Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Eatin' Crow

Last summer I got to briefly drive a turbo AWD Volvo...driving was a blast, but wife and I were not comfortable in it. Otherwise I'd have it now.
I see them used pretty reasonably priced. I don't know how they hold up to the miles. I was just browsing CL and there were several Volvo and Saab awd turbo cars for not a lot of cash. I will have to educate myself on them and watch for a good donor car. How do you make them sound like a v8? That's the part I can't get past in a rod.

I see them used pretty reasonably priced. I don't know how they hold up to the miles. I was just browsing CL and there were several Volvo and Saab awd turbo cars for not a lot of cash. I will have to educate myself on them and watch for a good donor car. How do you make them sound like a v8? That's the part I can't get past in a rod.

The reason that they are frequently cheap is that they are interference engines. If the scheduled timing belt change is not done, there is a very high chance of the engine destroying itself. The change is expensive to have done, though not impossible to do it yourself if one has the mechanical ability. The low priced ones are usually the ones that are overdue for the timing belt service.

On sounding like a V8, I have no clue. That has never been an issue for me, since most of my gear-head activity in the past was with 4 cylinder engines. To me they sound fine with the right exhaust. If they are not crackely sounding, and do not sound like crazed chain saws, I'm good.

Last edited:
The reason that they are frequently cheap is that they are interference engines. If the scheduled timing belt change is not done, there is a very high chance of the engine destroying itself. The change is expensive to have done, though not impossible to do it yourself if one has the mechanical ability. The low priced ones are usually the ones that are overdue for the timing belt service.

On sounding like a V8, I have no clue. That has never been an issue for me, since most of my gear-head activity in the past was with 4 cylinder engines. To me they sound fine with the right exhaust. If they are not crackely sounding, and do not sound like crazed chain saws, I'm good.
I knew there was a reason. There usually is with CL finds, buyer beware! I used to run a shop back in the 90's and we replaced timing belts constantly. Back then it was the little Fords and the Chrystlers that were most prominent for slipped belts. I have had some fast non v8 cars too, but there is just something about the sound of a v8 that I really like, not too loud though. I can usually tell which style v8 from hearing them, they have distinct sounds. I had a 1973 Mazda rx4 rotory that was amazing for no bigger than it was. It seemingly had no top end, it would rev to 10k and live. I would like to find one for nostalgic value. I Haven't seen one in years. As for the awd thing, I know that someone makes an adapter or the like because I have seen a v8 awd in a roadster, but I didn't get the details. I thought it was a cool idea.

Thanks for the response. I had an early mentor as you did and lost him at Pomona in '71. I miss him every day as well. I am in Little Axe, Ok. so I'm not to far for a road trip! When I start my build I will let you know by PM. John

John...You still eyeballin' that Lotus/Brutan Super Stalker? Just wondering!

No, that is to rich for my blood. I think a bucket would perform about the same but I could build that. I still think the Midlana with my stretched Spirit body would be cool.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back