Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

exhaust noise

2old2fast

I thought I'd post this , it might be helpful . I wanted to get rid of some of the "rap" & "drone" , standard 3 1\2" turnouts w/muffler insert....Made a sheet metal cone that fits inside the collecter [about 4" long] welded to the core of the muffler...then on the outlet of the insert , took a piece of 2 1/4" exhaust about 6" long , divided that into 3rds lengthwise , cut slots w/a cutoff wheel every 1/4" leaving about 1/2" between rows [picture a gun silencer,] welded that to the outlet.....this did pretty well at removing some of the noise that I was trying to get ..

Sounds interesting. Could you post pictures, or drawings? I know a guy in Texas with the coolest deep, throaty exhaust system on his bucket, by using Supertrap mufflers. I don't like their looks, and I wish there was a way to achieve that sound and keep it inside a traditional 3-1/2" extension.
Johns T.jpg

Last edited:
I have one set of headers with short fiberglass mufflers and one with screw baffles. Both sound great but the baffles will never pack or clog. Baffles also flow freer because the outer chamber is open. They sound great with a mildly hot-rodded small block.

I have one set of headers with short fiberglass mufflers and one with screw baffles. Both sound great but the baffles will never pack or clog. Baffles also flow freer because the outer chamber is open. They sound great with a mildly hot-rodded small block.
I don't think the screw baffles show up in the Speedway catalog. You may have to call.

Sounds interesting. Could you post pictures, or drawings? I know a guy in Texas with the coolest deep, throaty exhaust system on his bucket, by using Supertrap mufflers. I don't like their looks, and I wish there was a way to achieve that sound and keep it inside a traditional 3-1/2" extension.
View attachment 13257
Spanky, I'm building a new set of pipes and thinking of adding a Supertrapp thing:
jR2GkUh7JCbYQMLwuio0_yJdFkTNscxkY1K7fQlXLX9iCXSG9Y0SVLMqJmX5CeGRY04N1aOFFrKdWfwaIZk1AeSkbb7ZRdVN5F32SWxx27gvOgCSluZb0LeUbU_jSEhHyd21--twi5dHyjg_BiAQeQIsLrDyXL8EzCsw1qUuNvHErtU8Cf_DojdDW8YY9EFii75iLY_WXPYMMQdhA4ibVdJ353-5-ah9GebJscwH-Bdxbxuik1PB4NsTYgNN6pxcyAFf6_wl1LUV88ecMwEpgP17KciTJQuEzwV6FmMFyYi3-kJ9bzvrELom7AyiDVt-X9y92FKQSyoiESfsgH4RQbnN0WnUcXpyKgtaWccAbmEn7Q8Vjkwf682RhJPgrs6f2TSoQ5dEtmeOGa24BcT96Qgt-9UsAtkSk9xlgKrYLyEFLpow_gxOxL2T5wTz1z4aEA36H6H-9RsoC82LQt1NpOej112v5YqZVPmtI_PHRjFxmoiGN8b8q-FQg29RMDputxTGBudTm_KNQuxonrlJwSIXv7Pvt8TQ4eH9esk-scb-TXKYTG9s-rzS6BXgGCtfVm9_v3CwdarbRC2LLLtVhyFOrzAuns-75KKs8xdrAUTS6tTca3v3=w1161-h745-no

Supertrapps are a number of discs stacked such that exhaust goes thru a hole in each disc and is forced to exit at the edges. Maybe Supertrapp pieces could be used (they sell the discs and other parts), or one could just make some discs and see what happens.

Looking forward to your findings , from what I've read the supertrapp design is prone to high back-pressure/ horsepower loss , wish I new ??

Too much back pressure? just add a few more discs, more discs the louder it gets too.

I have thought about incorporating cut outs and mufflers underneath with pipes ran back to the rear axle so when I don't want to hear the rumble, flip a switch. I'm not close enough to that point to worry about it right now, just a thought. It may me a consideration as a addition, once it's on the road.

Super Traps on the 32. I like them but expensive. I do not think long term much tuning would be possible because I think the small allen head screws will seize up.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back