Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

drilled brake rotors

spike

Just put a new set of drilled brake rotors & new pads on the bucket (1st time trying drilled). Front brakes are Wilwood 175 single piston floater calipers. Only drove a few miles but notice a rubbing sound while braking soft. Not noticeable when braking hard. Is this normal & will they settle down once worn in more?

Spike

Just put a new set of drilled brake rotors & new pads on the bucket (1st time trying drilled). Front brakes are Wilwood 175 single piston floater calipers. Only drove a few miles but notice a rubbing sound while braking soft. Not noticeable when braking hard. Is this normal & will they settle down once worn in more?

Spike
If you bled the brakes yep your done.The 175 does not draw back away from the rotor.Remember the calipers are intended for go-karts.I've been fighting this for 4 years.You'll replace the pads at least once a year.The rotor will wear with gouges also.

If you bled the brakes yep your done.The 175 does not draw back away from the rotor.Remember the calipers are intended for go-karts.I've been fighting this for 4 years.You'll replace the pads at least once a year.The rotor will wear with gouges also.

I know what your saying, I do replace the pads & rotors every year. I guess the real question is: Is the vibration noise associated with the drilled rotors, as I did not experience this with non-drilled rotors and will it eventually go away?

Spike

I know what your saying, I do replace the pads & rotors every year. I guess the real question is: Is the vibration noise associated with the drilled rotors, as I did not experience this with non-drilled rotors and will it eventually go away?

Spike
I had the drilled rotors and when they went bad,REAL Bad i changed them out to the solid ones.I liked the drilled ones buy they squeeled even while driving lost the squeel/rubbing sound but the wear problems still there.The rotors will always have that sound. that sound(a fluttering noise)because of the holes.The rotors will always have that sound because of the holes.

I had the drilled rotors and when they went bad,REAL Bad i changed them out to the solid ones.I liked the drilled ones buy they squeeled even while driving lost the squeel/rubbing sound but the wear problems still there.The rotors will always have that sound. that sound(a fluttering noise)because of the holes.The rotors will always have that sound because of the holes.

Thanks rick. I guess I'll go back to the solid ones after these wear out.

I had the same problem / noise when I had my calipers too tight and they couldn't float back and forth properly. As soon as I bushed them correctly so they could move side to side the noise stopped.

Jeff

I had the same problem / noise when I had my calipers too tight and they couldn't float back and forth properly. As soon as I bushed them correctly so they could move side to side the noise stopped.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I did add more spacers to my calipers to achieve the same thing you are suggesting. I'm currently waiting for a friend to bring over a power bleeder as I seem to have a ton of air in the system that I can't remove manually.

You might try chamfering the holes with an over size drill or chamfering tool. I have read that this helps reduce the chance of cracks radiating from the drilled holes.

You might try chamfering the holes with an over size drill or chamfering tool. I have read that this helps reduce the chance of cracks radiating from the drilled holes.

Thanks Railroad, I actually countersunk & polished all the holes with a 120 deg countersink. I'm hoping for better results after I get the system power bled.

Well I tried everything I could think of - more spacers, countersunk holes,new brake pads, bled the system and still all I get is a vibration sound when braking. If there aren't any other suggestions I'm going to throw these in the "More Junk from Speedway Bin" (which is pretty full) as these are advertised to work on any Halcraft wire wheel.

Well I tried everything I could think of - more spacers, countersunk holes,new brake pads, bled the system and still all I get is a vibration sound when braking. If there aren't any other suggestions I'm going to throw these in the "More Junk from Speedway Bin" (which is pretty full) as these are advertised to work on any Halcraft wire wheel.
CALL JIM AT WINTEC TELL HIM WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHERE YOU BOUGHT THEM HE'LL WALK YOU THROUGH THIS MESS

great post the spacing inside/outside is no were close to what were delling with as the calipers press for braking the caliper pull back to the home positionit leaves us with .050 to split between the front and back of the pads and sometimes not that much then we got the sounds that he's talking about.This setupon a wire wheel this set up just flat blowsBut between us wheel hehehe figure it out.i'll get his phone number and work it out

I know you can work it out. I have the same rotors and calipers on two different buckets with Radir 12 spoke wheels and they do not make any noise.

Found some oilites at work on Saturday that I could modify to replace the current bushings in my caliper bracket. I turned them larger to tighten up the slip fit in the bracket & parted them off longer for more float when needed. These simple changes made a big difference. Now only have a little noise, no vibration. The link that 409T sent really made it all make more sense as to what needed adjusting. Thanks for all your help.

Spike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back