Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ENGINE LOOK

jackfordt

I am considering a retro engine look ex. finned valve covers , filter and more...................convince me ot not............................

I am considering a retro engine look ex. finned valve covers , filter and more...................convince me ot not............................
My favorite.

Well Jack,you havn't given us much information on what the motor is and the basic whole look of the car that you wish to dress up. Like if it is modern style T then anything could suit but if the whole cars is a early looking style including wheels and tyres that makes for different styling.eg the finned rocker covers etc.
My 350 in my bucket I dressed to a 60's theme,eg Ali finned water pump,ali front cover,ali finned rocker covers,ali finned oil filter cover,ali finned sump,flex plate cover and trans pan cover all polished as is the intake manifold. the triple carbs have had their base plates ceramic coated and the carb bodies clear coated topped with stainless air stacks. Even the radiator cap has a polished ali finned cap on top. The only thing that is realy too modern is the polished stainless flexi radiator hoses that I have used instead of normal rubber ones. I'm very happy with what it looks like and havn't recieved any negative comments on the overall look as yet.

Here is mine.

IMG_0113-21.jpg

Hey Bruce, does the wings on that Radiator shell cap give your front end any down-force? Hey. fins are cool! I like the old M/T style thats blacked out between the polished fins.... :wacky: :winkn:

Forgot my upload, now you can see
Well Jack,you havn't given us much information on what the motor is and the basic whole look of the car that you wish to dress up. Like if it is modern style T then anything could suit but if the whole cars is a early looking style including wheels and tyres that makes for different styling.eg the finned rocker covers etc.
My 350 in my bucket I dressed to a 60's theme,eg Ali finned water pump,ali front cover,ali finned rocker covers,ali finned oil filter cover,ali finned sump,flex plate cover and trans pan cover all polished as is the intake manifold. the triple carbs have had their base plates ceramic coated and the carb bodies clear coated topped with stainless air stacks. Even the radiator cap has a polished ali finned cap on top. The only thing that is realy too modern is the polished stainless flexi radiator hoses that I have used instead of normal rubber ones. I'm very happy with what it looks like and havn't recieved any negative comments on the overall look as yet.

Attachments

• 3792849281_915e7aa81f.jpg
    3792849281_915e7aa81f.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 73
Hey Bruce, does the wings on that Radiator shell cap give your front end any down-force? Hey. fins are cool! I like the old M/T style thats blacked out between the polished fins.... :wacky: :winkn:

Maybe a little down force :shrug: When I do the final finish on her, I'll do engine color between the fins.

Do you have more pictures , to see how you did the ignition wires. Thanks

They just run down behind the heads, and under the exhaust. Here is the best pic I have.

41810017.jpg

Yes painted between fins gives a nice look, breaks things up, easier to look at, IMHO and plug wires I like to hide as much as possible, I route them inside black fuel hose, that kills two birds with one stone, protects and hides... :)

Here's two what I call "classic" engine looks. The red '27 is my dad's and it has original finned Cal Custom valve covers and a finned air cleaner cover on his SBC. They both have been ceramic coated with the fins painted red. The blue '27 is mine and has original SBF Cal Custom valve covers (also ceramic coated) with a finned air cleaner. I'm not a big fan of my air cleaner and since I can't find a dual-carb one I like, I've been dreaming up a new one. Just need a chunk of billet and a mill!

I also advocate a "look" or "style" to be carried through on a Hot Rod. But like has been said, these cars a reflection of your personality and likes. Do what you like and what makes you happy :hoist:

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

Ben is on to it.

The covers should follow the theme of the whole car. And most buckets have a late 60s/early70s look or a race theme to them.

So IMHO, old Cal Custom style finned covers will look better than later model billet type covers.

Yes my covers were looking good on the shelves but its not on the theme. Have to start shopping again.
Ben is on to it.

The covers should follow the theme of the whole car. And most buckets have a late 60s/early70s look or a race theme to them.

So IMHO, old Cal Custom style finned covers will look better than later model billet type covers.

Yes my covers were looking good on the shelves but its not on the theme. Have to start shopping again.
Heres a clue from an old guy.

legshowmotor.jpg

Take from it what you want but this works for me
Gerry

I think you should go for the look you want for your T. This is always a wonderful place to get ideas from others (and this topic is an excellent example), but at the end of the day, your T has to please you.

do what you wanna do, not what others say. Its your car. But I like fins though, especially if they are painted between the fins.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back