug Nash 5 speed. Serial # on it was #2.

It ran 10.90s in the 1/4 mile back then, which was right there with my buddies zl1 Camaro.

Point is we left the line at 10,000 RPM and power shifted at 12,500 RPM.

The engine would only go about 20-30 runs before it needed main bearings in it. The 2 bolt caps would walk on the block and actually stretch the cap.
So yes they will turn a lot of RPMs but they won't last long.

Madmak, what are the cam specs for your 301? Is it a roller? Will you be using a rev kit? Roller rockers, stud brace, etc.?
dont know the spec . the motor was built and run in '66 thru '68 in a '32 ford coupe gasser. then a friend found the car in the back of a shop about 6 years ago and made a street car out of it. my pal got the motor for some body work on the car. all it need was an overhaul. we ran the motor in my old car last year. (30-40 runs) then pulled the motor down for a bearing change but it really didnt need it. its a roller motor with a rev kit. and the rods and crank are stock 283. i had a 3 speed stick in it and left at 6500, but we put a powerglide in this car. what will it do? how long will it last? we have no clue , but its gone have fun finding out.

dont know the spec . the motor was built and run in '66 thru '68 in a '32 ford coupe gasser. then a friend found the car in the back of a shop about 6 years ago and made a street car out of it. my pal got the motor for some body work on the car. all it need was an overhaul. we ran the motor in my old car last year. (30-40 runs) then pulled the motor down for a bearing change but it really didnt need it. its a roller motor with a rev kit. and the rods and crank are stock 283. i had a 3 speed stick in it and left at 6500, but we put a powerglide in this car. what will it do? how long will it last? we have no clue , but its gone have fun finding out.

Cool, IMHO just run it, have fun. If it breaks it breaks. Just build it stronger next time. Can't plan for everything in advance.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back