Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front hydraulic shocks for a Spirit chassis...

Here is a set we installed on a frame we built last week, going a guy in Amarillo Tx. He just want them welded on, so we left the top ears off.
kcshockmounts.jpg

Paul, what file format would you like the plans in? I can do DWG, DXF, PDF, DOC, JPG or BMP.

Rockn, you need to be really precise when drilling the bolt holes into the frame. What I did was clamp the mounts to the frame using two heavy C-clamps, one vertical and one horizontal, then used the holes in the mounts as a drill guide. If you just center-punch the bolt holes and drill them free-hand, the bit will walk on you and the holes won't line up. Don't ask how I know! :rolleyes: I did this before I had the mounts chromed. I them tapped the bolt holes. I forget what size I used. Also, my frame rails are .188 wall, so I'm pretty confident the bolts will hold. Got two seasons on the mounts and they are still tight.

Hi Lee, PDF format would be good, thanks

Hi Paul
Hows it going
Gerry

Hi Gerry, pretty good thanks and yourself. You must be getting close to completion now with yours.

I'm just rebuilding my 'glide trans for a second time, (doing it myself this time, it should have had a new case last time and it split in two) had new interior to get rid of the rubbish tweed stuff, and a load of other little updates that all seem to take forever. Gonna replace the frictions with hydraulic shocks to try and sort out the front bounce now too.

Cheers, Paul

Lee has a great setup, he knocked it out of the park. I used it too with good results. The front suspension is just perfect going down the road and over bumps. My brackets are bolted to the frame with 5/16" fine thread, locktite both top and the sides 4 bolts per bracket. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't shake this mount loose. A really great design IMHO. I used CCR for the hardware kit for the shock mounts ect. %They have really good stuff too.
P1120824.JPG

I liked the look when I first seen them,,,??? is that brake line going to be a problem or is it just the camera angle ??

For T-odd, Duke and anyone else interested, here are some pix of my new front shock set-up. I designed the shock towers after I found that the CCR parts wouldn't work with the Spirit frame design. My design is essentially the CCR profile stretched forward to properly line up with the spring shackles I am using. RPM made the towers from a CAD file I sent him. I polished them and had them chromed. It cost more to chrome them than Ron charged me to make them!! :eek: I have the design in CAD and PDF format if anyone wants it. Pix are hosted on Photobucket... sorry Todd. I'll e-mail you your very own copies! ;) By the way, I have a pair of CCR shock mounts if anyone is interested!

Thanks Lee, looks like they are just what I need, I'll mock them up and give them a try, Many thanks for your help

I'm building a 27 T using Lee's setup also. Love this setup and can't wait to try it out!!

frontend27ford005.jpg

yep got them today thanks ,,

Lee a great big Thank You for posting. I am working on front shocks for my T and you have saved the day. Is the fram bracket 3/8 " metal?
Again Thank you
Terry aka dirt t

For T-odd, Duke and anyone else interested, here are some pix of my new front shock set-up. I designed the shock towers after I found that the CCR parts wouldn't work with the Spirit frame design. My design is essentially the CCR profile stretched forward to properly line up with the spring shackles I am using. RPM made the towers from a CAD file I sent him. I polished them and had them chromed. It cost more to chrome them than Ron charged me to make them!! :eek: I have the design in CAD and PDF format if anyone wants it. Pix are hosted on Photobucket... sorry Todd. I'll e-mail you your very own copies! ;) By the way, I have a pair of CCR shock mounts if anyone is interested!

FrontShocks001.jpg

FrontShocks002.jpg

FrontShocks004.jpg

FrontShocks005.jpg

FrontShocks006.jpg

FrontShocks008.jpg

FrontShocks010.jpg

The sharp-eyed folks will notice that the shackle is bent in the above pic. That's because I had to bend it away from the spring pivot for the bottom of the shock to clear the bulge in the spring pivot. The proper way to do this would have been to have a shackle plate made with the proper spacing, but I didn't have the patience to deal with it. Maybe next winter. :confused:

Sorry for how dirty everything is... still haven't found the time to wash the T and shine up everything.

BTW, the shocks are Pete & Jakes shorties. I think they're about an inch too long, but I can't find anything shorter. Or the mounts are an inch too short... design error. So far, I haven't bottomed them out, but I haven't hit any big chuck holes yet!!

I should also note that the front of my Spirit chassis sits about 3" lower than a stock Spirit, because I had them raise the spring perch about 2.5" and I used a reversed-eye spring. If you use these shock mounts with a stock Spirit front end, you'll need longer shocks.

I really like those mounts, I have the same issue, would you have the extended and compressed measurements for those shocks or the part number and brand. I will have Ron make some but I want to make sure the distance between lower and upper mount will work with a shorty shock

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back