Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

gas mileage on t's????

Blown 454 with twin 750 Edelbrocks, 2500 stall in the glide. With 3.0 gears in the rear, and 31 tall tyres, and using the US sizing of a gallon, I got 11mpg.

I thought that was pretty good, and that was cruising on the open road at 55mph.

When I fitted up the 4.56 gears in the rear, with no other changes the open road milage dropped to a bit over 7mpg. Round town milage was real vicious.

So now the new blower engine is 540 cubes, and Im going to twin 1050 Dominators.

I figure I wont get far on a tank of gas. (Told you I was smart)

And down here fuel is about $6.50 per US gallon. But I am hoping to see a low 9 second quarter mile timeslip. :cool:

And I have a 302 Ford with a Holley projection in my 26T coupe, so that can be my economiser. Im hoping that will see 28mpg when sorted.

My 4X4 gets 11MPG. My RV maybe 7MPG, If my T gets 10 I'll be happy. If it gets 8 I'll even be happier. (means I'm going faster) I found along time ago good milleage is boring. I have a sign on my RV says "Make it 5 Bucks a Gallon I don't give a SH"

all-world1 said:
I'd be interested also in hearing from the guys running very mild SBCs and moderate gear ratios.....4-bangers too.

Stock SBC with Edelbrock copy intake and demon carb. 700r4 transmission with 3:08 rear gear. I got 10-12 MPG.

Putting the blower on now to increase the smiles per gallon.

30 plus v6 5 speed od 3.42 gears, all the power you would e ver need to burnem down. some v8s would have a hard time keeping up..;) have a nice day, see you in lenoir... tom.

I haven't got my T on the road yet, but I was using a two gallon fuel tank during tune-in, and it drained it in about 15 minutes, ha. Guess you could do a minute to miles ratio conversion to estimate it.

Got about 15 mpg on the Powertour with my '27 with a ford 302, 9.4 compression and dual 500 edelbrocks.

I've never checked my old T bucket, present engine is Ford FE, 3 2's mild hyd cam 4.56 olds rear and packard overdrive. glass t project in the back corner has pumped buick V 6 and 5 speed. other project has 350 -350 chev auto with 300 9 inch.

tom buckley said:
30 plus v6 5 speed od 3.42 gears, all the power you would e ver need to burnem down. some v8s would have a hard time keeping up..;) have a nice day, see you in lenoir... tom.

And that is why me and Sam follow Tom..when he aint looking we are going to start stealing his gas.....LOL
I average 20-22mpg with a mild 327, turbo 350 and a 2340lbs Tube T...which at 60mph I tach 3000. And she has LOTS and LOTS of power.

You know, I get pretty good milage at the moment...LOL.

IMG_0407.jpg

If you have to ask what the price is, you can't afford it. The same could be said for this. If you have to ask what the MPGs are, you shouldn't drive it.:razz:

I have a 350/350 in mine with a 2.88 RE and 30" tires. I run a mild cam and an Eidelbrok 750 carb. I just got back to Canyon Lake, TX from Lenoir, NC about 2600 miles. I got about 20mpg running 75+ mph most of the way. I use premium gas. My compression is about 10:1.

Time to get this old thread going again. My first 500 mile trip I got 13-14 mpg running from Lake Elsinore up the 15 to 395 and on to Lake Tahoe. This was running at 60 mph and 2250 rpms. I have a 4-speed manual and 3.54 gears in a Jag IRS. The Track-T weighs 1790 lbs. full of fuel. I had at that time a 650 cfm Holley double pumper with mech secondaries, an old race style, no vacuum advance Mallory distributor and 29" dia M/T bias rear tires. This Friday I am going back to Southern California with some improvements to the Track-T. They are a new Edelbrock 650 cfm with vacuum secondaries, new solid state Mallory with vacuum advance, new 30" dia M/T radials on the rear, and synthetic oil in the engine. I will recalibrate the speedo for the new tires. My hopes are 18-20 mpg and I'll post what I got after the trip.

"Time to get this old thread going again."

WHY? It's a Hot Rod !!!!!!!

You want gas mileage, get a Yugo or diesel Rabbit.

Mine gets around 22-23, IF (and that's a big IF) I can keep my foot out of it. That doesn't happen very often.:lol: 20-21 is about the norm. 18 if I'm pulling the trailer at interstate speeds or really hammering on it a lot.

I agree with the others that fuel mileage probably isn't a big concern with most folks when it comes to a hot rod. Most don't usually have enough annual miles put on them to matter unless you are really watching every penny.

Having said that, I do think that every engine and car should be well tuned. In Track T's case, changing carbs and adding vacuum advance seems to have improved low end torque and drivability. If he gets an increase in mileage (and I'm guessing that he will), that's just a nice bonus.

Mike

Speaking of tunnel rams. I have a 2/4 closed chamber Wieand and the carbs are dumping to much fuel starting out. With a closed chamber ram, can you use a little bit of progressive linkage, with out fouling things up?

Mike,

I just got the same mpg as you on this trip back to SoCal. It blew me away considering that before the changes I was only getting 13-14 MPG at 60 mph and got 23 MPG on the first half of trip, Placerville to Bakersfield at 65 mph and 22 MPG pulling the Grapevine to Pasadena. I then rewarded myself by a little more "spirited
" driving the rest the way home.

I know a lot of you guys share the feelings of "blownt" concerning fuel mileage of hot rods. I agree that a hot rod's purpose is not economy but full blown (no pun intended) performance. On that note though, they do coincide. Before making the changes to my Track-T, the smell of unburnt hydrocarbons reminded me of the days with my hemi powered V-drive flat bottom boat. Also before the changes, off idle and mid range power was good but not great. Full power is the same as before. Here in Southern California the Highway Patrol sometimes hangs out on the on ramps of the freeways with directional sniffers to stop and red tag gross polluters. I did feel quilty that the car I was driving was polluting as much as 100 other cars. A hot rod that has been assembled using componets that work in harmony with each other will give you both performance and better mileage with the side beneifit of less pollution. Corvettes for the last 20 years have broken 30 MPG at highway cruising speeds. Blown Shelby Mustangs get low 20's and have the best off idle performance of any car I've driven. The 540 HP Mustang Shelby engine in any of our T's would give performance above most every combination currently out there, would be clean, and again give good fuel mileage. Just my .02 worth.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back