Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

gas mileage on t's????

chopper tom

what kind of gas mileage are you guys getting from your T's?
Is any body running a 305 cid chevy or v6's or 4 cyls too.

dang !?? you guys are scaring me ?
I was hoping to hear some 20's or 30's from you guys ?
I would have to say that smiles per gallon are priceless at leastwhile your driving.

Dont let us scare ya RPM and myself are running blown motors I think he runs a higher gear then I do.

man i love blowers but ,''durn'', 4-5 mpg? wow !
Thats gotta be bad at the pump.
Man i can only imagine the rush of power though,in a blown T- bucket.:rolleyes:

I'd be interested also in hearing from the guys running very mild SBCs and moderate gear ratios.....4-bangers too.

I'm running a stock 305 SBC. It has the factory 4 BBL Quadrajet carb, 350 turbo tranny and a rearend out of a '96 S-10 p/u (3.73 gears), if I keep my foot out of it a cruise along like a nice citizen, I get about 23-24 MPG. When I put my foot in it, she's quicker than just about anything on the street. It doesn't take a lot of HP to move these things. I plan on keeping my motor stock, not only for the mileage, but the maintenance is just about trouble free. In these times, ya can have fun and keep it simple.

I'm going to rebuild the carb in a couple weeks and the mileage should improve a little. I made a mistake in my calculations when I first checked my mileage and thought I was getting 28MPG, but now, that is my goal. 28-30MPG.

Now, if I win the lotto.... that's a whole new ball game. A blown 426 Hemi would get the nod. I'd love to have a T Bucket modeled after Nanook!:rolleyes:

nanook-1.jpg

Well... I have a high compression completely rebuilt 327 with tunnel ram, 2-500 Edelbrock carbs, with progressive linkage setup... I have to burn premium and I get 10 MPG if I don't get to carried away with the right foot... rear end gears are 3.35 to 1 posi-traction with TH350, B&M Shift kit and a 2000 RPM stall converter...

intake.jpg

350/350 with a RV cam and 1 carb with a 2.23 gear . i get around 18 mpg. i had a 4.10 posi in it and got about 12mpg and was running about 3500 rpms at 70mph so i switch to the 2.23 . not near as fun coming out of the red light but alot better on longer trips.

fuel injection is the only way...

i'm seriously thinking about a roller cam and mega squirt fuel injection system when i get farther into my build..

just for the incresed mileage..

all-world1 said:
I'd be interested also in hearing from the guys running very mild SBCs and moderate gear ratios.....4-bangers too.

I've posted this before, but surprisingly (to me too) my T got 30 mpg on the interstate coming from Billetproof. It has always been economical, getting over 20 on the highway, but the engine finally seated from being rebuilt, and with 3:00 gears I am just off idle at 60-65 mph. I have a '99 Chevy Vortec 355 in mine with a 350 turbo tranny. The carb is a single Edelbrock 600 and it runs very clean with that combo.

Even around town it is fantastic, usually when I need gas in the 10 gallon tank 4-5 gallons is all it takes. The 3:00 gears give me plenty of power too, even though I thought they might be too high. My Son has a built for racing 306 Ford in his T with 2:79 gears (those are coming out for some deeper ones to allow the engine to get into it's power band) and his milage is also pretty good, but the 2 x 4 setup runs a little rich.

Don't be afraid of the milage you will get, a mild engine can give some really good results. When you start hopping them up and putting things like tunnel rams and blowers on is when you start seeing the milage drop.

Don

MPG vs HP

Here is a site I set up after I paid $4.78 a gallon for fuel on my way back from Michigan. link I have not had time to promote it or even spend any time there but if we can't take a bucket that weights only 1900 lbs. and get some serous millage out of it we aint trying. my target is to have a cool 50 mpg bucket by the end of the year. We're hotrodders we can do it. I'm not sure whats up with the boys in Detroit and I don't even want to guess there reason behind things.

I get about 3-5 mpg. It is on the lower side now since I have gone with the full manual valvebody in the TH400 and 3500 stall. It is WAY too much fun now and VERY HARD NOT to have your foot in it all the time. Plus I tend to leave it in the lower gears longer than I should. But damn its FUN.

With a blown big block chev, 3000 stall converter and 3.55 gears I get around 5 to 7 mpg, it all depends how you drive it. It does use lots gas but it sure does haul ??? !!

Very Built 55 Chrysler hemi, 650 Holley, TH 350, 3,200 stall converter, 3:56 rear end...about 12 miles a gallon on average.

6-71-huffed 355 SBC, dual Edel 600s, progressive linkage, 2800-3000 stall TH350, 3.31 gears, 31" tires = 6 mpg city, 9 highway.

donsrods said:
I've posted this before, but surprisingly (to me too) my T got 30 mpg on the interstate coming from Billetproof. It has always been economical, getting over 20 on the highway, but the engine finally seated from being rebuilt, and with 3:00 gears I am just off idle at 60-65 mph. I have a '99 Chevy Vortec 355 in mine with a 350 turbo tranny. The carb is a single Edelbrock 600 and it runs very clean with that combo.

Even around town it is fantastic, usually when I need gas in the 10 gallon tank 4-5 gallons is all it takes. The 3:00 gears give me plenty of power too, even though I thought they might be too high. My Son has a built for racing 306 Ford in his T with 2:79 gears (those are coming out for some deeper ones to allow the engine to get into it's power band) and his milage is also pretty good, but the 2 x 4 setup runs a little rich.

Don't be afraid of the milage you will get, a mild engine can give some really good results. When you start hopping them up and putting things like tunnel rams and blowers on is when you start seeing the milage drop.

Don
Don, that's a lot better than I expected, maybe it's just the unknown of ultra-light weight cars (I'm so used to pouring the gas to my 4.2L Trailblazer). Looks like the 283 rebuild will be a go this winter. Thanks for your input.
Craig

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back