Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

First Snow

IF global warming is happening--my arse will be on fire by tonight with the temperature at 10* and the wind chill at 0*. here in N.C. A lot of people that live in colder climates are use to this-- but I'm NOT!! Been to Alaska, know what cold is when you can't go out side by yourself in case you fall down, you can't get back up without help with all the suits you have on. Looked like a Michelin tire man or the marsh mellow man.

If there has EVER been a scam, this is one of global proportions. Where did the big freeze from prehistoric times come from? God? No, it came from the natural changes of the earth which will occur again--some day. Who knows? I hope not to be here when it happens.

The only thing I see wrong is we[people] are not renewing the trees we use as that is what cleans and makes the air we breath. Air quality is bad in more populated areas and more fossil fuel burning to support them. If Government were to limit such crowding, they would lose there income from the cities and towns to keep up with their existence. Hence no progress.

Which came first-the egg or the chicken- the answer will be left to those elected to think for us. Sheeple!
They have to deplete them so they can patent and charge us for them...like everything else.

[QUOTE="hulkamania, post: 180536, member: 3050"]I am sitting at home watching tv and thought I heard thunder. I mute the tv and all of sudden see lightning and then hear thunder. It is raining and the temp is 27 and with wind chili it is 17. I just hope we don't lose power after ice build up on power lines and trees.[/QUOTE]

My wife just reported to me that 12 miles east of Mountain View it is all ice covered. She couldn't get her car up my rock road/driveway and had to leave it at a neighbors and walk in. Tomorrow is suppose to be worse! I'd like to ring Al Gore's neck!

Reactions: RPM
Now just think, come July it will be 100 degrees and we will be asking for ice.
We got about a 1/2" of pure ice, then about 2" of snow on top of that. It has only go to a high of 24 today. More snow on the way tomorrow, the weather guessers are saying 3-5". We will see. The low Thursday is -15.

I never ask for ice, ever! I never complain about heat either.

It is snowing, here. And we're expected to pick up between 4" and 6" of the evil stuff. With no temperatures above freezing, in the next 10 days.

It was -5° actual, last night and I offered to dot the eyes of anyone who b*tches about hot weather, this year. I do not like extremes, but I will take extreme heat over extreme cold, every day of the week.

It is snowing, here. And we're expected to pick up between 4" and 6" of the evil stuff. With no temperatures above freezing, in the next 10 days.

It was -5° actual, last night and I offered to dot the eyes of anyone who b*tches about hot weather, this year. I do not like extremes, but I will take extreme heat over extreme cold, every day of the week.

I'm 150% with you on that subject Mike! I'll take ole Texas heat everyday I'm on the planet before I'll enjoy one day of almost cold! Could be a hot Rum and Coffee day coming!

For what it's worth, I don't like any temperature that is lower than my age. That is why I moved to Florida as soon as I retired. (Florida: otherwise known as God's waiting room.)

Jim

For what it's worth, I don't like any temperature that is lower than my age. That is why I moved to Florida as soon as I retired. (Florida: otherwise known as God's waiting room.)

Waiting on anything will make you get older fast. God's plan is to enjoy what you have, for if you ask, you will receive. You just don't know when where or how!

Jim

I have always said that I like the cooler weather than the hotter weather. I don't care for the extreme cold. Because when it is hot you can be naked or almost naked and be sweating like a champ. When it is colder you can at least bundle up and be comfortable. I can be outside working in the colder temps and be sweating and be able to remove layers and be fine. Just my two cents. There are benefits to summer time though!

Thankfully, the meteorologists had their heads jammed in those warm, moist, and dark places again. We did get snow, but only about 2.5".

I think when I die, I want to come back as a meteorologist. Name me another job where you can guess at everything, be wrong on 75% of your guesses, and still have a job.

Josh, I can live with (note: I did not say I like it) cold weather, but when that amounts to dealing with temperatures below zero, and wind chill numbers that range anywhere from -20° to -40°, then that is simply too cold. I just don't own enough clothes to be comfortable in that kind of weather. You can bundle up as much as you want, and you are still cold.

Our heat index numbers regularly climb over the 100° range, but at least I am not wearing three shirts, a sweatshirt, and a coat to still be uncomfortable. Of course, I am fortunate in that I do not sweat, I merely perspire. :roflmao:

I get a kick out of the way the girls profile, over on campus. When I left for work, Thursday night, it was zero, outside. As I was working my way through the building, teaching the new employee how to lock everything up, girls were streaming through the first floor, heading to the local watering holes for Thirsty Thursday. They walk through the buildings, to minimize their time in the cold air. The majority of them were not wearing coats. Some did have sweaters on, but I saw two girls in short-sleeved blouses. Wind chill numbers between -5° and -10°, with bare arms?!? They are tougher than myself, that much is certain. I guess it's all about having your stuff on display and looking fine, rather than risking frostbite. I guess if you look good enough, then maybe you don't have to worry about walking back home, aye? ;)

Not to buck the trend here, but it seems that people bitch and complain more about the weather these days than they used to. It's not really any colder or snowier than it has been all my life, but lately every one bellyaches about it. Maybe because after getting all this technology to improve people's life, you still can affect the weather? I dunno, but I'm really tired of hearing it. This is Winter- it's supposed to be cold and snow (at least here in the Midwest).

I was in Houston and Austin earlier this week and it was 65 and sunny. I sure enjoyed it as it was like spring. When I got in Thurs nite it was 2deg. Oh well. Spring will be here soon enough. More reasons to stay in a warm shop and work on the Purple Powder Pickup!

OK - rant over. Get back to shoveling everyone!

Last edited:
Not to buck the trend here, but it seems that people bitch and complain more about the weather these days than they used to. It's not really any colder or snowier than it has been all my life, but lately every one bellyaches about it. Maybe because after getting all this technology to improve people's life, you still can affect the weather? I dunno, but I'm really tired of hearing it. This is Winter- it's supposed to be cold and snow (at least here in the Midwest).

I was in Houston and Austin earlier this week and it was 65 and sunny. I sure enjoyed it as it was like spring. When I got in Thurs nite it was 2deg. Oh well. Spring will be here soon enough. More reasons to stay in a warm shop and work on the Purple Powder Pickup!

OK - rant over. Get back to shoveling everyone!
I used to work out in the weather and set Steele, weld all day, build stuff, etc... It was ruff, but I enjoyed it somewhat. lately it seems to wear on me much worse. It seems like the summers are less enjoyable, more rain and extreme temps, winter is long, grey, etc... Spring and fall don't really exist anymore... Of course it hurts much more now than it ever did, that's a big part for me. Now they are calling for 10 or so days of the same pattern, I hope they are wrong.

I used to work out in the weather and set Steele, weld all day, build stuff, etc... It was ruff, but I enjoyed it somewhat. lately it seems to wear on me much worse. It seems like the summers are less enjoyable, more rain and extreme temps, winter is long, grey, etc... Spring and fall don't really exist anymore... Of course it hurts much more now than it ever did, that's a big part for me. Now they are calling for 10 or so days of the same pattern, I hope they are wrong.

It's your GOLDEN YEARS!! Keep up your health, or you'll really feel the weather changes!!

Not to buck the trend here, but it seems that people bitch and complain more about the weather these days than they used to. It's not really any colder or snowier than it has been all my life, but lately every one bellyaches about it.
I think it's more of an age-related thing. When I was a wee lad, I would play outside, in the snow, for hours on end. I would go inside and cringe as my extremities would go through that pins-and-needles stage, as they warmed up. The doc warned me my blood pressure meds would make my hands and feet get cold, and he was certainly not wrong. I have to wear gloves, when temperatures drop into the forties. And in this kind of weather, my hands just ache, after I am out for a few minutes. I am starting to see the early signs of Dupuyten's contracture, and it seems like cold temperatures aggravate the condition.

And you are right, I find winters to be rather mild, most of the time. It was brutally-cold, last winter, and we did have a lot of snow. But I remember when we would have snow on the ground on Thanksgiving, and it would be there until April. When you built your first snow fort of the winter, you designed it well, because it would be there until spring. I went to afternoon kindergarten, and was walking down the drive at the house where I was raised, one snowy afternoon. I broke through the top crust on a drift, and sank in to my armpits, with my feet still dangling. I remember my Da coming out, pulling me out of the drift, and carrying me to school on his shoulders. Today, the schools are all poised to press the panic button for a minimum, two-hour delay, if snow is even mentioned in a 72-hour forecast.

Of course, when I was a child, we had to walk 10 miles, to and from school. And it was uphill, both ways. And we were too poor to have winter coats and gloves. :whistling:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back