Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front panhard bar Yes or No

T-Odd said:
I'll probably put mine back on, but I noticed no difference in the ride.

Todd, there is no difference in ride with or without one. It has nothing to do with front end wobble either. It is merely a lateral locator.

My brother's 40 coupe had longer front shackels as a cheap way to get it lower. they allow more side to side movement . If you are mixing pieces the spring needs some preload with the shackels at a 45' angle with the engine installed. more reason plan ahead.

Larry, it certainly makes sense to have it there to act as the lateral locator and that's why I'll probably put it back on when the heims come in.

Gotta get crackin, NATS are around the corner.

I am not trying to tell anyone to not use a locater unit of whatever choice they like.. I myself have a Watts link on the rear end, My Front spring is the correct length and I use a single hanging 5/8" bolt, in place of shackles, as it works free in any direction, no binds to the spring... Many miles on this setup, many fast curves along the way, and I have watched my axle very close in every type of stress I have put on it... I am very pleased with this type of mounting, wish I had done this years ago.. Now I do see way too many front springs that the main leaf is too long, shackles are hanging too far down, those need a track bar of some type, just remember to make it as long as there is room for, and keep it as level as possible, in the center of the suspension travel. Plus, those mounts had best be plenty strong, if you tear one out of the frame or rearend housing, it could be a real bad happening when it gives up all of a sudden... Happy, safe, cruisin:)

This I thought after alot of didcussion on alot of other posts would cause quite the discussion that it has. Giving people alot of things to try sorry if this made you change thought on what you already put together.
Putz

LKE said:
Todd, there is no difference in ride with or without one. It has nothing to do with front end wobble either. It is merely a lateral locator.
I'm sorry I was long winded about my post on here,but all those things needed to be said,cus way to many do not understand it,I would strongly say those that don't ,carefully reread what I took the time to put down slowly an entell they get it. That udearstanding can really help ya.
Ture not all need a panhard bar as noted ,but some really do,and I did say why!.:cool: No bar can be very much one of many things that makes deth wobble if shackles hang low.

I like mine i have a CCR frame and i saw this on spirits web site and i added it to my car. Keeping the geometry in check it cant hurt. I was afraid of the bump steer or death wobble but it was straight as an arrow with 1/8 toe in .

This time i bought a Speedway 4 bar front end assy and it has a panhard. I figure Speedway wouldn't have put it there if it was a bad thing. Also have cross steer, another reason the panhard stays.

old round fart said:
Ted, Do you have any close-up pix of your front end setup?
Well I will try this again hehe the pic is in my album here...
275-spring-hangers-arms-no-shackles-used.jpg

275-spring-hangers-arms-no-shackles-used.jpg
[/IMG] well one way worked and one way did not .. hehe getting closer to these pics.:lol:

old round fart said:
O.K. then how do you account for that? Oh and by the way, what took you so long to respond? hehe
I had to take a dump.. hehe I made the spring that way, as it is the safest way a spring can be, if you need height, change your spring mount, or you could use a spacer of some type to raise the chassis up... We used to run real wild arched springs on some AG/S cars, not the best idea... Live and learn, the more I learn, the more I know how little I know... :lol:

So the end of the spring just kinda pivots on the mounting bolt, or is the mount slotted and sitting on teflon? I plan on driving a LOT and want as good a ride as I can get. The frame on my long car flexed to ride like a lemo. Leverage.. ever heard of that....hehe!

Leverage???? what is that?? never heard of that before... hehe :) almost forgot to answer your question,,, I use the big 4 bar bushings in the spring and the axle hanger.. top of the hanger and bottom of the spring, 3/4" hole in the bushings, 5/8" x 3" bolt with nylock nuts.
Been hangin there for a few years now, no problems at all... I was thinking about maybe making a trick, hidden overload spring leaf, for heavy downs, and crazy ups.

It's definitely needed in a cross steer or rack and pinion setup (mine). My Speedway 4-bar came with it. I disconnected it once and the car was virtually undriveable, jerking left and right constantly.

PotvinGuy,

I believe I saw your car about 6 years ago at the Goodguys in Fort Worth. Really a unique cars. My laser buddy really was droolin' so I took a number of digital picture for him. I'll look tonight when I get home and give the once over again. I was curious as to how it cooled in Texas heat? You need to put up a number of frontend pictures for everyone to see. Thanks for posting it.

George

PotvinGuy said:
It's definitely needed in a cross steer or rack and pinion setup (mine). My Speedway 4-bar came with it. I disconnected it once and the car was virtually undriveable, jerking left and right constantly.
Your T sits just right,,, lookin great... I also put a 4 bar setup on my new chassis, not using heim joints on mine, are you? :lol:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back