Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel tank for Fad

Been working at it off and on for the last year and a half. I'm retired with a slavemaster for a boss ... lol

Ron

I have been working on the mount for the fuel tank. It will cantilever out from the body and mirror the diff pad. Picture are really hard to take but maybe you see where Im going to. There will be an 8mm base plate on the mount which will be where the tank sit. Kept in place by the 4 10mm countersunk bolts.
Should make the rear end look really together and clean. All the pipes will run inside the bracket so nothing on show. I have also included some of the ORIGINAL card mock ups of the tank from many years ago.
3incardboard.jpg
originalont.jpg
cb5.jpg
cb4.jpg
cb2.jpg
cb1.jpg

gerry

Gerry,

That tank is some incredible work! Cracks me up you call that a garage. Looks like a metal fabrication shop to me. :)

Gerry,
Just a thought here... You might want to throw a fuel return line in there (and plug it) just in case you one day decide to go to Fuel Injection, or need a vapor lock cure. Probably you already have thought that out, but just in case... Just think, when you start the Chinese production line going on it, you will be all set! :rolleyes: Looking fantastic...
Corley

Hi Corley.
The big pipe with the 90 degree bend in it is the return for my EFI. You cant see the feed in the pictures as it has not been welded to the bottom plate yet.
Really, all I have is a normal UK Garage that measure 7' 6'' wide. I do have the use of a workshop, but its 20 miles away.
Gerry

Quick update.
Pipe for fuel feed down to the reserve tank. Machined them up today ready to weld.
feedpipe3.jpg
feedpipe2.jpg
feedpipe1.jpg

Gerry

Going to stick my neck out here a bit. Gerry everything on your build is well constructed and has a well thought out look. I wondering about the mount for your tank. Might I pose a suggestion? On the bottom, if you were to build a recessed area in it, it would look less bulky. Or would that interfer with the mounting?

Ron

Ron
All suggestions are welcome. Its easy to miss things when you are so close to it.
The mount for the tank will cantilever out from the body and is a copy of the diff mount pad but turned upside down. The mount will be 'hollow' to house the feed, return and breather pipes and fittings. The pipes which will be run inside the body once they pass thro the mount. This way there will be no visible pipework on the tank at all. I thnik that once the tank is on the mount and the body the mount will sort of disappear as its below and behind the tank itself. Hard to explain but in a short time I hope to have it done and pics posted.
thanks for the suggestion though. Never know I might get it finished and not like it
G

You clearly know where your going. Gotta tell ya I really look forward to your posts. Super car, super workmanship and super builder.

Ron

heres a little update.
I know its taking time but with Xmas and all, well you know.
I had to screw cut the top of the filler neck because the brass cap is so badly made the threads are not near any standard fitting I can find. In fact you could screw the cap in to the brass neck that came with it and then just pull it straight out.
Plan is to weld the top to the neck and then turn it smooth in a lathe.
filler4.jpg

So after all your help and advice on MIG welding I have decided to let a pro do the final external welds on the tank. Why? I had a little practice on some sheet with my TIG and found the old eyes are not what they used to be. Also lack of practice does nt help. So I will do all the internal welds and tack the whole thing together using the MIg and pass it to the pro for the final external welds. If this was not a fuel tank I would have done it myself but better safe than sorry.
I DO appreciate all the help given on MIG welding and that sort of pushed me to the decision to use a pro. Getting old does have its disadvantages.
Also after all the time its took to make the bits I dont want to end up spoiling it with Ego taking over.
Here the pics of the filler tube ready for welding.

filler3.jpg
filler2.jpg
filler1.jpg

Gerry

Hi Gerry, I love the look of the tank, simple, yet complicated. Assuming it's going to be plated, try to work as closely with the plating shop and polisher as possible. You have so many pieces, it's important to have everything pre-polished, so there is no warpage. It will, indeed, be a challenge for the plating company.

Hi Allen
Had a few chats with plating companies and the cost to plate this is horrendous. I have been looking at Alclad polished brass paint which may be a way to go. I want to get it finished and done then see what its like. I do all my own polishing so maybe that will get the price for plating down. Also I am not sure if the platers will have to make up a special Cathode (or is it anode) to get the brass in to the creases.
Gerry

Hi Gerry, Hmmm, I do have another suggestion. Once the tank is all welded together, you can cut the exact same pieces out of brass, a heavy gage, pre-polished, and then, use a two part hardener designed for metal and brass. You, then, come back on the edges with small angle pieces using the same application. Something to think about. There's no stress level, so the new apoxies would work forever. How I know is I've done it. The downside--- you cover up all your beautiful work. Just a thought.

Wondering about powder coating ... there are some very interesting colors available.

Ron

Now theres an interesting thought. Wonder if they do polished brass. There is a polished brass paint out there designed for models. I have tried to contact them but it seems they are too aloof to get hold of. It does look good but available in small quantities only. I think its call Alclad.

I really want to wait and see how it runes out before making a decision on what to do with a final finish
Gerry

Come on John. You MUST know Im a gentle sorta Guy

Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back